Flight Pass and Travel Options

Old Feb 23, 18, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K MM, Carlson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Question Flight Pass and Travel Options

I travel mostly on flight passes. Being SE and travelling a lot internationally, travel options don't matter too much. But every once in a while I use a flex FP for domestic travel. Since it is a flex FP using one of food travel options (one of the selected benefits) for these types of trips would work great. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why it's not possible. You can add travel options to FP bookings (e.g. lounge, food, on my way), but all of those require a payment (all types of credit/debit cards and even AC gift cards accepted). What's not accepted is the unique travel option code, which is assigned to you as a benefit. Am I missing something?
Old Feb 24, 18, 2:13 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nm761 View Post
I travel mostly on flight passes. Being SE and travelling a lot internationally, travel options don't matter too much. But every once in a while I use a flex FP for domestic travel. Since it is a flex FP using one of food travel options (one of the selected benefits) for these types of trips would work great. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why it's not possible. You can add travel options to FP bookings (e.g. lounge, food, on my way), but all of those require a payment (all types of credit/debit cards and even AC gift cards accepted). What's not accepted is the unique travel option code, which is assigned to you as a benefit. Am I missing something?
Nope - they can only be used on a new booking as a promo code (and forget combining with an actual discount code you may have). One of the most poorly implemented "benefits" by AC, IMO.
Old Feb 24, 18, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Travel Options codes have never been available for Flight Passes. I'm pretty sure the fine print on the travel options says that they can't be used with FP.
Old Feb 25, 18, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Here is the only relevant bit in the T&Cs: "Complete your eligible booking at aircanada.com with one of the promotion codes and you will receive complimentary Air Canada Cafe items during your journey. This travel option is applicable only for new reservations completed at aircanada.com and when travel begins at least 72 hours after time of booking."

One could argue that the FP booking is indeed made at aircanada.com, but one could also counter-argue that "with one of the promotion codes" means that the booking must be made together with the code.

I agree with the point that this is poorly implemented and I doubt that this was intentional to reduce the functionality of FPs. But then, if it is an IT limitation, perhaps this could have been addressed by offering the phone-in option to add the code (since it simply involves adding LT07 to the PNR and cancelling out the code used). And considering that there is an ability to add travel options after the booking is made, enabling a promo code add-on seems like a no-brainer to me. Perhaps I am expecting too much though.
Old Feb 26, 18, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Here is the only relevant bit in the T&Cs: "Complete your eligible booking at aircanada.com with one of the promotion codes and you will receive complimentary Air Canada Cafe items during your journey. This travel option is applicable only for new reservations completed at aircanada.com and when travel begins at least 72 hours after time of booking."

One could argue that the FP booking is indeed made at aircanada.com, but one could also counter-argue that "with one of the promotion codes" means that the booking must be made together with the code.
Okay, but the next paragraph also states:

Air Canada Cafe only applies on flights within North America operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge over 2 hours. Air Canada Cafe promotion codes cannot be applied on Flight Pass reservations or on Aeroplan Flight Rewards, or retroactively applied to previously booked reservations
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gabdusch View Post
Okay, but the next paragraph also states:
Fair. Question: IT limitation or done on purpose?
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Fair. Question: IT limitation or done on purpose?
I suspect it's more of an implementation detail than a "limitation".

They built them as promo codes. Therefore they can only be used where promo codes are used.

If they had built them more like eUpgrades, they could be applied to any reservation, at any time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: