Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada experiencing nationwide network outage 12Mar18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada experiencing nationwide network outage 12Mar18

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland

What I have always been impressed about with this industry is how open they are with safety. Any major air disaster there is an independent report form the regulator with a clear definition of what lead up to the disaster, clear recommendations and an industry perspective when it comes to corrective and preventative actions. From a safety perspective I am fairly confident in both AC and WestJet.

That has everything to do with the regulator, little to do with airlines. But also, there are still enough accident happening worldwide to remind anyone in the business that safety entails everyone doing thingds right.

On the IT front that is a different story. That said, its is not as bad as the major banks. About two weeks ago I wrote a US dollar cheque from a business RBC account in Canada to another business RBC account. Both under my control. The reason it is a paper cheque is you cant electronically transfer between US dollar accounts, you cant use the ATM, you can do online banking etc. Walk into the branch and the teller say I need to create and encode a deposit slip because the software will not let me do anything without a deposit slip with special encoding on the bottom. After 5 attempts and 30 minutes they finally have a deposit slip that the reader does not reject. Because it is US funds there is a 15 day hold, even though the teller can see both accounts.
Reliability is one thing. Capabilities when dealing with very marginal situations is another. Banks are doing much much better than AC when it comes to run their operations reliably. I don't recall the last time I could not log onto my bank because of some technical issue. They are very serious about redundancy. Even a major fire at one facility won't let them down.

AC is doing as well as many other major corporations in Canada.
Other "legacy" corporations as canadiancow mentions, maybe. Even so, not sure if "just as well" is accurate. But then that's not really an acceptable yardstick anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Actually, I've found the issues to be in organizations where they THINK their main product is not tech.

Today should make it clear how much of their main product is tech.

Think of your main product. If it's not tech, then ask yourself, can you deliver it without tech? If not, then tech is a huge part of your main product (not "necessary for your product", but "part of your product"), and needs to be treated as such.

I've been in stores where power went out. Some of them were quite capable of processing sales with power off. These stores do not have tech as their main product. It's a tool that makes them more efficient, but it's not part of their main product. Then there are stores where sales simply cannot be processed without power. The ones who treat tech as a tool simply close their doors during blackouts. The ones that treat it as part of their product have backup systems so they can continue their operations in the dark.

This is, in my opinion, the difference between a tech company and a "legacy" company. Like Uber versus taxis. Uber has made tech part of the "taxi product" (i.e. one-off car-based transportation), and look at them now.

It's all about how they treat the tech. As a core part of the product, or as an after-thought that they only deal with because it's necessary.
The difference is Uber designs software internally and contracts out operations. Air Canada contracts out tech and internally handles the business of running an airline.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Reliability is one thing. Capabilities when dealing with very marginal situations is another. Banks are doing much much better than AC when it comes to run their operations reliably. I don't recall the last time I could not log onto my bank because of some technical issue. They are very serious about redundancy. Even a major fire at one facility won't let them down.
I deal with three online banking systems. VanCity, RBC, BMO and AMEX. VanCity always work. RBC from time to time you try looking at your credit card transactions and it say "currently not available try again later". Fairly regular problem over the last two years. BMO sometimes has problems showing credit card transactions but does better that RBC, however they frequently have access to the bank statement pdf files down. Not impressed with the banks.

AC is still doing better. But not by much.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This change form earlier is interesting. It was only snow, yet now YYZ is showing this. Wonder if it's the same problem that isn't resolved, or a different one

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The difference is Uber designs software internally and contracts out operations. Air Canada contracts out tech and internally handles the business of running an airline.
Uber was one example, but it's basically the premise of most silicon valley companies. Acknowledge that the tech is a core part of a product, and beat all the companies that don't seem to understand that.

You're not selling transportation from A to B. You're selling a purchasing experience. A booking management experience. A check-in experience. A boarding experience. An onboard experience. Transportation from A to B. And maybe a baggage experience.

When RESIII goes down, you lose everything except the core of the transportation (I'm not sure what happened here, if it was just the inability to move a flight to the PD state, or if there were load calculations that couldn't be done, but planes were not taking off). The planes may not start dropping out of the sky, but if I can't check in, you've broken your product. If AC.com is down so I book on DL.com, you've broken your product.

Could you book tickets through OTAs or TAs, or was it impossible to issue 014 stock?

There are just so many aspects of a normal AC experience that are pure technology. They need to treat the tech the same way they treat the planes. My flight last night had a hole in a tire. It was still holding air, but we delayed 45 minutes to replace it. Why do they accept having a website where seat selection can't be done if I've booked through another channel, without going to a special page, and even then, it's not guaranteed to work?

