Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2018 v7

Old Apr 18, 18, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by dtman85 View Post
I emailed them two weeks ago and got a response back today.

“Apologies on the wait for this response – I had to ask a higher-up for the answer. Unfortunately Standard fares are not eligible for the game, so the upgrade to Flex won't show up as points for this EYW. Do let us know if you have any other questions.”
Their response doesn't even make sense. The points will post as FLEX so therefore they will count for EYW. They've got it backwards.
I'm 99% sure you will get the credit for EYW.
Old Apr 18, 18, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dtman85 View Post

I emailed them two weeks ago and got a response back today.

“Apologies on the wait for this response – I had to ask a higher-up for the answer. Unfortunately Standard fares are not eligible for the game, so the upgrade to Flex won't show up as points for this EYW. Do let us know if you have any other questions.”

Either your question was poorly worded or they don't understand how things work.

It retickets the whole thing. If you "upgrade" from Standard to Flex, it's not a Standard fare any more. They're correct in that "Standard fares are not eligible", but that's not what matters.
Old Apr 18, 18, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat - Ambassador
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Either your question was poorly worded or they don't understand how things work.

It retickets the whole thing. If you "upgrade" from Standard to Flex, it's not a Standard fare any more. They're correct in that "Standard fares are not eligible", but that's not what matters.
Hopefully you’re right.
Old Apr 19, 18, 5:39 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

I wonder if they thought of it more as a LMU or something similar rather than an actual upfaring.
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:03 am

Programs: AC SE, AC MM, Marriott PPwA
Originally Posted by shawneve View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but be careful making hotel bookings through Air Canada.
I just made a refundable reservation and phoned in to get my SPG number added, It turns out to be a 3rd party booking and is not eligible (officially) for any of my benefits or points.
Needless to say I cancelled it immediately.
Yes, that is true. As a Marriott PP, it means there is a real cost to me in Marriott Points when I book hotels for EYW. I no longer have to think about annual qualification, so my current view is EYW hotels only make sense if you get into the top 30 and/or if the location/price of the EYW hotel is significantly (with a capital S) better than otherwise. After reviewing my hotel activity and the cost from last EYW, my hotel activity will be way less this time.
Old Apr 19, 18, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K (*G), WJ G, DL, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by philelite View Post
Are you sure? I've done this once in past EYW and it worked. My understanding of the T&C is you can't re-book a flight that was originally booked before the booking window, but I don't see where it says you can't upfare something? I'm also unsure how they would track this since it posts to Altitude as Flex?
I too did this once in last year's contest -- booked a R/T in tango and realized what I'd done only a week or two later. Called back and asked that the fare be upgraded to Flex (with increase in fare) and it showed up on Altitude as Flex and showed up on my EYW.
canadiancow and philelite like this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 5:16 am

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
I'm trying to get my head around best practices for going on an EYW run with multiple closely connecting flights. I'm curious to know things like: what if (when?) a simple 20 min delay will potentially have cascading effects to downstream flights? Does AC's (un)helpful automated rebooking tool ever kick in? I really don't want it to proactively move me to a later flight if there's even a chance I can make the original flight; any suggestions for how to best handle/avoid that? I've read previous reports of having concierge help to rush tight connections along, but it's not clear to me if that's generally just the concierge being pro-active, or if folk normally reach out in advance to the concierge and ask for help ...

I don't really have any explicitly detailed questions, just looking for hints & tips - especially to avoid missing lots of tight connections.
Old Apr 20, 18, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had the automated tool do anything. It's too dumb to handle these types if itineraries.

Sometimes I've had a concierge proactively reach out, and sometimes I contact them. But I don't contact them unless there's a specific course of action I need them to take (i.e. rebooking me, letting a gate know that I'm running for it, etc.). In my experience, there isn't much they can do to help you make a connection. I tend to run faster than they do
canopus27 and smallmj like this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 10:43 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Hmm...It appears the Comfort Fare Double Miles offer is either broken or has been taken down. My first Comfort Fare posted to Aeroplan/Altitude today, and I didn't get double miles so I wanted to check the T&C, but when I went to the link it returns " Cannot serve request to /content/aircanada/ca/en/aco/home/book/special-offers/aeroplan/double-miles.html on this server"
Old Apr 20, 18, 10:58 am

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kenlor View Post
Hmm...It appears the Comfort Fare Double Miles offer is either broken or has been taken down. My first Comfort Fare posted to Aeroplan/Altitude today, and I didn't get double miles so I wanted to check the T&C, but when I went to the link it returns " Cannot serve request to /content/aircanada/ca/en/aco/home/book/special-offers/aeroplan/double-miles.html on this server"
The offer was only good up until yesterday, so I'm not surprised that the description is no longer on the web site.
Old Apr 20, 18, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenlor View Post
Bonus miles almost never post immediately. It could take 6 weeks from the end of the flying window.

And while that statement is quite relevant for EYW, the CO context should be discussed in another thread.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:07 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Thanks canopus27 and canadiancow, appreciated / noted!
Old Apr 22, 18, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
A friend asked me how many wings it would take this year to get into top 10/30?
For reference, last year's EYW was 104k (10th) and 59k (30th).

This year "prairie airports" aren't as valuable -- so us commuters between Toronto-Vancouver can't capitalize on doing the prairie milk runs.
I'm lucky that I have a work gig in London Ontario (YXU) which is a valuable airport!

I don't see the "team badges" playing a difference for top 10, as those people are doing purely domestic.
For top 30, you probably have a mix and therefore it may create more competition there.

My estimation is a small increase, 110k for 10th place and 70k for 30th.
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-G Accor-G MR-S
@philelite Nobody will get anywhere near those figures without wings being posted. I have multiple flights from 8 and 10 days ago which have not shown up on my profile. Didn't AC make a commitment to faster posting?
--
13F
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, AC MM, Marriott PPwA
Originally Posted by philelite View Post
A friend asked me how many wings it would take this year to get into top 10/30?
For reference, last year's EYW was 104k (10th) and 59k (30th).
My estimation is a small increase, 110k for 10th place and 70k for 30th.
I like that estimate and would suggest the increase is mainly due to the fact that the start date was known a few weeks in advance.

Search this Thread