Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which lounge(s) to use?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Which lounge(s) to use?

We will be traveling to Europe next week with 3 stops on AP award J tickets. Access to MLL and Star Alliance lounges is granted with these tickets. We also have a Priority Pass access (4 free passes for a year) that we can use. Which lounges to use at the following Airports ? :
YYC morning
YUL afternoon lots of time
ZRH morning lots of time
VIE morning
IST late morning 3 hrs
SFO evening lots of time
Any suggestions?
Chance of using the free passes on other than this trip is remote. Pass validity is not extendable as I understand it.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Here’s what I can contribute... don’t know much about SFO, unfortunately.

YYC morning: Air Canada domestic MLL
YUL afternoon lots of time: Air Canada international MLL
ZRH morning lots of time: I’d stay in the E tier as long as possible and use the Swiss business lounge there. If you have *G status, the adjacent SEN lounge is even better
VIE morning: the nearest Austrian business lounge
IST late morning 3 hrs: the Turkish lounge

There’s a pretty good app called “LoungeBuddy” which is useful at helping locate lounges in unfamiliar airports as well as understanding access requirements.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AC*75K
The IST Turkish Airlines lounge is absolutely amazing for food
The Lev, biglinguist and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:19 pm

YYC/YUL - Maple Leaf Lounge (had Priority Pass but lounges there aren't half as good as MLL)
ZRH - Swiss Lounge - departures and arrivals (if staying in ZRH). Food in ZRH lounge is great, they even have a chef making Omelettes.
SFO evening lots of time - Unfortunately United First Class/Business Class Lounge (arguably not on par with MLL)

Can't comment on VIE and IST as I haven't been there (although I hear the Turkish lounge is one of the nicest in the world).

Having used priority pass last year (was full member with unlimited visits) I can confidently say the lounges in North America aren't great (around same level as UA Club). However, in Europe and Africa they aren't that bad (i.e. you can easily get a satisfying meal out of such a visit).

Star Alliance has a website and app (iPhone and Android) that offer advice on lounge access.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
YYC morning: YYC was re-done not too long ago, but I can't say I've ever had breakfast there.
YUL afternoon lots of time: The new YUL international MLL is actually pretty nice, and you can get a decent meal and glass of wine before you leave on your TATL flight (much better than what is on the plane, including in J, IMO).
ZRH morning lots of time: The Swiss lounge in ZRH has a nice breakfast.
VIE morning: I've only been to the Austrian lounge in VIE once, and I have zero memories of it. Probably says something.
IST late morning 3 hrs: TK lounge is excellent, you'll be able to have a nice lunch.
SFO evening lots of time: The UA lounge in the SFO international pier with AC flights (G gates) is currently closed for renovation, or at least it was in January last I was there, and you have to walk back to another pier with another UA lounge which was one of the older ones and pretty mediocre. I ended up leaving the UA lounge and having dinner at a restaurant in the terminal.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, Marriott Gold
YYC domestic MLL (the only MLL at YYC) at breakfast prime time (6:00 am to 9:00 am) consists of three types of muffins, cereal, bread (toast), yogurt, and porridge. That's it.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by andrewt
The IST Turkish Airlines lounge is absolutely amazing for food
Spent a few hours there a couple years ago, best lounge I've been to so far, especially the food.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
SFO evening lots of time: The UA lounge in the SFO international pier with AC flights (G gates) is currently closed for renovation, or at least it was in January last I was there, and you have to walk back to another pier with another UA lounge which was one of the older ones and pretty mediocre. I ended up leaving the UA lounge and having dinner at a restaurant in the terminal.
If you're in J, you can go into their temporary international lounge, which is far better than any United Club in North America.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by roadracer
YYC domestic MLL (the only MLL at YYC) at breakfast prime time (6:00 am to 9:00 am) consists of three types of muffins, cereal, bread (toast), yogurt, and porridge. That's it.
That's what I call a CO breakfast (anyone who has been a UA Club recently will know what I mean)
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. It seems Star Alliance lounges are a better bet than Priority Pass lounges. In YYC departure is noon+, so I may not get breakfast and might be to soon for lunch?
In Zurich I have been to a regular E lounge but never at the arrival. I am a bit confused as to the location of each with respect to arrival in early morning from YUL. Do I go through passport control and then the arrival lounge and how to get to the "regular" in E from the arrival lounge if I wanted to change the scenery?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
It seems Star Alliance lounges are a better bet than Priority Pass lounges.
That statement is a bit rich. I'd say many *A lounges are better than Priority Pass lounges but can think of numerous examples where a *A lounge left much to be desired:
  • All UA Clubs (except perhaps Polaris lounge at ORD and First Lounge in SFO which sadly I don't have access to) - what lounge doesn't have a shower? Worse UA seems to give 0 f*!*$s about improving these lounges, focusing on just getting the nice Polaris lounges open. That being said they're still more classy than those AA lounges that have the gall to charge you for food! The only redeeming quality is you can order red bull from the bar gratis
  • MS lounges in CAI (domestic lounge is size of broom closet and international has limited food selection)

