Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Urgent - Passport Expiry

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
booohoo...... i wanted a guinea pig for this experiment!!!!
Thanks for volunteering! ^
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Saw it last year entering the US (not myself, someone I was travelling with) in fact. However, that is totally YMMV depending on the customs agent, the country, etc..
I think USA now requires the validity to be the date of your departure .....
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Seems correct according to timatic.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
booohoo...... i wanted a guinea pig for this experiment!!!!
Perhaps a slightly different experiment, but I was recently stopped in YVR for checking into a flight with a passport that had just under 6 months validity (5 months 3 weeks til expiry). The agent would allow me to LAX, but said they'd not let me board there onto the onward flight to SIN. I managed to board by producing a second passport, but presented myself to the immigration official in SIN with the soon-to-expire document and was allowed in without so much as a cursory glance.
It's a frustrating rule (it's really a 9.5-year passport, isn't it), but not a hard & fast one when you actually get into the trenches.

I suspect airlines are a lot more sticky than are immigration officials, as airlines are on the hook for returning you - and possibly paying fines - if you're refused entry at the destination.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Perhaps a slightly different experiment, but I was recently stopped in YVR for checking into a flight with a passport that had just under 6 months validity (5 months 3 weeks til expiry). The agent would allow me to LAX, but said they'd not let me board there onto the onward flight to SIN. I managed to board by producing a second passport, but presented myself to the immigration official in SIN with the soon-to-expire document and was allowed in without so much as a cursory glance.
It's a frustrating rule (it's really a 9.5-year passport, isn't it), but not a hard & fast one when you actually get into the trenches.

I suspect airlines are a lot more sticky than are immigration officials, as airlines are on the hook for returning you - and possibly paying fines - if you're refused entry at the destination.
Basically its a reason why Mrs GHT starts freaking out 1.5 years before passport expiry *rolleyes*
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The US entry to end date is only the case for say, Canadian passports.

Do passports only last 9.5 years? As a minimum I believe I’ve always gotten 6-9 months added onto my UK ones. Current one is good for over 10 years.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
I checked timatic for an EU passport and it seemed to be the same.

Do passports only last 9.5 years? As a minimum I believe I’ve always gotten 6-9 months added onto my UK ones. Current one is good for over 10 years.
Six months before 10 years. Country in question wants a passport valid for over six months at entry.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:46 am

From my experience Passport Canada can turn around passports next day or even same day if you have proof of travel and supposing you have all your ducks lined up.

A friend lost his passport a couple years ago and had a flight to the US next morning. Popped into Passport Canada office in Kitchener, explained the situation, gave his itinerary and got a replacement passport first thing the next morning (i.e. 7 AM) and had someone drop him off at YYZ to make his morning flight in time.

Another colleague had an international flight next day. While checking his passport he noticed (to his horror) that the biometric page of the passport was damaged (i.e. photo faded out rendering entire passport uselesss). Same thing happened here, went to Passport Canada office in Montreal, showed the damaged passport, confirmed next day booking and received his new passport that day (I believe he had to physically stay at the office past normal hours).

I know griping about our government is a national pastime but if there's one agency that has its act together it's the Passport office.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
I checked timatic for an EU passport and it seemed to be the same.

Six months before 10 years. Country in question wants a passport valid for over six months at entry.
Interesting, this might be a new thing. I'm sure it was 6 months (or 3) in the past for US/Canada. Could well be before ESTA/eTA though so a way back.
So I checked and my passport is valid Sept 10 to June 21. 10 years, 9 months. It's only because I've hardly traveled the last while that it's still usable, I have like two spaces left for paper visas (I know many here run out far faster than me though).

Originally Posted by j2simpso
From my experience Passport Canada can turn around passports next day or even same day if you have proof of travel and supposing you have all your ducks lined up.
The passport office in Canada and most other places actually are pretty good and one reason I want to get my Canadian passport sooner than later given it can take months get a replacement PR card.
However, trying to get a replacement passport due to one being stolen around a long weekend ... is a little more challenging.

And in the case of the OP here; I don't think a few hours is possible
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Local immigration officials allow all types of nominal document failures to pass. That does not mean anything as all that matters is the specific immigration officer you encounter on your trip.

Air carriers are much tougher. They get fined and required to return the passenger to the point of origin. No front line carrier staff get bonus points for allowing someone to proceed who may face exclusion on arrival.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 9, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry

UK passport holders are allowed to renew up to nine months before expiry and the remaining time will be added on to the new passport. So you could actually be issued a new passport with 10 yrs 9 mos validity. NZ does something similar. But not Canada :-(
--
13F
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
UK passport holders are allowed to renew up to nine months before expiry and the remaining time will be added on to the new passport. So you could actually be issued a new passport with 10 yrs 9 mos validity. NZ does something similar. But not Canada :-(
--
13F
Yeah this what what I did. Thanks for confirming it’s not a global thing though, booo. Still at least they do 10 year ones now ...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

Yeah this what what I did. Thanks for confirming it’s not a global thing though, booo. Still at least they do 10 year ones now ...
Me too. It’s a great feature. I’ve also had an Italian immigration official at Rome airport (post 9/11) accept an expired EU passport in lieu of a current Canadian one. Didn’t even so much as raise an eyebrow over the fact it was expired.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I certainly had some interesting conversations with US CBP entering on an H1B with less than two months less on my passport.

"When are you leaving?"
"I don't have anything booked, but it will be before the expiry date."

That was sufficient.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Excellent discussion guys.

I agree with the comments made about the passport office, super well oiled machine.

what ended up happening in our case, as mentioned earlier in in the thread was that the supposed day of departure (March 7th) I took the flights as scheduled, my colleague changed for the next day (and subsequently got to fly LH instead of AC, so bonus?) . Passport was ready that same Evening at 9pm.

Astonishing isn't is? The CRA can take months to process a simple tax return and then loose the record of payment (grrrr) but the passport office is a real gem!

Anyways, Budapest is great. First time for me, nice to be east of the Rhine for once.
ffsim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.