Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Dont think so. Lots of carriers schedule much tighter turnarounds, and utilize their fleet more efficiently. Southwest comes to mind (for those who still claim weather is to blame). As does Ryanair with their 30 minute turns and 88% on time performance.
30-minute turns are easy if you pad your block times enough.

I flew 8 segments with DL in the last couple of weeks. Every flight was early, but the block times were incredibly padded. Which, of course, I don’t mind as a customer.

I really don’t know why AC doesn’t do something similar with their own schedules...

Last edited by ffsim; Mar 28, 2018 at 8:27 pm Reason: Pad, not paid.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim

I really don’t know why AC doesn’t do something similar with their own schedules...
Perhaps because if maintaining same time on the ground between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure, plane unitilzation would go down significantly?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
Perhaps because if maintaining same time on the ground between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure, plane unitilzation would go down significantly?
Sure, it’s possible. I mean, there must be a reason.

But if you’re consistently late — to the point where you’re typically in-line with EF’s historical reliability numbers — the plane isn’t getting used anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I flew 8 segments with DL in the last couple of weeks. Every flight was early, but the block times were incredibly padded.
I looked at YYZ-ATL, as both AC and DL offer non stop flights. I wouldn't call the DL schedule "incredibly padded" relative to the AC one.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I looked at YYZ-ATL, as both AC and DL offer non stop flights. I wouldn't call the DL schedule "incredibly padded" relative to the AC one.
I didn’t fly YYZ-ATL.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

30-minute turns are easy if you pad your block times enough.

I flew 8 segments with DL in the last couple of weeks. Every flight was early, but the block times were incredibly padded. Which, of course, I don’t mind as a customer.

They not only do something similar, on a lot of routes, they do it better

Look at the previous page, AC pads just as much as everyone else, on domestics vs westjet, on transborders vs DL,AA,UA and on transatlantics vs BA and others.
The "others pad their schedules" argument is simply not true, and easily debunked by a simple 2 second google search. For every route you find the competition with a 5 minute longer block time, I can find you an AC route where they pad MORE than their competition

Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Some posters just won't believe AC is last

Some try to blame it on snow, bad weather, other airlines pad flight timest, eventually those poster go to other threads.
Realistically, AC just does not care because most of it's customers are trapped .
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
AS is over 85% OTP and they fly to snowy Alaska.
I'm guessing only 10% of AS departures are to/from Alaska. Not exactly congested airports.
A quick spray and they're off.

Keep in mind, when it's really cold it doesn't snow. De icing not required unless it's an overnight.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:12 am

Remove Canadian Airlines International (rest their beloved soul) from the commercial airline mix in Canada, allow Air Canada to create a monopoly, and this is what you get (and the cold shoulder from Air Canada employees, because you are nothing but a "nuisance" passenger. You know, to the vast majority of Air Canada employees, Air Canada passengers are nothing but a nuisance,.

Last edited by H3A3H3; Mar 30, 2018 at 6:33 am
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Dont think so. Lots of carriers schedule much tighter turnarounds, and utilize their fleet more efficiently. Southwest comes to mind (for those who still claim weather is to blame). As does Ryanair with their 30 minute turns and 88% on time performance.
Both airlines only fly one type of aircraft (each). It's far fewer things for flight, ground and operations crews to think about and plan for.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A huge improvement for AC in March. Still dead last with NA carriers of course, but up to 67% in March. Must feel good to finally beat out Air India and PIA!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Wow, so AC is still last in NA! https://www.flightstats.com/company/...orts/airlines/
It would be nice if the CBC would report this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations to Air Canada, they are now 2nd worst in North America for April 2018. Almost up to 70% on time!
On the world stage, they've proudly beat out all star airlines like PK, MS and AI.

Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Credit where credit is due, congrats to the OPs people.

AC mananges to reach 79.8% OTP for the month of May (on par with legacy carriers of US)

Benchmark:
West Jet: 87.3%
American: 78.4%
Delta: 84.5%
United: 79%

Here's to hope AC has managed to crawl out of the hole and shall never return to 50% OTP ever again.
https://www.oag.com/hubfs/Monthly_OT...6-a4b0abab0217

Perhaps thread title should be changed to "Monthly AC OTP Results and Discussion"? (Just an idea) @tcook052

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jun 24, 2018 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I hope safety and service are not compromised to achieve this boost in OTP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.