Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Olympian not happy with economy seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympian not happy with economy seating

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by Trooper
He can't be a public figure when it suits him and expect folks to ignore what he says when it doesn't. If he wanted to send that childish and unworthy message JUST to his friends there are ways to do just that....

A "good kid"? Maybe that's part of the problem..... at 25 I was a Naval officer responsible for the welfare of 29 young sailors..... Since when do 25 year olds get a pass because they are "kids"? If they do these days....then maybe that's why they act the way they do!
Very well said. When I was 18 I became an adult. And, when I was 23 I had the ability as an officer to call in direct tactical nuclear weapon strikes along the FEBA on behalf of my armored regiment in Europe. Definitely not "kid" stuff..............

Thankfully there are enough electronic fingerprints online about this guy and his actions now, so that any prospective sponsor looking to sign him up is going to see it and act accordingly when they Google his name. It's a shame to be learning such "basic" life lessons at 25, but hey, to each their own right ?

He'll look good in a paper hat and a headset in his next career.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by KDS777
Thankfully there are enough electronic fingerprints online about this guy and his actions now, so that any prospective sponsor looking to sign him up is going to see it and act accordingly when they Google his name. It's a shame to be learning such "basic" life lessons at 25, but hey, to each their own right ?
If this guy continues to snowboard well, he'll have absolutely no problems lining up eager sponsors. It's amazing how inflated this 'controversy' has become. If anything, this has served to elevate his profile far above what it would have been had he kept his phone in his pocket. I think the notion of shameful "basic life lessons" was shattered after several 'nobodys' became household names after a deliberate controversial act (ahem: Hilton/Kardashian/Ritchie et al). Please note that I'm not implying this tweet was designed to springboard a post-Olympic career, but it's worked exceptionally well for some.
Originally Posted by KDS777
He'll look good in a paper hat and a headset in his next career.
My theory in my post above is thus borne out.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I don't get it. He's a strong, fit guy beyond the average. He can endure economy much better than most. Seems if anything a compup would be highly undeserved.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Handcake
If this guy is so rich, why isn't he buying J seats himself? Why does he have to fly AC? Korean Air has a ICN-YYZ, and Asiana does ICN-YVR. There are choices. I don't have a million dollar house or sponsorship deals and I prefer J to Y, and lately that's what I buy.
Despite the allusion above to him earning hundreds of thousands or millions of sponsorship and prize money, he's likely not a rich guy unless he comes from money. Even if hundreds of thousands or a million is true, of which I'm a bit skeptical, remember that he has been a pro snowboarder for about 13 years (according to other posts in this thread). Even if he has earned $1 million over that time, over 13 years, that's $76K a year, which is okay money, but not exactly 1% money. And a decent chunk of that dollar figure may well have come in kind, e.g. in free snowboards or clothing that don't have a lot of monetary value for re-sale.

Of all our athletes who go to the Olympics (both summer and winter), very few strike it rich. The time they spend training often prevents them from having full-time jobs, while sponsorship dollars and prize money don't amount to much. Many of these athletes also need to finance at least part of their own equipment, travel, etc out of their own pockets - not everything is covered by federations or the COC.

Other than the NHL players and athletes from a few sports where there's money in some kind of pro circuit outside of the Olympics (e.g. tennis), most of these guys (Canadian or otherwise) are not rich or ever going to get rich doing it.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Delta isn't the sponsor. United is.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
DL isn’t the US team carrier, that’s UA.
Really not the point of my post, which was the DL also did not upgrade some people just because they won medals, and that certain posters here will demonize AC, and talk about how wonderful US carriers are, at every possible opportunity.
knotseh likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:28 pm

IMHO its all about expectations. It’s great when airlines upgrade honeymooners or anyone who won an award, be it sporting or otherwise as a special treat. Or someone in J gives up their seat for a soldier. Or if you tell them you will propose to SO on board. All in media this year. But if that = guaranteed upgrade either they need a LOT more J or paying J pax are going to be removed from their seats. Which seems unrealistic to me.

Last edited by lallied; Mar 3, 2018 at 4:29 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Journal de Montréal February 2016, gives some info on ST's financial situation with quotes from the man himself.

More recently.

And yes, it is tough for some to find funding to aim for the Olympics; some of the wealthier guys who earn a living on the pro tour have waived their federal and provincial assistance grants.

