Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Looking for some knowledgeable advice on cabin temperatures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze

Hi all- looking for some knowledgeable advice on the temperature in cabins. I travelled on a YYZ-LHR overnight recently. There had been something up with the electrics as the entertainment did not work until about an hour in, which may have had a knock on effect on the cabin temperature. The cabin was incredibly hot and stifling, the worst I've ever experienced. The vents above us were not issuing any air that could be felt. My husband suffers from a rare condition known as cluster headaches that can be brought on by excessive heat. Therefore he asked an attendant to look at the vents and if anything could be done about the heat. First time the attendant put her hand under the vents and told us no, the vents are just poor and don't work very well (plane was a Dreamliner). Some time passed and we were both really struggling and couldn't take any more clothes off so we tried again. This time they said again that the vents were working as normal and they would "try" and do something about the temperature. Around an hour after there was no change and a lot of pax round about us were waking up and stripping off layers of clothing. We flagged someone down again and they said they would go and lower it. On the fourth ask the attendant advised that the temp had been turned down to 23 degrees, and the implication was that this was incredibly rare and unusual. We were advised policy dictates all their aircraft are maintained at 24. We then got the "noone else is complaining" tossed at us and the attendant walked off. We were both visibly red and dripping with sweat, however to be fair we did see people asleep with blankets over their down coats (no idea how they were managing as I was ill in a vest and light trousers) so I understand we weren't the only ones to please. However, surely it is easier to warm up with the provided blanket then cool down? Is it honestly right that an Air Canada cabin must be at 24 degrees? That seems way above room temperature to me and I'm a cold potato. Unfortunately my husband then did get a bad headache so had to go to the galley for an ice pack- they looked after him well enough.

Turns out an hour before we landed all the air vents magically turned back on and we were blasted with air so the initial official AC comment of "nah that's normal, the vents are just poor" was just a lie/attempt to get us to shut up. A disappointing flight experience all-round.

Last edited by Fluzz; Feb 26, 2018 at 7:04 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Fluzz
Hi all- looking for some knowledgeable advice on the temperature in cabins. I travelled on a YYZ-LHR overnight recently. There had been something up with the electrics as the entertainment did not work until about an hour in, which may have had a knock on effect on the cabin temperature. The cabin was incredibly hot and stifling, the worst I've ever experienced. The vents above us were not issuing any air that could be felt. My husband suffers from a rare condition known as cluster headaches that can be brought on by excessive heat. Therefore he asked an attendant to look at the vents and if anything could be done about the heat. First time the attendant put her hand under the vents and told us no, the vents are just poor and don't work very well (plane was a Dreamliner). Some time passed and we were both really struggling and couldn't take any more clothes off so we tried again. This time they said again that the vents were working as normal and they would "try" and do something about the temperature. Around an hour after there was no change and a lot of pax round about us was waking up and stripping off layers of clothing. We flagged someone down again and they said they would go and lower it. On the fourth ask the attendant advised that the temp had been turned down to 23 degrees, and the implication was that this was incredibly rare and unusual. We were advised policy dictates all their aircraft are maintained at 24. We then got the "noone else is complaining" tossed at us and the attendant walked off. We were both visibly red and dripping with sweat, however to be fair we did see people asleep with blankets over their down coats (no idea how they were managing as I was ill in a vest and light trousers) so I understand we weren't the only ones to please. However, surely it is easier to warm up with the provided blanket then cool down? Is it honestly right that an Air Canada cabin must be at 24 degrees? That seems way above room temperature to me and I'm a cold potato. Unfortunately my husband then did get a bad headache so had to go to the galley for an ice pack- they looked after him well enough.

Turns out an hour before we landed all the air vents magically turned back on and we were blasted with air so the initial official AC comment of "nah that's normal, the vents are just poor" was just a lie/attempt to get us to shut up. A disappointing flight experience all-round.

Here is the flip side: I fly across the Pacific frequently (or far too much as the case may be) on AC's B789s (Dreamliners) and on the various versions of the 777. I and a few others often find the temps too cold, but it seems to vary by route. I inquire and find the cabin temp at 21C. I ask for a bit more warmth and hiding under blankets as freezing while sleeping or eating is not pleasant. 23C seems to be the point where everyone is comfortable and no one is stripping or wearing parkas.

The challenge with cabin temp (which is zoned) is that for every person who is too hot, there is another who is too cold. And women tend to feel the cold more than men, it seems.

