Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada announces plans to retire E190 fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada announces plans to retire E190 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:49 pm

For Y, the E190 was the way to go when traveling with a partner.
I flew an E190 YHZ-YYZ and then a Westjet B737 YYZ-LGA and the difference in the windows was very noticeable. E190 windows are wider and higher, the 737 windows are smaller and you have to look down! My neck was killing me after that B737 flight.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jazzed91
Yes it was!

I'll be sad to see the E90 go. They are one of my favourites.
You're welcome: Like rabid dogs, FlyerTalkers travel in packs at AC event.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
So I guess that YOW-YYZ will see more A319 in the near future then?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:36 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
While a fan of the E90s the CS3 is a rather nice ride in Y (both Swiss and Air Baltic) so am looking forward to that. A nice wide 2x3 vs the 3x3 of legacy Airbus or any Boeing...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I like the E190 leg room, one single lav in the back is bad - long wait and short height inside the lav (I have to hunch over) is worse. The smaller bin space isn't great either in winter when there are more jackets. It had its teething pain when it was first introduced to the Canadian cold weather. Many mechanical issues and delays as a result. How nice is the interior of the C300 replacement?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by briantoronto
While a fan of the E90s the CS3 is a rather nice ride in Y (both Swiss and Air Baltic) so am looking forward to that. A nice wide 2x3 vs the 3x3 of legacy Airbus or any Boeing...
Assume AC doesn't rampage the interior that is.....
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Assume AC doesn't rampage the interior that is.....
I would expect a similar Y config as the 737 MAX (other than it being 2x3). Seats may also be a lick wider.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
So I guess that YOW-YYZ will see more A319 in the near future then?
I was thinking the same thing. I doubt they deploy the CS3 doing rapidair routes.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:36 am

The flapless landing problems seem to have gone away in the past few years. For a while there, it was almost every other week that they'd have to land one without flaps if I recall, but thankfully nothing really bad came of that. For the most part, after a few years in service, the pilots and maintenance learned most of the tricks to making them run well, and reliability is now very good -- probably even slightly better than the legacy A320 fleet.

Don't know how the raw numbers work out, but AC probably needs a slight capacity trim domestically, so this works out. They are relatively easily remarketed at this point, which probably was a significant consideration.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Thanks for linking that. Very interesting read!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
How nice is the interior of the C300 replacement?
We've yet to see AC's cabin configuration. The plane itself is beautiful. Big overhead bins that allow roll-aboards on their sides like the 787. Big windows. Feels much comfier than a typical narrowbody.

But it will depend heavily on what seats, and how many, AC puts in. I've only flown the CSeries on LX and I found their choice of seats to be very poor as they were quite hard and uncomfortable with small pitch.

Originally Posted by pitz
Don't know how the raw numbers work out, but AC probably needs a slight capacity trim domestically, so this works out. They are relatively easily remarketed at this point, which probably was a significant consideration.
Remember that AC isn't just dumping the E90s early, they're also AC keeping 319s longer than originally planned to cover for the E90s.. This likely results in a capacity increase given 120 seats vs 97, unless AC runs the 319s on fewer flights. On a few routes, maybe AC could chop a daily flight to make up for it, but in a lot of cases, I suspect that's difficult. For instance, are 3x daily YYC/YEG-YOWs going to become 2?

As for selling the E90s, is the market really that good for them? Look at the saga of the 20 ex-AC planes that Boeing took. Those sat around for a long time after the DL deal fell through and, looking at Planespotters, it looks like two of them are still looking for homes.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Bye 19A/F.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I was thinking the same thing. I doubt they deploy the CS3 doing rapidair routes.
It will be interesting to see what aircraft type we see on YOW-YYZ once the E90 fleet is fully retired and the A319 eventually redeployed. Although I expect it to still be mostly jets, competition is primarily DH4 on this route. Wondering if we may eventually see more CR9/E75 instead with 7M8 operating peak hours flights
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Remember that AC isn't just dumping the E90s early, they're also AC keeping 319s longer than originally planned to cover for the E90s.. This likely results in a capacity increase given 120 seats vs 97, unless AC runs the 319s on fewer flights. On a few routes, maybe AC could chop a daily flight to make up for it, but in a lot of cases, I suspect that's difficult. For instance, are 3x daily YYC/YEG-YOWs going to become 2?
My fear as well - short-term. or we go to a more variable schedule (some days 3 flights, some days 2). Longer-term YOW-AB would likely be a great route for CSeries
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
It will be interesting to see what aircraft type we see on YOW-YYZ once the E90 fleet is fully retired and the A319 eventually redeployed. Although I expect it to still be mostly jets, competition is primarily DH4 on this route. Wondering if we may eventually see more CR9/E75 instead with 7M8 operating peak hours flights
I think they could get away with that in the summer time, and let Jazz/Sky Regional operate some of the flights.

But we saw what happened when they went all E190s on this route for a couple of months last year (gong show in peak hours) and now that they've gone back to some A320s + repositioning 763s it has helped but busy days in business travel season are still an issue. Yesterday for example I was considering whether I should grab an earlier flight to YYZ. At 10am I looked and noon E190 full in J/Y, 1pm E190 full in J/Y, 2pm E190 full in J/Y, 3pm E190 full in J/Y, 4pm cancelled, 4:30pm 767 which I was on full in J/Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.