Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC860 from St. John's is beating Halifax load factor

AC860 from St. John's is beating Halifax load factor

Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I just read that YHZ shipped 10,000 tonnes of seafood last year. That's a lot of lobster.

Also, I imagine that the high load factor still has a good number of YHZ travellers. A stop in YYT is still way better than backtracking to YUL or YYZ. Every 763 that comes East to YYT comes from YHZ.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The repositioning between YHZ and YYZ also gives this NA travelers a chance to play in pods.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The repositioning between YHZ and YYZ also gives this NA travelers a chance to play in pods.
Same here! I look for the 763 any time I'm flying from/to YHZ (and I happen to be booked on 619 in J towards the end of March, haha).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by nave888
I thought I heard somewhere that YHZ-LHR has a lot of cargo that helps the flight? If so, it might make sense for AC to use one aircraft, fill the cargo hold in YHZ, and fill the cabin in YYT....
I wonder if cargo alone on YHZ-LHR would justify a 788 once the 763s go, instead of the speculated 7M8?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I think it would be much more logical for Air Canada to fly a 788(or 763) twice weekly YYT-LHR in the winter, and four times weekly in the summer. I would way rather fly on a proper widebody over any domestic aircraft. This is especially true for biz class passengers who would get a lie flat seat. Considering how full this flight is, it would just make sense for AC to do this. Or maybe I just wanna see a widebody going transatlantic from YYT year round haha...but in all honesty the market is there!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by Will_YYT
I think it would be much more logical for Air Canada to fly a 788(or 763) twice weekly YYT-LHR in the winter, and four times weekly in the summer. I would way rather fly on a proper widebody over any domestic aircraft. This is especially true for biz class passengers who would get a lie flat seat. Considering how full this flight is, it would just make sense for AC to do this. Or maybe I just wanna see a widebody going transatlantic from YYT year round haha...but in all honesty the market is there!
I'd rather have daily service on a small plane given the short route, but I agree, lie flats and possibility of PY would be great!

I can imagine international wide body dinner service on a red eye that can clock at just over 4 hours. It takes them almost 2 hours from take off to clear away dinner, and breakfast (or some lovely banana-like baked product in Y) at 1.5 hours before landing. Enjoy your lie flat for that half hour nap
smallmj likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I'd prefer a day-tripper on the narrow body and also not really sure it matters that much on the red-eye either. This has been debated many times, but the flight is not materially different in length than many transcons (e.g. YOW/YUL-YVR) which are routinely on narrow-bodies. The days of large half filled (or filled with low revenue) aircraft on YYT-LHR are over despite the nostalgia of having had service since the mid-19th century. I don't see this route being on the 788. In fact, I'm surprised they brought it back with the A319 after it had been originally canceled.

The big problem with running the LHR-YYT-YHZ route was the need for everyone going on to YHZ to go through customs in YYT and re-board, or AC being unable to sell the empty seats YYT-YHZ if they didn't.

I think the real problem is that neither YYT nor YHZ can support daily year-round service to LHR. Ironically, this has somewhat saved the service since they can allocate an a/c during the off season to share the route without too much disruption to aircraft scheduling.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
I'd prefer a day-tripper on the narrow body and also not really sure it matters that much on the red-eye either. This has been debated many times, but the flight is not materially different in length than many transcons (e.g. YOW/YUL-YVR) which are routinely on narrow-bodies. The days of large half filled (or filled with low revenue) aircraft on YYT-LHR are over despite the nostalgia of having had service since the mid-19th century. I don't see this route being on the 788. In fact, I'm surprised they brought it back with the A319 after it had been originally canceled.

The big problem with running the LHR-YYT-YHZ route was the need for everyone going on to YHZ to go through customs in YYT and re-board, or AC being unable to sell the empty seats YYT-YHZ if they didn't.

I think the real problem is that neither YYT nor YHZ can support daily year-round service to LHR. Ironically, this has somewhat saved the service since they can allocate an a/c during the off season to share the route without too much disruption to aircraft scheduling.
Widebody makes sense, especially in the winter with strong winds on the westbound leg. You say this flight is empty, but it is actually profitable for AC based on current numbers! Now I know it is only twice weekly, but the widebody service is still warranted for sure I mean the plane is fully loaded. Everybody seems to think YHZ is the centre of Atlantic Canada...YYT is much more of a business hub=more business for AC.

Last edited by codfather; Feb 28, 2018 at 9:12 pm Reason: Typed the wrong message
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC P25
Widebody makes sense, especially in the winter with strong winds on the westbound leg. You say this flight is empty, but it is actually profitable for AC based on current numbers! Now I know it is only twice weekly, but the widebody service is still warranted for sure I mean the plane is fully loaded. Everybody seems to think YHZ is the centre of Atlantic Canada...YYT is much more of a business hub=more business for AC.
Could you elaborate on the "profitable for AC based on current numbers part"? Always curious for real data!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

I do not have the specifics, but somebody I know who works for AC informed me that the flight has been just about full every night its gone across the pond from YYT. Same person also said that these numbers were predominantly passengers originating in YYT, and not just people flying YHZ-YYT-LHR. Full flight of pax and cargo is gonna mean money for any airline
yytleisure likes this.

Last edited by codfather; Mar 1, 2018 at 1:16 pm Reason: Mistake
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:06 pm

I do not have the specifics, but somebody I know who works for AC informed me that the flight has been just about full every night its gone across the pond from YYT. Same person also said that these numbers were predominantly passengers originating in YYT, and not just people flying YHZ-YYT-LHR. Full flight of pax and cargo is gonna mean money for any airline
This type of evidence is provided here often, but how does anyone know how many $10,000 full fare business tickets were purchased? It's profitable with a fully amortized 763 or 319 and low oil, but is it with the capital cost of a new 788 or max a/c? It's full, but at everyone paying $400 each way? The cargo argument was a biggie when service was canceled previously from a 763, presumably that cargo has found other ways as well (e.g. fresh seafood doesn't work well at 2-3 times per week). Not saying you're wrong, just don't see the data to back it up.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

Problem being Daytripper service is very poor for connectivity based on early evening arrivals at LHR and curfews at the airport. Only a handful of N/American Cities can support the O & D service such as YYZ/BOS/JFK/EWR.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I didn't realize AC had widebody service on this route 60 years prior to the Wright Brothers' first flight
RangerNS likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

@YZF_Elite Air Canada would not still continue this route if it was not somewhat profitable. I understand that the evidence I have provided is not exactly concrete evidence, but unless you work in a senior position with AC I doubt you would know the exact load figures for the flight such as cargo, economy pax, first class pax, etc. Your argument about it being half filled just isn't very true, it has been very full most nights. In fact, last I checked the YYZ-LHR flights were totally empty compared to this one which is funny and unusual.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:13 pm

@YZF_Elite Air Canada would not still continue this route if it was not somewhat profitable. I understand that the evidence I have provided is not exactly concrete evidence, but unless you work in a senior position with AC I doubt you would know the exact load figures for the flight such as cargo, economy pax, first class pax, etc. Your argument about it being half filled just isn't very true, it has been very full most nights. In fact, last I checked the YYZ-LHR flights were totally empty compared to this one which is funny and unusual.
I enjoy the debate and particularly since it is my home province. Welcome to the forum and I hope you generate more interesting posts.

I have agreed that that it is likely full, just not sure if folks paid decent fares or not. Off to SJU tomorrow if the weather here at IAD cooperates, I'll keep an eye out for further posts but may be enjoying the Royal Caribbean drink package too much

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.