On a recent B789 flight to YVR, the aircraft had slept overnight at YYZ and it took quite some time to warm it up. While boarding and prior to departure, the J cabin was freezing. Enroute, despite the SD raising the temp to 24C on the panel, the cabin was still freezing. I boarded my next B789 to TPE and the cabin temp was perfectly fine. No parka required. I recently flew one of the 777s to HKG and the J cabin was freezing that I wore my jacket under the blanket while sleeping.

Hot and cold, one of the mysteries of the universe.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am super warm all the time. I dont like flying Asian carriers TPAC because I find the cabin temp too warm.

I am usually very comfortable on AC, and would be very surprised if the cabin temp is ever 24C. I agree with 24Left in that it is usually probably closer to 21C.

You can always put on more clothes or get a blanket if you are cold.....Very difficult if it is too warm, especially if the air is stuffy -- ugh!

I don't EVER remember thinking 'Its too cold'- but have thought 'its too warm' many times.

It sounds like there was an issue during the OPs flight, but nobody wanted to admit it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 24left
I inquire and find the cabin temp at 21C. I ask for a bit more warmth and hiding under blankets as freezing while sleeping or eating is not pleasant. 23C seems to be the point where everyone is comfortable and no one is stripping or wearing parkas.

The challenge with cabin temp (which is zoned) is that for every person who is too hot, there is another who is too cold. And women tend to feel the cold more than men, it seems.

Hot and cold, one of the mysteries of the universe.
You are right and it must be so hard (or impossible) for attendants to please everyone. However we were expressly told that all Air Canada aircraft are maintained at 24C on the thermostat. From what you said that's just plain untrue. And my experience with this flight is the opposite from usual, as I am one of the afore-mentioned women that are ALWAYS cold. However in this instance I could hardly stand the heat. We just got the impression anything was being said to get us to shut up, hence the blowers that we had been told were fully operational just the way they were handily kicking in just as they wanted people to wake up and get ready for landing. Left a bad taste in the mouth.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Fluzz
You are right and it must be so hard (or impossible) for attendants to please everyone. However we were expressly told that all Air Canada aircraft are maintained at 24C on the thermostat. From what you said that's just plain untrue. And my experience with this flight is the opposite from usual, as I am one of the afore-mentioned women that are ALWAYS cold. However in this instance I could hardly stand the heat. We just got the impression anything was being said to get us to shut up, hence the blowers that we had been told were fully operational just the way they were handily kicking in just as they wanted people to wake up and get ready for landing. Left a bad taste in the mouth.
I have never been on an Air Canada flight with the temperature at 24'C. 21-22 is the average, 23 is on the high side.
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I find AC far too warm in J pods and this affects my ability to sleep underneath the provided duvet. Outside of J I have more significant complaints than the temperature.

Never asked for it to be changed in any cabin.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
300 Customers - 300 body thermostats. Up/down/up/down. I keep the temperature at 22c (would be 20c if I had my way), and adjust it with each incoming request.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Feb 26, 2018 at 10:10 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
300 Customers - 300 body thermostats. Up/down/up down. I keep the temperature at 22c (would be 20c if I had my way), and adjust it with each incoming request.
Please set it to 20C!!! I'd rather be cold than warm. Can always add a jacket or blanket, but I can only take off so many layers!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Please set it to 20C!!! I'd rather be cold than warm. Can always add a jacket or blanket, but I can only take off so many layers!
lol there's no way they're going to keep it as low as 20c - every woman on the plane would be complaining about being cold
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by andrewBC
lol there's no way they're going to keep it as low as 20c - every woman on the plane would be complaining about being cold
Yes but it would save a few cents.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by andrewBC
EXAAAAAACTLY.

And I would be at the front of that line.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jc94

And everyone would tune them out anyways.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94

I thought pre-787 aircraft used bleed air (effectively waste heat) from the engines and cooled it, rather than heating the extremely cold outside air?

Anyway, a common problem for crew in maintaining comfortable cabin temperatures is that as OP noted, some people can comfortably wear a down jacket at 22 C while others will be sweating in a T-shirt. To observe this effect you need only travel to Southeast Asia during a "cold snap" of 20 C weather and see what kind of attire people are wearing.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Sounds like the SD in this aircraft was setting it to their preference instead of the passenger's. 24c is definitely too warm.

OP, don't fly on Rouge 767s they don't even have gaspers (air vent things) over the seats for the air to blow on you.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by pprrff
Sounds like the SD in this aircraft was setting it to their preference instead of the passenger's. 24c is definitely too warm.

OP, don't fly on Rouge 767s they don't even have gaspers (air vent things) over the seats for the air to blow on you.
Most of the ex/original CP-turned-rouge fins do have gasper vents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.