Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada announces plans to retire E190 fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada announces plans to retire E190 fleet

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
well AC is now going to delay its purchase of 11 737s, by 3 years, in part because of its inability to sell the E90s, perhaps some delays are also due to the disaster of a first 1/4 earnings.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...199/?cmpid=NLC FGFG FGFIN-2018-0501-GLOB&sfid=70120000000taAh
Air Canada has shifted its Boeing 737 Max delivery schedule, delaying some deliveries up to three years as it evaluates other aspects of its fleet, including performance of the Bombardier CSeries.

But while it will delay 11 737 deliveries, the Montreal-based carrier has shifted five 737 Max deliveries forward one year, to 2020, executives said during Air Canada's earnings call on 30 April.

"We concluded an amendment to [our] Boeing 737 purchase agreement where certain aircraft are accelerated and other are deferred," Air Canada chief financial officer Michael Rousseau says during the call.

The company does not say if the changes affect orders for 737 Max 8s or 737 Max 9s, and it does not disclose a specific timeline.

The company in 2014 placed orders for 61 737 Max, including 50 737 Max 8 and 11 737 Max 9s, with deliveries initially scheduled to run from 2017 to 2021.

The 737 Max 9s were to be handed over last, in 2020 and 2021, according to Flight Fleets Analyzer.

Air Canada already operates 12 737 Max 8s.

Its most-recent fleet plan leaves unchanged an expectation for the airline to have 36 737 Max in the fleet by the end of 2019.

Asked about why Air Canada made the shift, chief executive Calin Rovinescu says it ensures the company brings 737s on board when it needs the capacity.

But he cites other "moving parts", including Air Canada's fleet of 25 Embraer 190s and an order for 45 CS300s.

Air Canada will begin divesting E190s this year, and it intends to receive CS300s between late 2019 and 2022.

"When we made the 737 order we didn't know exactly what we were doing with exiting the 190s… We didn't have, at that stage, the CSeries orders," he says.

"We will also wait and see how the CSeries performs," Rovinescu adds.

He also hints at possible further orders, noting that Air Canada holds options on both 737s and CS300s.

"These changes give us maximum flexibility to bring the 737s Max in a time when we can use them most effectively," he says. "We don’t want to be inundated with aircraft at times when we can't use them, and we don't want to be short of aircraft."

Last edited by flybit; May 3, 2018 at 3:47 am Reason: try to make link work
Old May 1, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Anything CSeries related will be far cheaper for them. They'll supplement with the CSeries so long as they're stuck with those E90s. No surprise there!
Old May 1, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Anything CSeries related will be far cheaper for them. They'll supplement with the CSeries so long as they're stuck with those E90s. No surprise there!
Could you clarify what you mean?
Old May 2, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
CSeries has been trading at a discount, no?
Old May 2, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcamp028
CSeries has been trading at a discount, no?
yes a huge discount, the taxpayers paid $5 billion and Bombardier sold 50% for $1. thats a huge Canadian discount
Old May 3, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybit
well AC is now going to delay its purchase of 11 737s, by 3 years, in part because of its inability to sell the E90s, perhaps some delays are also due to the disaster of a first 1/4 earnings.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...199/?cmpid=NLC FGFG FGFIN-2018-0501-GLOB&sfid=70120000000taAh
I don't see where the article mentions either an inability to sell the E90s, or first quarter earnings though.

(Obviously one should be fee to speculate, but then it should probably be clear that that's what it is, rather than looking like it comes from a citation... Which I initially thought it was.)
Old May 3, 2018, 3:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't see where the article mentions either an inability to sell the E90s, or first quarter earnings though.

(Obviously one should be fee to speculate, but then it should probably be clear that that's what it is, rather than looking like it comes from a citation... Which I initially thought it was.)
hey sorry the link didnt attach properly, I will try to fix it.

When i get out of China i will also add the info of E190 being scrapped as there isnt a resale market for them, or PM you.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybit
hey sorry the link didnt attach properly, I will try to fix it.
Link is fine. That's not my point.