AC (and many airlines) seem to focus most on the things that are heavily regulated, or could result in loss of life, but in terms of the overall business, I'm not convinced that aircraft maintenance is "important" and the website is "not important".
24left likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Uber was one example, but it's basically the premise of most silicon valley companies. Acknowledge that the tech is a core part of a product, and beat all the companies that don't seem to understand that.

You're not selling transportation from A to B. You're selling a purchasing experience. A booking management experience. A check-in experience. A boarding experience. An onboard experience. Transportation from A to B. And maybe a baggage experience.

AC (and many airlines) seem to focus most on the things that are heavily regulated, or could result in loss of life, but in terms of the overall business, I'm not convinced that aircraft maintenance is "important" and the website is "not important".
Agreed they don't put sufficient effort into mapping the customer journey and understanding how the tech defines the customer experience. That said, as a passenger last thing I want is for them to take their eyes off safety, but lets hope they have more than one set of eye balls that can drive things.

What would be cool, is a silicon valley try tech company that comes along and tries to be an airline. Like most tech companies they probably would contract out virtually everything else operational. ACMI leased aircraft, outsourced lounges, outsourced baggage handling etc. The company would be fully focused on that customer facing experience and optimize the tech to deliver that experience. It is only real assets would be the brand and the software. Not certain with all the moving parts someone could pull that off.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Agreed they don't put sufficient effort into mapping the customer journey and understanding how the tech defines the customer experience. That said, as a passenger last thing I want is for them to take their eyes off safety, but lets hope they have more than one set of eye balls that can drive things.

What would be cool, is a silicon valley try tech company that comes along and tries to be an airline. Like most tech companies they probably would contract out virtually everything else operational. ACMI leased aircraft, outsourced lounges, outsourced baggage handling etc. The company would be fully focused on that customer facing experience and optimize the tech to deliver that experience. It is only real assets would be the brand and the software. Not certain with all the moving parts someone could pull that off.
I remember after one of the budget/charter airlines died (not a Rowe product) back in the 90's the president spoke up.

TL;dr, with $5mil walking around cash you can start up an airline. Wet leased A/C, outsourced booking, swispoort on the ground... You need a head office of a couple of lawyers, accounts and marketing goons.

And the $5mil.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by After Burner
You're not suggesting lives were at risk are you?

I've been deeply involved in a few spectacular outages in the past ... the types that made the front page of the G&M. These companies were also transparent and provided detailed explanations. Except that the explanations were almost pure fiction. So you don't know if a company is being transparent and that you're getting the full story unless you have inside knowledge of what actually happened.

In my experience it was difficult to link these types of catastrophes to deficient levels of spending. Give an inept team a higher budget and the result will not be a more robust system; the result will simply be that more money is spent.
Well that's easily solved. Just give the inept team a smaller budget.

And I don't know why everyone keeps referring to this as an outage. I'm pretty sure it was just a scheduled maintenance period.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by ridefar

i am going to hazard a guess that there was a data centre outage. Probably unplanned power loss or interruption. It is tough to come up with other scenarios that take all apps offline. As appeared to be the case. Of course if there truly is just one app on which all others depend then I could easily be wrong. And they should definitely have a look at their availability plan in that case.
The likelihood of a data centre outage - in terms of power, cooling, or connectivity - is so absurdly low it doesn't register.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any opportunity for requesting compensation ?
Well, if you had a flight departing from the EU, yes.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:47 am

They are running an ad in the Globe and Mail, National Post and other major papers this morning!

Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by 24left
This change form earlier is interesting. It was only snow, yet now YYZ is showing this. Wonder if it's the same problem that isn't resolved, or a different one

As soon as management shows up this morning, they'll say, "Change Toronto(YYZ) to snow! We can't say 'computer problems'!"

Arrogance is denial.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by andrewBC
The likelihood of a data centre outage - in terms of power, cooling, or connectivity - is so absurdly low it doesn't register.
Yah, just absurdly low. It could never happen. Like, never. Like, impossible. Just simply can't happen.

https://www.networkworld.com/article...by-humans.html
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:01 am

Wow. The Halifax station must have gone rogue; they ran it in the Chronically Horrid in a larger font!

Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
They are running an ad in the Globe and Mail, National Post and other major papers this morning!

So what is the real source of this one? Looks like 22 Minutes or The Onion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.