Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Rouge being replaced by Mainline for Hawaii/Mexico and Osaka routes from YVR/YYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rouge being replaced by Mainline for Hawaii/Mexico and Osaka routes from YVR/YYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Talking now a 777-200

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Ah yes, like when AC "relocates" a 763 and/or 789 from YYZ to SFO every day. And then immediately back.
well just when we both think we know it all, my flight Monday March 12 AC 972 is a 777-200

Mon., Mar. 12, 2018 Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ - Pearson)

• Flight distance:
    2,170 m/3,492 km
  •  
    • Flight:AC792Operated By Air Canada
    • Aircraft: Boeing 777-200LR
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by flybit
you do realize you are comparing a domestic plane with a international plane?
Yes and you seemed to have forgotten that when you dragged UA's international fleet configuration into this domestic discussion. AC uses the same configuration between domestic and international.

Show me what domestic planes compare to the UA domestic planes, or even AA or Jet Blue?
You are saying that the vast majority of the American airlines' narrow body fleets differ considerably from AC's (yes a small number of narrowbodies have lay flats in the US but that is a tiny fraction of their total narrow body fleets equipped for "PS" type service).

Suffice to say US airlines do have fleets of domestic planes with layflat seats, and AC does not feel the need to provide this.
AC provides ONE flight a day to SFO/LAX/EWR with a layflat seat, and clearly relocates MOST widebody planes to YVR with layflats. ( i await the cow to jump in to say some layflats are planned )
Why do you believe that AC's widebody transcons are purely for relocation purposes? I've flown them numerous times and the aircraft have had high load factors - which tells me that the widebodies are there to meet demand not just to shift metal around. In the last year or so, AC has also begun charging more for J on domestic layflat flights and treating it as a more premium product. (I do concur that the main reason for widebodies is demand for Y cabin not to offer layflats in J, although that does make their international connections via YVR more appealing),

Last edited by The Lev; Mar 9, 2018 at 3:20 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the AC 767 to/from SFO recently. 1A and 2A, nothing worked, the plug , the IFE, and I was happy to have the last pax's KitKat wrapper waiting for me.
What other airline can you fly a 767 built in the 80s!
(C-FPCA both ways), she seems to be dedicated to this route in her old age.

It does however beat connecting thru EWR.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I missed the announcement that Toronto - San Francisco had become a domestic route.
I think most regulars (who by definition have Nexus) flying transborder would argue that those flights are domestic in almost every respect. There’s no queueing for immigration in Canada/US just answer 2 questions on screen and present the slip of page to border agent. Security is pretty much the same thing. Boarding is the same (I.e no passport checks). Service is the same (no food in Y no free checked bag unless elite).

Heck sometimes I’ll drive cross the border to fly out of DTW/BUF to fly domestic in Canada (I.e recently flew DTW - YVR to cut airfare in half and fly on UA metal).

Its true that AC does have some old metal (in particular the 767 and 330s). However, I’d argue they aren’t half as old as the birds you find stateside. Whereas the US legacies are still flying MD80s and 757s somewhat regularly the same can’t be said about AC.

those are my 2 cents.

Safe Travels,

James

Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Any news on if YYZ-HNL is going mainline? 10+ hrs on Rouge is definitely stretching it and is one of the reasons I fly UA instead of AC over there.
02JAN YYZ-HNL AC589 1650 2215 B763
09JAN HNL-YYZ AC590 2345 1340+1 B763

$2312+tx return in P
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I think most regulars (who by definition have Nexus) flying transborder would argue that those flights are domestic in almost every respect. There’s no queueing for immigration in Canada/US just answer 2 questions on screen and present the slip of page to border agent. Security is pretty much the same thing. Boarding is the same (I.e no passport checks). Service is the same (no food in Y no free checked bag unless elite).
I'm not following your logic, nor how it relates to my post about YYZ-SFO. While I agree the US Preclearance is a quick & smooth process, it's most definitely not the same as flying domestically, in that there is an immigration step.
Its true that AC does have some old metal (in particular the 767 and 330s). However, I’d argue they aren’t half as old as the birds you find stateside. Whereas the US legacies are still flying MD80s and 757s somewhat regularly the same can’t be said about AC.
Myths don't often fare well in the face of facts. Here's the average fleet age of the largest North American airlines today:

Frontier: 5.7 yrs
Compass: 7.2 yrs
Alaska: 7.7 yrs
JetBlue: 9.5 yrs
WestJet: 9.5 yrs
American: 10.3 yrs
Southwest: 10.6 yrs
Skywest: 11.3 yrs
Air Canada: 13.9 yrs
United: 14.5 yrs
Delta: 16.8 yrs
​​​​​​​AC Rouge: 18.2 yrs
rankourabu likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
I’m disappointed by the even later arrival into OGG from YVR. 45 min earlier would have been nice. 2250 is way too late.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by YWG-RO
I’m disappointed by the even later arrival into OGG from YVR. 45 min earlier would have been nice. 2250 is way too late.
I agree but there's also a morning flight.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
I’m not in YVR.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Cool Availability still screwy on HNL & OGG flts

Originally Posted by muskoka
And Poof! They are gone. All 738 max only now. I still dont think they are finished. The newly loaded 737
flights show no Tango avail. and only latitude. for $1400 each way. Still under construction Im thinking.
So its been 3 days now since they loaded the new 738 flights to HNL & OGG. For the majority of dates Nov- Feb 2019, availability continues to show only Latitude & full fare J. A couple of dates show Tango availability but "only 1 seat left" note even though the seatmap shows not a single seat selected. Doesnt seem to be any urgency in getting these flights set up for sale .
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I’m not in YVR.
I agree, it's a hassle. You either have to arrive in what basically feels like the dead of night (11 pm in OGG is 3 am in YWG... not ideal considering it will take at least an hour to pick up the car, drive to your destination and get you and your bags inside), or you have to spend the night in YVR and take the early flight out. For my booking I opted for the latter.

I will say, getting AE to open up seats on the AM flight took some effort.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I’m not in YVR.
I should've realized that from your id. Would connecting to the YYC-OGG flight not work for you? It arrives at OGG early in the evening.

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I agree, it's a hassle. You either have to arrive in what basically feels like the dead of night (11 pm in OGG is 3 am in YWG... not ideal considering it will take at least an hour to pick up the car, drive to your destination and get you and your bags inside), or you have to spend the night in YVR and take the early flight out. For my booking I opted for the latter.

Originating from YYZ, my choice would/will be latter as well. In fact I would choose that even if the later YVR-OGG flight departed at a more "reasonable" time. A night at the Fairmont followed by a morning flight to OGG means arriving feeling well rested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.