Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2018 v7

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
@philelite Nobody will get anywhere near those figures without wings being posted. I have multiple flights from 8 and 10 days ago which have not shown up on my profile. Didn't AC make a commitment to faster posting?
--
13F
Same here with multiple flights unrecorded. I hate being in 753rd place.

Also wanted to add to my response to philelite - another driver for an overall top 10/top 30 increase could be the several thousand additional players this time versus the last few EYWs.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
I must admit I'm watching this thread with popcorns in hand .

After AC EYW team pissed me off last year, my AQD was stuck at a tiny fraction of what it was a year ago and I intend on keeping it that way. I see that they've upped their game by changing T&Cs mid way through the game, so glad I'm not actively participating. In fact since I have not been buying revenue tickets on AC for some months, I didn't even know about Comfort fare and the rebranding of International Business to Signature until just a few days ago.

Good luck to all you EYW7 players, I will enjoy watching the drama unfold while keeping more money in my pocket.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Serious question:

Does it really matter how long it takes wings to post, as long as they post eventually?

Or would the performance of others impact your own future bookings?

For example, I've booked everything I'm going to, and nothing anyone else does is going to have any impact on that.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Serious question:
Does it really matter how long it takes wings to post, as long as they post eventually?
I will give the two questions a shot. For me, it is yes and yes. Here is my thinking:

First, I am not a top 10 candidate. In the Top 30 space where I live, I am not going on big multi-day EYW runs, but rather just doing indirect routes on my regular biz travel with various flight passes. (of course, with a few add-ons here and there, like a couple of YYJ trips I have planned to visit friends). So, for example, like philelite going from YVR -YXU via YYJ and YEG, I am going from YXU -YYC on Tuesday via YHZ and YEG.
All that is pretty standard, but what is important is these trips can be scaled down (or up) as required, especially later in the contest, depending upon where the Top30 line is going.

Second, I honestly think the known start date this time will raise wing totals, especially early in the contest period. I would like to get a sense of that effect and quicker posting helps me to assess whether I need to be in the 60Ks, the 70Ks or even the 80Ks.

Third, my experience in the last EYW - with the car rental and hotel badges - has sensitized me to posting delays and the effort required to follow up missing badges. I could easily have ended up outside the Top30 (I do recall somebody ended up outside the Top50 with missing badges). As for me, I only got the missing badges in the last 2 days.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:02 pm

Serious question:
Oh,, yeah, forgot to include one thing which is:
I am very competitive and I hate to be in 753rd place.

Quick posting helps with that too.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: AC SE
Serious question:

For example, I've booked everything I'm going to, and nothing anyone else does is going to have any impact on that.
I am surprised you booked everything already. Don’t you usually wait for the mystery badges to post?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Does it matter as much as autopilot or the control software in a CANDU? No. It's just a game, I'm not spending extra money, and while I may chose different routing, I'm only flying where I'm a ready going.

But it doesn't make me happy. It is a reminder of the half ... nature that is Air Canada. The other available options of route map / FF program are horrible, so I'm selfishly hoping AC can improve itself.

21st century is about big data and gamification. Some ACer heard that keynote. They could extract $.99 out of me to beat a level, but they take 2 weeks or longer to post data that should be real time. SMH.

The extra aeropessos will be nice, but the rest of it makes me a bit sad.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: status-free
"Feel the fourth!" badge

Just now: "Beat the clock to earn this badge! Every time you book a flight between April 23rd- April 27th and travel before May 4th, you'll earn an 50% more Wings!*" I'm not sure there are that many last-minute flyers involved in this, but...

Last edited by biglinguist; Apr 23, 2018 at 8:12 am Reason: add title
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by biglinguist
Just now: "Beat the clock to earn this badge! Every time you book a flight between April 23rd- April 27th and travel before May 4th, you'll earn an 50% more Wings!*" I'm not sure there are that many last-minute flyers involved in this, but...
For people doing this on a budget and those who fly weekends this won't be an incentive.
Booking within 14 days will be in higher fare classes for typically EYW routes. As cow and I have found pairing flights can often lead to even HIGHER fare classes.
For people who would want to fly this coming weekend to get this bonus you wouldn't get 7 day adv purchase discounts and would be paying a lot more than booking further out.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
@philelite Nobody will get anywhere near those figures without wings being posted. I have multiple flights from 8 and 10 days ago which have not shown up on my profile. Didn't AC make a commitment to faster posting?
--
13F
I agree. I'm not happy that they've stopped the updates. I'm guessing it's because they are working on fixing the code to handle to changes to some badges. The last refresh appears to be April 18.

Serious question:
Yes, I think it's important for 2 reasons.
I like to verify that my activity posts as expected - ie, bookings that I've changed, lounge visits, upgrades, etc. Or are these things I'm going to have to fight later?
I like to monitor other people's score and I will make additional bookings before May 11th if I see the need.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou

I am surprised you booked everything already. Don’t you usually wait for the mystery badges to post?

Not when you know what they are already, and know how crappy they are

As philelite said, the advance purchase requirement for today's is useless. Twice the price for 50% more wings on the base badges? No thanks.

The Weekly Warrior Badge isn't looking to be that good either.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K (*G), WJ G, DL, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Not when you know what they are already, and know how crappy they are

As philelite said, the advance purchase requirement for today's is useless. Twice the price for 50% more wings on the base badges? No thanks.

The Weekly Warrior Badge isn't looking to be that good either.
ok you’ve piqued my curiosity. What’s the weekly warrior?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by padraigincanada

ok you’ve piqued my curiosity. What’s the weekly warrior?
You'll find out May 7.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Finally an update.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by biglinguist
I'm assuming that a majority of flyers did their bookings under the Comfort fare 2x AQM promo, so this should be interesting.

This is just for take-off and destination badges right? Not any other Challenge / Participation / Wing-Tips / Commuter badges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.