Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Checked bags made the flight; we didn't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Last week, we were travelling YHZ-YYZ-PLS. Our original flight (AC603) from YHZ to YYZ was cancelled because the inbound aircraft had mechanical issues. We were rebooked on AC607, which made for a 65-minute dom-int'l connection at YYZ. Doable, if all went well. Our bags were tagged for a hot transfer.

Unfortunately, we arrived in YYZ almost 40 minutes late, which gave us about 20 minutes to make our connection to PLS. We charged through the terminal and arrived at the gate at 8.56 am (departure time was 9.05). It had already closed, and we asked the GA if we could still board.

She asked if we had checked bags, I said yes, and she replied that the bags wouldn't have had time to be transferred so therefore we couldn't board, because obviously we had to accompany our bags. My father was on the plane texting me, telling me that people were still walking down the aisle, etc., but the GA held firm and kept us off, saying we'd need to rebook for the next flight, the next day. The flight ultimately departed the gate a few minutes late, at 9.13.

At the customer service desk, we rebooked and got meal vouchers and a hotel covered, since the original cancellation we encountered was mechanical. The agent said we could pick up our bags if we wanted to, but we said no. In that case, we were told they'd be on the flight with us the next day. We were bummed about missing a day of our vacation but we got it: we missed the flight because of our checked bags.

Fast forward to the following day. When we arrived in PLS, our bags did NOT come off the carousel. After checking at the airport, it turned out that our bags HAD made our original flight and had been sitting in a storage room at PLS since the day before! Wait, what? So we were denied boarding based only on the GA's incorrect belief that our bags wouldn't make the flight? That decision cost us a day of our trip, allowed our bags to fly without us, and cost AC over $200 for meals and hotel to put us up in Toronto overnight. It seems like all parties came out behind on this one.

I've always been very lucky with checked bags and have never had to deal with anything like this before. I can't help but wonder: is visibility on the actual location of baggage really so poor that none of the agents we dealt with (at the gate, at customer service, and at checkin the next day) could see that our bags had been loaded and departed after all? My complaint to AC only got a canned response and the usual discount code offer, so I'd be interested in any insight from the experts.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by allizdog
The flight ultimately departed the gate a few minutes late, at 9.13.

Probably because they had to wait for bags to finish loading ;-)

I can't help but wonder: is visibility on the actual location of baggage really so poor that none of the agents we dealt with (at the gate, at customer service, and at checkin the next day) could see that our bags had been loaded and departed after all? My complaint to AC only got a canned response and the usual discount code offer, so I'd be interested in any insight from the experts.

I almost never never check bags, but last week I had an overzealous LH GA in BCN decide myself and several of the other priority boarding pax were going to have to check our rollboards. I was less than impressed, but went along with it since arguing with airport staff is mostly pointless. Connected in MUC, and I asked the GA there to make sure my bag had made it "yes MrRatherBeInYOW, the computer shows that it is on station here and is being loaded in to the aircraft now".

Anecdotal evidence: yes, they have visibility.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
She asked if we had checked bags, I said yes, and she replied that the bags wouldn't have had time to be transferred so therefore we couldn't board, because obviously we had to accompany our bags.
BS. If you had arrived at the gate at 8:54 instead of 8:56 then no question you would be allowed to board and they would not even check if your checked bags made it or not. They would not care. If bags are there great, if not you will get them on the next flight.

So I do not buy that the 2 min difference had anything to do with bags.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escape4
BS. If you had arrived at the gate at 8:54 instead of 8:56 then no question you would be allowed to board and they would not even check if your checked bags made it or not. They would not care. If bags are there great, if not you will get them on the next flight.

So I do not buy that the 2 min difference had anything to do with bags.
Thanks - that was my thinking as well. I asked if we could still board now and have our bags go down the next day. I got a hard no on that, but the opposite scenario was not a problem, apparently.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
This is based on having gotten to a gate < 10 mins to a departure on a tight connection.

Boarding was still underway, I went up the empty Z1/2 line and asked the agent if my bags were gonna make it, she said yes. I didn’t believe her but didn’t want to hold up general boarding.

We actually pushed back about 30 mins late, and luggage did make it.

Given the number of flights I’ve had delayed because of having to offload bags (for security reasons) from pax that didn’t make the flight .. it staggers me that this could occur. To my mind it’s quite a security lapse that AC should be made aware of and investigate. The intention is that bags can come late as long as the intention was to travel with them. They shouldn’t go early.

As to stopping loading, well this is par for the course with many airlines (not that I agree with it in cases like this where the plane was still loading) and not a huge surprise. I always wonder here how oversold the flight was and when (if) they offloaded the pax.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Probably because they had to wait for bags to finish loading ;-)

I almost never never check bags, but last week I had an overzealous LH GA in BCN decide myself and several of the other priority boarding pax were going to have to check our rollboards. I was less than impressed, but went along with it since arguing with airport staff is mostly pointless. Connected in MUC, and I asked the GA there to make sure my bag had made it "yes MrRatherBeInYOW, the computer shows that it is on station here and is being loaded in to the aircraft now".