Last edited by NordsFan; Mar 4, 2018 at 4:36 am
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:52 pm

If I was AC I would give the olympian Executive Platinum status on Canadian Airlines. I suspect the olympian wouldn't know the difference until he tries using it anywhere and finds out it wasn't worth the plastic it was printed on. A reward for an award in my book
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
There are no two people that exemplify team spirit more than "those two". I can say with a high level of certainty, that they would have politely declined a private jet in favour of travelling with their teammates. Really? That is why they are collectively called TEAM Canada.
I'm grateful for this post which mentions that the Olympics is about a team. A team of athletes, but also of volunteers, and of fans.

I think the reason the tweet irked is that he didn't complain about the quality of economy seating per se - which would have actually won him a few admirers - or even about seat 57A, specifically, but about his having to be the one who sat there.

If you are a team member, you think about the team - in this case, the other people traveling with you - virtually, as well as literally. There were the athletes, and then there were the people who traveled (most on their own dime) to cheer on and support those athletes. There were the people who aid in various ways, sports programs that eventually see Olympic athletes get launched. To quote the hardware store ad, we all play for Canada.

That said, I don't expect athletes to be heroes, or even larger than life. But maybe this will serve to warn him to be cautious about using Twitter. Least said on that obnoxious bird, soonest mended.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by NordsFan
Journal de Montréal February 2016, gives some info on ST's financial situation with quotes from the man himself.
I haven't even bothered to open your links, because: who cares? What possible relevance does a passenger's income & assets have on this story? It just reeks of sour grapes.

Speaking of irrelevance:

Originally Posted by Drunk Cargo
He's a strong, fit guy beyond the average. He can endure economy much better than most. Seems if anything a compup would be highly undeserved.
I guess only weak, unfit, below-average people with minimal endurance deserve compups? When did they become based upon pity?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Despite the allusion above to him earning hundreds of thousands or millions of sponsorship and prize money, he's likely not a rich guy unless he comes from money. Even if hundreds of thousands or a million is true, of which I'm a bit skeptical, remember that he has been a pro snowboarder for about 13 years (according to other posts in this thread).

Of all our athletes who go to the Olympics (both summer and winter), very few strike it rich. The time they spend training often prevents them from having full-time jobs, while sponsorship dollars and prize money don't amount to much. Many of these athletes also need to finance at least part of their own equipment, travel, etc out of their own pockets - not everything is covered by federations or the COC.

Other than the NHL players and athletes from a few sports where there's money in some kind of pro circuit outside of the Olympics (e.g. tennis), most of these guys (Canadian or otherwise) are not rich or ever going to get rich doing it.
Generally, yes, but this guy is a Red Bull athlete winning on the biggest X Games stages on the planet. He's doing very well for himself (and probably hasn't ever paid for a snowboard in his life).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I guess only weak, unfit, below-average people with minimal endurance deserve compups? When did they become based upon pity?
I don't know if AC sees it that way. I have never received one.
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I haven't even bothered to open your links, because: who cares? What possible relevance does a passenger's income & assets have on this story? It just reeks of sour grapes.
It says he's a millionaire. And I think it's quite relevant.

AC offered free or discounted seating for athletes, ensuring they could get to and from the olympics.

If a millionaire wants to sit in PY or J, there's a very easy way to make that happen.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It says he's a millionaire. And I think it's quite relevant.

AC offered free or discounted seating for athletes, ensuring they could get to and from the olympics.

If a millionaire wants to sit in PY or J, there's a very easy way to make that happen.
A point that was made several pages ago. Look, he made a foolish tweet and was rightly criticized for it. But many people went too far, demeaning his character based upon his supposed income and the fact he lives in a nice residence, etc. Note that nobody is armed with any facts about how much he earns, how many deductions & expenses he pays, nor who actually owns the roof over his head. Some took the wishful stance that his future sponsorship earnings will be in jeopardy. I'll bet none have met the guy, and most had probably never heard of him prior to this story.
I suspect if he has as much disposable income as people seem to believe, he might willingly pay for an upgrade out of pocket. But AC flights out of Seoul immediately following the Olympics were rather full in all cabins and perhaps that wasn't an option. Frustration often sparks knee-jerk reactions that get the better of us all. They're called learnable experiences.

Cut the dude some slack, all of you.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I don't know if AC sees it that way. I have never received one.
It does seem a lot of the FFs have quite the girth these days. J class a bit more comfy for them and those around them.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:03 pm

Put 'em on Rouge

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I don't get it. He's a strong, fit guy beyond the average. He can endure economy much better than most. Seems if anything a compup would be highly undeserved.
I'd go one step further, if they got the endurance to compete at the Olympics they got the endurance to be on a middle seat rouge long haul flight to/from ICN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.