Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No flight info on UA flights at MLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:40 am
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue

On 20 Feb., I was checking for latest info at the MLL for my flight to IAH. I approached the desk when none was found and the woman told me that flight info on UA flights were no longer posted as they (UA) don't pay for for the postings, that I should go downstairs, find a UA counter to check. It didn't sound right (still doesn't) as MLL is a Star Alliance lounge and UA is part of the *A group.
Anybody with similar experience?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Well, all I can say is that I have been in a couple of non-MLL branded lounges very recently, and the UA flight info I was tracking, as well as all the other airlines using that concourse I was in, were listed on "their" monitors.

I think you were [insert suitable adjective here].
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there is or was a cost to UA to post info and UA no longer pays , why should the MLL post that information?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by acysb87
If there is or was a cost to UA to post info and UA no longer pays , why should the MLL post that information?
well in keeping with Air Canada motto of who cares about the customer you are correct.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
"If" and "if," then yeah, sure -- UA shouldn't be getting something for free.

But do lounge-operating airlines really charge other airlines to display flight information? Doesn't really sound like a legit request since these other airlines already pay an access fee on behalf of their members.
gcashin likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ffsim
"If" and "if," then yeah, sure -- UA shouldn't be getting something for free.

But do lounge-operating airlines really charge other airlines to display flight information? Doesn't really sound like a legit request since these other airlines already pay an access fee on behalf of their members.
im sure most of these are AC customers if they are in the MLL lounge, perhaps doing short flights to EWR/ORD/DEN/IAH/IAD and does it really make sense to piss off a customer?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Because this is not a benefit to UA; it's a benefit to the customers.

By the time you're in the lounge, you're way past the "advertising" stage (which is where there would be a material benefit to UA). And BTW, the customers we're talking about could well be customers who purchased an 014 ticket on ac.com, and just happen to be flying on UA metal.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Its been like this for a while now.
They don't list other Star flights either.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its been like this for a while now.
They don't list other Star flights either.
Yes this is correct. Which is silly because this is also a star alliance lounge. And why would they not post when this is free info available all over the terminal.
ffsim, CZAMFlyer and Twickenham like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:31 am

Has anyone tried polling the lounge staff for current status of a specific UA flight?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Has anyone tried polling the lounge staff for current status of a specific UA flight?
I have and was told that they do not provide info on anything but AC flights. At the YYZ TB lounge.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Yes this is correct. Which is silly because this is also a star alliance lounge. And why would they not post when this is free info available all over the terminal.
Exactly, there are 12 other Star members serving YYZ T1!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
Flight info on monitors throughout the terminal public areas is provided at no charge by the airport authority. Lounges are in lease space, and the monitors within are owned by the lounge operator and updated independently. The systems are not, to my knowledge, linked. This is why you may see a given flight listed as 'on time' in the lounge, yet 'delayed' at the gate. I'll give you three, two, one guess as to which info is more accurate: that provided by the airport schedulers or by your favourite Maple Leaf airline.

Why AC doesn't request receive Alliance partner flight info to display in its transborder and international lounges is puzzling.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I heard the "no we don't show that" at YYZ TB, but without them trying to lie it away with UA not being willing to pay.

That is possible, I suppose, but more likely just indifference/laziness on the part of AC.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EVA flight in YVR intl also not on the board in the MLL.

Not sure I buy the whole they won't pay us excuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.