Anecdotal evidence: yes, they have visibility.
FYI, the proper response is "ok" and then you rip off the tag once you board
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
Given the number of flights I’ve had delayed because of having to offload bags (for security reasons) from pax that didn’t make the flight .. it staggers me that this could occur. To my mind it’s quite a security lapse that AC should be made aware of and investigate. The intention is that bags can come late as long as the intention was to travel with them. They shouldn’t go early.
Exactly - this was going through my mind as well, since they make a point of offloading bags if the passengers didn't make the flight. It sure seemed like the system thought we should be on the flight, but our GA disagreed.

I don't want to make a CBC story out of it, but I wish there was a better way to try and make AC aware of it than just filling out their web form and getting a "we'll share your comments with management" response.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I have been in MUC making a tight connection. Get up to the AC desk, gate agent scans the boarding pass, say. "Oh, you bags may not make it." types something into the computer, and says ok, they are going to make it and lets me board. I have this recently and several years ago. So the visibility is there and has been for some time.

I think the principle is you can not intentionality check bags into a specific flight and then no-show for boarding. The bags are removed. This is to avoid the Air India type event that happened out of Canada many years ago.

It is ok if you bags are separated from you and re-routed onto a different aircraft when done by the airline and the specific routing is outside the passengers control.
monkai likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by pewpew
FYI, the proper response is "ok" and then you rip off the tag once you board
Well, I didn't have the bag any more when I boarded in BCN, it was in the cargo hold, and I didn't see it in MUC. I retrieved the bag when I got to YUL. Went to the AC transfer desk and told the agent my story. She took one look at my bag, ripped the checked bag tag off of it and told me to carry it on to my next flight.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Visibility to checked luggage seems to be hit or miss, and depends on station.

Seems like AC doesn't always scan bag tags when luggage is loaded onto the plane. I've had concierges tell me that my delayed bag was supposed to be loaded onto ACxxx, but they didn't scan it onto the plane.

I've also had other instances where they knew exactly where the bag was, which flight it was loaded onto, etc. Really depends on if the ground crew scanned the tag or not.

I loved DL's bag tracking feature - and it's right in their app too!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights, everyone. Sounds like we fell through the cracks in the system. It all worked out in the end, apart from the shortened trip, but I feel educated to perhaps be a little more forceful with the GA next time, if there is one, and try to get them to see what may be happening to our bags.l before unilaterally denying us boarding without even checking.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Exactly - this was going through my mind as well, since they make a point of offloading bags if the passengers didn't make the flight. It sure seemed like the system thought we should be on the flight, but our GA disagreed..
I believe that the bags are pulled off the plane if the passenger voluntarily does not make the flight. They do not appear to be as concerned if it is an involuntary separation. For example, I was to fly YEG YYC PHX last Friday. The YEG YYC flight was delayed to the point where we would certainly misconnect in YYC. We flew YVR instead, and took the PHX flight the next day. One of my son's bags made the YEG YYC flight, so they had to send it YYC YVR. That was no problem for them at all, even though we were not on either leg that the bag took.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Visibility to checked luggage seems to be hit or miss, and depends on station.

Seems like AC doesn't always scan bag tags when luggage is loaded onto the plane. I've had concierges tell me that my delayed bag was supposed to be loaded onto ACxxx, but they didn't scan it onto the plane.

I've also had other instances where they knew exactly where the bag was, which flight it was loaded onto, etc. Really depends on if the ground crew scanned the tag or not.

I loved DL's bag tracking feature - and it's right in their app too!
Friend gets to YYZ and is told his bag has already been transferred onto his flight down to YXU (that was cancelled) but they'll go get it.
Two hours later he's told his bag is actually still in Germany, and it'll arrive that the next day. This was Friday, bag arrived YYZ Saturday and YXU Tuesday.
And yes, YYZ YXU flights were operating. Some of them anyway. You'd think a priority bag on a J ticket for an E50k would be prioritized. But perhaps not.

It seems complete hit or miss as to any airlines ever have any idea where your bag is. I have other friends who have personal stories of the kind you hear in those articles where their bag should have it's own personal status getting back to them over two weeks.
So glad it's not a security concern. Oh, actually
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I believe that the bags are pulled off the plane if the passenger voluntarily does not make the flight. They do not appear to be as concerned if it is an involuntary separation. For example, I was to fly YEG YYC PHX last Friday. The YEG YYC flight was delayed to the point where we would certainly misconnect in YYC. We flew YVR instead, and took the PHX flight the next day. One of my son's bags made the YEG YYC flight, so they had to send it YYC YVR. That was no problem for them at all, even though we were not on either leg that the bag took.
My understanding also and it makes sense.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
If the bag is scanned planeside by the Ramp Crew successfully, then you know the bag is onboard.

If the bag is scanned in the Bagroom successfully, it could still fall off enroute to the aircraft, the tub/container left behind, etc., but is likely too onboard.

If the bag is scanned anywhere unsuccessfully, then you have to hope someone will try to figure out why and solve the problem before the flight departs.

If the bag is not scanned, then it is not possible to know for sure where it is.

So to answer your original question, it is possible the bag was not scanned onboard but was onboard hence why the gate agent thought the bag wasn't onboard.
While this is a security breach, this type of breach is between Air Canada and the regulatory authorities, and does not involve the passenger.
The customer dissatisfaction aspect of the above is a customer service issue, and writing to Customer Relations and getting a discount code seems like the process worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.