Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Time for AC to petition TC to allow mobile device use during flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

Despite undoubtably seeing the safety video countless times and knowing that all portable electronic devices should be set to Airplane Mode, Air Canada's corporate photographer recently live-streamed parts of a YUL-YTZ flight. Transport Canada's rules presumably apply to airline employees, too, so this should not have been allowed.

To be absolutely clear, I personally see nothing wrong with his actions. I enjoy (much of) the content shared by the accounts I follow on social media, and being able to "tune in" for parts of this particular flight provided an element of entertainment during a rather dull day. Furthermore, the AC employee's actions didn't cause the plane to plummet out of the sky or land on Lake Shore Blvd rather than YTZ's runway 26.

So I ask: why should we not be permitted to use transmitting and receiving functions on our mobile devices after push-back and during the flight? AC should petition TC to scrap its arcane rule and allow those who wish to be connected the opportunity to do so without fear of being tossed from their flight.

Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, on flights hat offer internet, presumably we can enable transmission when in flight.

Secod, however, I would hate that phone calls should be allowed.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
First, on flights hat offer internet, presumably we can enable transmission when in flight.
Not cellular transmitting or receiving functions.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Secod, however, I would hate that phone calls should be allowed.
Me too, but it feels like a worthwhile tradeoff to be allowed to use data features below 10,000 feet when in-flight wifi isn't operational. Airlines can just make their own rule like, "no phone calls when the seatbelt sign is illuminated."
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:56 pm

I'm curious (not critical): how essential is it to have data features below 10,000 ft? Being without them for 10 or 20 minutes means what?

And +1 (or better, +1000) for no phone calls! I sat across the aisle from "Boris the Conductor" who had to be told seven times to stop yapping on his cellphone by the SD before take-off. Listening in, none of his calls were about life-threatening crises.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Another +1000 for no phone calls. On my most recent flight in J, I had the pleasure of sitting beside a girl/woman of 18-23'ish years who (I deduced) still lived at home and was complaining on the phone to a parent (mother, I assume) how extremely, horribly TRAUMATIZED she was because her brother had messed up her shoes which had been arranged oh-so-carefully under her bed. This had been going on in the gate line-up and continued during boarding, and anyone with headphones (including me) promptly plopped them on as soon as we realized she was within earshot. By the time the SD got her to shut it (after at least 3 requests, probably more), the rest of the J cabin was desperately grabbing for those cheap free earbuds just to have something to stick into their ears to block out the whinging.

I can't imagine anyone being locked in a plane and having to put up with that for any part of the actual flight.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I never EVER want phone calls to be allowed. I already don't wanna hear how Jim made the sales, but the meeting has been pushed back to 3pm while in the lounge, but on the plane I wanna hear it even less. I kinda love that airplanes, while full of annoyances, manage to avoid the phone calls. Text/email/message to your heart's content.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:19 pm

No. Calls. Ever.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Folks, I'm not talking about phone calls here.

Let me spell it out: if an airline employee can use the DATA transmission and receiving functions during a flight, AC should petition to make such an act legal.

That's the point of this thread.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Maybe I’m being stupid but how is 4G or any data going to work at 39,000 ft?

I get that it’s only about 10km up but I though it didn’t work, too high or whatever?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
I'm curious (not critical): how essential is it to have data features below 10,000 ft? Being without them for 10 or 20 minutes means what?
Having is better than not having. I can get more stuff done.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
So doesn't in-flight wifi solve these problems rather than 3g/4g service? Yes you could make a WhatsApp or FaceTime call via WiFi but at least regular mobile calls wouldn't be allowed. Plus there is a ton of carrier complexity that is cutout by not offering cell service.

I'll bet that's what Brian was using. Perhaps they just need to enable wifi during the entire flight.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:02 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by knotseh
So doesn't in-flight wifi solve these problems rather than 3g/4g service? Yes you could make a WhatsApp or FaceTime call via WiFi but at least regular mobile calls wouldn't be allowed. Plus there is a ton of carrier complexity that is cutout by not offering cell service.

I'll bet that's what Brian was using. Perhaps they just need to enable wifi during the entire flight.
DH4s don't have WiFi...
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ffsim
Not cellular transmitting or receiving functions.

Me too, but it feels like a worthwhile tradeoff to be allowed to use data features below 10,000 feet when in-flight wifi isn't operational. Airlines can just make their own rule like, "no phone calls when the seatbelt sign is illuminated."
I too think both phone calls and smoking should be allowed in flight.

But just like in a restaurant you have to step outside.
flyquiet, jc94, CanadaDH and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
DH4s don't have WiFi...
Ah I didn't look close enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.