Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Parent and Child with seperate Aeroplan accounts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to book one way tickets from YYC-Tampa for myself and my 3 year old son. The miles I am planning to use are in 2 seperate Aeroplan accounts. Does anyone know if this will be a problem for me? Should I book both tickets as adults and then call in to tell them my son is a child? Or would I book my sons ticket through the contact centre?

I am just worried that the system will see this as a child without an adult, we’ll be on the same itineraries the whole way.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by stevevandie
I am looking to book one way tickets from YYC-Tampa for myself and my 3 year old son. The miles I am planning to use are in 2 seperate Aeroplan accounts. Does anyone know if this will be a problem for me? Should I book both tickets as adults and then call in to tell them my son is a child? Or would I book my sons ticket through the contact centre?

I am just worried that the system will see this as a child without an adult, we’ll be on the same itineraries the whole way.
In my experience (and I have done this a number of times) you can book both tickets separately and call Air Canada and ask them to link the reservations together, and to note on your son itinerary that he is travelling with you. Or probably better is just to call Aeroplan to book the tickets and get them to do it.

Either way, shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, good to know I can call in to do it. I can't book the tickets separately online since they won't allow a reservation that only includes a child. Hopefully they wouldn't charge me the phone booking fee.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevevandie
Thanks, good to know I can call in to do it. I can't book the tickets separately online since they won't allow a reservation that only includes a child. Hopefully they wouldn't charge me the phone booking fee.
You might book as an adult and then phone and have them change to a child and cross-reference the two reservations.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC SE
How about booking the outbound with one account and the return with the other? Same number of miles and that would ensure that both passengers are on the same PNR in the case of IROPS.
Diabeetus and Yhztraveller like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
You might book as an adult and then phone and have them change to a child and cross-reference the two reservations.
Originally Posted by jasdou
How about booking the outbound with one account and the return with the other? Same number of miles and that would ensure that both passengers are on the same PNR in the case of IROPS.

I've done both of these before, and it works.

If on separate PNR, make sure to have them cross reference the bookings. I've cross referenced a whole combo of tickets for one trip recently:
Wife 2 PNR (outbound reward J/inbound reward J)
Child 3 PNR (positioning flights/reward PY/reward PY)
Me 1 PNR (return paid PY)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
You are SMRT!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I am only using Aeroplan for the return. The outbound flights are too cheap to justify using miles on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.