In Zurich I have been to a regular E lounge but never at the arrival. I am a bit confused as to the location of each with respect to arrival in early morning from YUL. Do I go through passport control and then the arrival lounge and how to get to the "regular" in E from the arrival lounge if I wanted to change the scenery?
Unsure what you mean by E lounge.For the ZRH arrivals it is located at arrivals 2 after you pass customs (see here). You may want to carry your FFP card since LX is notorious for requiring it (I had to argue with the dragon since the UA card I presented had an expiry of that month which meant it was still valid till end of month as I awaited UA to send me a new gold card). For ZRH lounges on departure I'd look at the websites I listed earlier. When I was there last time it took some time to locate the lounge and involved lugging my suitcase up a flight of stairs (definitely worth it given the wonderful views of the runway).

On a side note is it just me or are the LH lounges in the US the best? I was flying out of DTW back in January on UA Y (as *A Gold) and in the LH lounge there the food and beverage spread (several selections of top shelf German beers, veggie couscous, wraps, salads, soups, to name but a few) alone was orders of magnitude better than anything I've seen at any UA Club (I've been to most of them: ORD, EWR, SFO, DEN, HNL). I believe LH also has lounges at IAD and JFK as well although IAD and DTW are unique in that they are accessible for domestic flights.

Safe Travels,

James
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There is no more F lounge in SFO.
It's a temporary intl lounge in the G concourse, which most of the day is an absolute zoo.

its supposed to be for outbound UA J only (no star gold in Y) but it's crowded with AC tags, so riffruff on AC J is admitted subject to space.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Thank you all for the input. It seems Star Alliance lounges are a better bet than Priority Pass lounges. In YYC departure is noon+, so I may not get breakfast and might be to soon for lunch?
In ZRH, you’ll land at the E gates. If it’s open, you can go straight to the LX E lounge as you’ll be in the sterile area of terminal E. If you go through passport control, you’ve gone too far.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
In ZRH, you’ll land at the E gates. If it’s open, you can go straight to the LX E lounge as you’ll be in the sterile area of terminal E. If you go through passport control, you’ve gone too far.
This is what LX site says :
As soon as you arrive, you can freshen up in our Arrivals Lounge. Located directly after Customs, ....
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:18 pm

This is what LX site says :
As soon as you arrive, you can freshen up in our Arrivals Lounge. Located directly after Customs, ....
That’s absolutely correct — I misread your post and thought you were still asking about the E lounge. I suggested the E lounge during your layover and I guess that’s what I was fixated on

If you want to go landside and deal with the hassle of going through security for your flight to VIE, by all means, check out the arrivals lounge. It’s generally not very busy and has an abundance of showers with a solid breakfast spread.

BTW how long is “lots of time” in ZRH? When flying in from YUL, I often have outbound flights around noon and always head to the arrivals lounge then into town for those connections. There’s a convenient left luggage area of the Zurich airport train station and it’s just a 15-20 minute ride into town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.