Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Rouge being replaced by Mainline for Hawaii/Mexico and Osaka routes from YVR/YYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rouge being replaced by Mainline for Hawaii/Mexico and Osaka routes from YVR/YYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by jcamp028
UA offers lie-flats for cheap to Hawaii, so it's about time they got rid of Rouge.

But the 7M8 doesn’t offer lie-flat seats either...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
UA offers lie-flats for cheap to Hawaii, so it's about time they got rid of Rouge.
I completely get why you as the consumer might want it, but why on earth would AC want to sell its "lie flats for cheap" if it can sell them not for cheap on other routes?

If you had said UA gets really good money for their lie-flats to Hawaii, AC might be interested.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonours Gold, AC 35K, Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by yscleo
Would be nice if they get rid of all rough rogues. When you want to redeem for flights, they rip you off by charging the same for rogue planes as mainline. I'd rather take connections than getting on those rough rogues.
I agree - we flew rouge on points in business last January to HLN and it was a total waste of the miles - and they changed the schedule a few months out so we lost a day of our vacation. I would rather pay the cash and fly westjet plus than rouge.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If they fire all the mainline FAs and rehire them at lower wages on a different contract, then it's fair to say "mainline is becoming rouge".
Regardless of branding, 30 year old's with 5 years experience tend to make less than 50 year old'd with 25 years experience. Rouge crews might be on a slightly worse contract over all, but all crews hired post bankruptcy are cheaper then those who have been around since TCA.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
What terrible news. I'm liking the 737Max even less, and I'm sure this is just the beginning.
I completely understand why AC is retiring their 767s, but they are a comfortable alternative to a narrow body plane on a six hour flight to Hawaii. I even prefer them on a short jaunt to PHX, yes, even in Y. With many of the YYZ-YVR trunk route flights becoming a choice between Rouge and the SlaveShip, it looks to be a grim experience for most. I expect WS would be smart to deploy their new Dreamliners on this route as well.

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Yes, my mistake. I came to the forum where Jack complains about the same thing in basically every single thread. Have you wondered why your YVR Do idea has not taken off?
That seems a rather superangry reply.
canadiancow, Bohemian1 and flybit like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
AC had pods to KOA and once a week on the HNL flight. Gone when rouged.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
I completely get why you as the consumer might want it, but why on earth would AC want to sell its "lie flats for cheap" if it can sell them not for cheap on other routes?

If you had said UA gets really good money for their lie-flats to Hawaii, AC might be interested.
They sell them cheap from Canada to Hawaii with a connection. They don't sell them cheap originating in the USA.

No different than AC selling their lie flats to Europe/Asia from the USA at a fraction of the cost of ex-Canada prices.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
And that has transitioned largely to a 737-800 fleet. Just like Alaska who plies the Pacific with hundreds of flights weekly. There may well be the odd lie-flat UA aircraft to Hawaii, but probably tied into aircraft rotation versus a nicety. Airlines are not going to deploy their best real estate on a route that has always been marginally yielding at best.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by tracon
This explains the rumour I heard of the YVR Rouge pilot base closing.

Maybe YVR will be the test ground for the eventual elimination of Rouge.
really mainline has become Rouge, the 767 on Rouge is better in Y than a 787 or 777HD. Rouge proved to AC that customers don't care about seat pitch, so eliminate Rouge and just put Rouge y seating mainline. ( i guess the only extra expense is FA get paid more on mainline, vs Rouge????)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
And that has transitioned largely to a 737-800 fleet. Just like Alaska who plies the Pacific with hundreds of flights weekly. There may well be the odd lie-flat UA aircraft to Hawaii, but probably tied into aircraft rotation versus a nicety. Airlines are not going to deploy their best real estate on a route that has always been marginally yielding at best.
Actually UA has 767-400/300 from IAD/EWR layflat, 777 from ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/LAX all with lay flats. However the 777 are 'domestic" 777's with only 28 layflat seats.
United has over 20 domestic 777's.

So united has actually added MANY layflats to HNL so the exact opposite of what you are saying, AC went the other way and put on Rouge 767, and now even a bigger downgage to 737's

At UA the 757-200 the flew from the west coast are been replaced by 737, or 777.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by flybit
Actually UA has 767-400/300 from IAD/EWR layflat, 777 from ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/LAX all with lay flats. However the 777 are 'domestic" 777's with only 28 layflat seats.
United has over 20 domestic 777's.

So united has actually added MANY layflats to HNL so the exact opposite of what you are saying, AC went the other way and put on Rouge 767, and now even a bigger downgage to 737's

At UA the 757-200 the flew from the west coast are been replaced by 737, or 777.
Then I stand corrected. I was looking to redeem some mileage from LAX/SFO to OGG which I would consider to be a more upscale market than HNL, and the only offerings were on 737-800's and perhaps one 757 on multiple departures. Definitely no widebody service for the dates checked.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bartolo
AC had pods to KOA and once a week on the HNL flight. Gone when rouged.
YYC-OGG also had pods when it was mainline.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
A quick survey of UA's daily mainland arrivals to OGG+HNL during the past 24 hours:

Code:
8 777s
1 767
4 757s
6 737s
So about 63% of seats are on widebody equipment and only about 20% on 737s. With daily turnarounds having total daily block times of 17-18 hours as well as a couple of hours on the ground at HNL/OGG those 777s aren't exactly being fit in as part of a rotation. They're pretty much dedicated to Hawaii service.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by flybit
In that industry-leading 2-4-2 J configuration with a bunch of rear-facing seats (but still better than premium rouge).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
When will the winter schedule be released showing this new flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.