Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Looking for some knowledgeable advice on cabin temperatures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for some knowledgeable advice on cabin temperatures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Most of the ex/original CP-turned-rouge fins do have gasper vents.
Good to know, The ones I've been on so far did not have any (If I recall correctly when I looked them up after the flight they were from China)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by Plumber
I am super warm all the time. I dont like flying Asian carriers TPAC because I find the cabin temp too warm.

I am usually very comfortable on AC, and would be very surprised if the cabin temp is ever 24C. I agree with 24Left in that it is usually probably closer to 21C.

You can always put on more clothes or get a blanket if you are cold.....Very difficult if it is too warm, especially if the air is stuffy -- ugh!

I don't EVER remember thinking 'Its too cold'- but have thought 'its too warm' many times.

It sounds like there was an issue during the OPs flight, but nobody wanted to admit it.
i agree with the “stuffy”I am more concerned with airflow than the temperature, in the 787 you have to be standing to open he vents so when I am boarding I open all In my row , keeps the air moving!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:13 pm

At least you're not flying Aeroflot!

Aeroflot (SU) between JFK and MOW is horrendous for me. I find myself wearing convertible pants now. The ones where you zip off the lower legging portion to convert it to a pair of shorts. The shoes come off and I wear a sports (athletic) shirt as an undershirt. Basically I'm dressing as if I'm going to the gym to workout! And I always pick a window seat as well, hoping for a bit of heat loss and keep the shade up.

Now this is only at cruise altitude. When we get ready to descend, everything comes back on and for some reason - it's cool enough. If we're departing on the tarmac (versus jetway) I'm still prepared with a stuff able down jacket. I don't know, maybe the passengers are used to it (the heat) but egads, it's horrendous!

For colder flights (usually shorter hauls between JFK and SFO) I'm prepared with a packable down blanket. Serves as a pillow (again, window seat but potentially exit row) or a means of staying warm.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
my experience on AC's 787 to TLV a few wks ago was that it got really warm, esp on seat 5A. my guess is because it is the last one and air does not circulate properly near it ? my blanket remained un-opened on that flight.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewBC
lol there's no way they're going to keep it as low as 20c - every woman on the plane would be complaining about being cold
Ah, stereotypes.

My wife always complains hotel rooms are too hot. If she could, she would lower the thermostat to 16C or so. I don't like it too hot either, but I am not as radical as she is. 19-20 is perfectly fine. 23-24 is too hot.

I usually cannot handle the duvet. On a recent FRA-YYC, I slept without it; was just a bit cold initially, but I suspect they eventually raised the temperature just a bit and it was fine.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I thought pre-787 aircraft used bleed air (effectively waste heat) from the engines and cooled it, rather than heating the extremely cold outside air?
True that pre-787s used bleed air. However describing this as waste heat is a misconception. That air is warmer than outside air because it was compressed, which takes power. Also, whether bleed air needs being cooled or further heated up is not necessarily obvious. Which also affect the energy balance.

Anyway, the 787 and I imagine same generation ABs no longer use bleed air for good economic reasons. Having to do with ensuring a more predictable engine operation among other things.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
You are right the air conditioning on a 787 is electrically powered as opposed to the conventional bleed air system - The cabin environment on the 787 is considered to be amongst the best around due to the lower cabin altitude and higher air humidity. It is also fresh air as opposed to air which is primarily recycled, although a small amount is let through the extract valves on other aircraft. I'd imagine this situation was just caused the the FAs setting the temperature too high, clue being when they said they "turned it down" to 23 degrees. I'm not sure if it works the same in the 787 but on the A320 we can set the inlet temperature for the FWD and AFT cabin from the flight deck, then the FAs can control zone temperature from the FAP within a set deviation from the temperature set by the flight deck (+/- 3C).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Ah, stereotypes.

My wife always complains hotel rooms are too hot. If she could, she would lower the thermostat to 16C or so. I don't like it too hot either, but I am not as radical as she is. 19-20 is perfectly fine. 23-24 is too hot.
Same. Hotel a/c never goes low enough. Windows that don't open are the one thing I cannot stand in hotels.

At home our thermostat is set to around 16C with an absolute maximum of 18C in the evenings, then the heating is turned off a little while before bedtime and the bedroom windows are open every night without fail even when it is below freezing outside. Usually when we wake up in the mornings the bedroom temperature is showing as 12-14C which is totally fine. Luckily my husband and I agree on this. It isn't that we are putting up with the cold - I don't like being cold as such, but we are used to those temperatures so it doesn't feel "cold" to us. Trying to sleep in a warm room is horrible.

For this reason I don't usually assume I will sleep on long haul flights, and treat it as a nice bonus if I do.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
At home our thermostat is set to around 16C with an absolute maximum of 18C in the evenings,
Ours is at 20 in the day and evening and then we drop it to 15C for sleeptime.

I caanot sleep comfortably at 24C--- even 22Cis pushing it for me.

Many hotels in parts of Asia dont have a/c on during the winter- I often have to have a fan brought to my room to move the warmer stuffy air around.

That all translates into I much prefer a cooler cabin for sleeping.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
Ours is at 20 in the day and evening and then we drop it to 15C for sleeptime.

I caanot sleep comfortably at 24C--- even 22Cis pushing it for me.
This makes me happy I rarely do long hauls!

Our winter heating is 19-21C max, 15-17C max overnight. In a summer heatwave, 22/23C overnight would be max I could comfortably sleep. This begs the question, why wouldn't AC save the few pennies?

Does anyone know airlines that generally keep temps lower for long haul? I would definitely keep those in mind!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Some guidance based on what most people like. There is no happy medium but there will be a range that accommodates the majority. Sorry 15 seems too low and 25 too high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_comfort

"Most people will feel comfortable at room temperature, colloquially a range of temperatures around 20 to 22 °C (68 to 72 °F),[2] but this may vary greatly between individuals and depending on factors such as activity level, clothing, and humidity."
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:08 pm

Temperature matters as well as ventilation. Anything blowing at you that's cooler than your skin temperature will have a cooling effect. "Warm" blowing air can cool more than cool stagnant air.

Anyone try any USB cooling fans that are on a gooseneck wire? AC's USB ports seem like in a good position to plug one in.

Like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Portable-Fle...H/183059163156 or this:
Amazon Amazon

If you use one and aren't in a window seat, I suspect a picture of you will end up in threads here about annoying people.

Last edited by tecate55; Feb 27, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.