When i get out of China i will also add the info of E190 being scrapped as there isnt a resale market for them, or PM you.
I believe that also. It's just that the way you wrote made it look like that additional information on the E90 was coming out of the Flight Magazine article you cited, when actually it's not. (And no, not a huge deal.)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Just noticed, as I was looking through some of AC's financials for other information, that they executed a sale-leaseback on the E90s in August 2018. According to the Q3 MD&A, they will all be retired, gradually, by the end of 2020.

AC may have some wiggle room in case of delays in new aircraft coming in and whatnot, but probably a pretty high likelihood that, come 2021, there will be no more E90s in the fleet.

AC realized proceeds of $293MM on the sale, which required them to book a loss of $188MM.

6 of the E90s left the fleet in 2018, with another 5 scheduled for this year, so it looks like the bulk the retirements will be in 2020.

Looks like the planes that have been leaving so far are being torn down for parts.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I will miss the Jungle Jet - especially in these days of cramming 450 people onto planes designed for 350.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
the E190s have not been looked after in the last year or so. I've only had one go tech on me - before or after boarding but inside they need some TLC. They are dirty and scruffy and it's really 50/50 whether the USB port is working (or it's been pushed into the seat in front). (TIP - always take a battery on an E190 as you can't guarantee a working ESB.

I love the aircraft - first acquired with BA City flier in the UK with E170 and E190 aircraft in and out of London City Airport.

Bumpy - yes, comfy - absolutely - the best leg room in the AC fleet, and always a window or aisle. Planing and de-plaining on a 2 x 2 is a delight and is quick - way quicker than a 3 x 3.
The pilots always look fairly senior and I is suspect like the 767 - you either love or hate flying it!!

For YYZ to YOW which is my weekly commute, I hope they respect this flagship commuter route for the A220 fleet and not more ageing A319s. Having flown on the Max a couple of times to west coast US and Canada - I hate it!! Cramped, and not fun to fly 5 hours in. I prefer the A321 on those routes for the space.

Twice in the last month - a flight of mine has been downgauged to an E190 due to airbus availability. Love them or hate them, they are currently the workhorse of the fleet. And some airlines such as BA CItiflyer are looking for 2nd hand models to fit the demands of LCY. (mind you - the BCS1's which Swiss fly into LCY do look beautiful.

Anyone remember the BAE 146's and AVRO jets - they become obsolete due to the performance of the E190s!!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
For YYZ to YOW which is my weekly commute, I hope they respect this flagship commuter route for the A220 fleet and not more ageing A319s. Having flown on the Max a couple of times to west coast US and Canada - I hate it!! Cramped, and not fun to fly 5 hours in. I prefer the A321 on those routes for the space.
Most people will agree on the max.
Twice in the last month - a flight of mine has been downgauged to an E190 due to airbus availability. Love them or hate them, they are currently the workhorse of the fleet. And some airlines such as BA CItiflyer are looking for 2nd hand models to fit the demands of LCY. (mind you - the BCS1's which Swiss fly into LCY do look beautiful.
Workhorse? I don't think so...BTW the have virtually (maybe totally) disappeared from the West. And apparently there are no takers for those AC passed on to Boeing... Not even for LCI.
Anyone remember the BAE 146's and AVRO jets - they become obsolete due to the performance of the E190s!!
Long been obsolete. The original Garrett engine was crap and having four of these made it worse. AC regional had some around here maybe twenty some years ago. It was really the CRJ that made them obsolete, way before the E90, which is not that efficient. Nice for pax in Y, yes. Single seat in J is nice too, but so it is on the CR9.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
so if AC cant sell the 190s even for parts, I guess they will be sticking around for a few more years. Hopefully not as long as AC A320s.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:42 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mellon
so if AC cant sell the 190s even for parts, I guess they will be sticking around for a few more years. Hopefully not as long as AC A320s.
No, they would just park them. I guess they can be insurance if the A220’s are late. A220 deliveries have slowed down again...I’m hoping the A320 stick around as long as possible over the 737. I was on fin 226 yesterday, everything was fine with that aircraft.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mellon
AC has already sold the remainder of the E90s and are leasing them back until the A220s are delivered.
mellon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.