Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
In the real world small m is milli, not mega. Which is cap M.
5 millimeters.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
Symmetre likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 3:08 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Symmetre

Speaking for myself only, I sincerely doubt that. Many, many years of dealing with AC strongly suggests otherwise.
You might be right. Maybe AC management doesnt believe it is a significant problem. Though AC OTP is dead last vs its peers, perhaps AC has calculated that spending a significant amount of time and money improving OTP will not yield much of a return.

We certainly havent seen business travellers shift their loyalty to WS because of OTP.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by AC7E7
You might be right. Maybe AC management doesn’t believe it is a significant problem. Though AC OTP is dead last vs it’s peers, perhaps AC has calculated that spending a significant amount of time and money improving OTP will not yield much of a return.

We certainly haven’t seen business travellers shift their loyalty to WS because of OTP.
Flights this week: Delayed 2.5h, cancelled, delayed 2h, on time.

Flights last week: Delayed 1h, delayed 1.5h, delayed 2.5h, delayed 0.5h

Number of those destinations served by WS instead of AC: 0.

I hope WS increases their footprint to drive competition, because it isn't like I am going take my business somewhere else. And they know it.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I wonder if WS doesn't fly these routes cause it knows it can't do better 🤔
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
We certainly havent seen business travellers shift their loyalty to WS because of OTP.
The growing number of non-current Altitude bag tags I have seen on WS flights over the past two years - including some SE and MM tags - suggests otherwise.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:44 pm

The growing number of non-current Altitude bag tags I have seen on WS flights over the past two years - including some SE and MM tags - suggests otherwise.
You've asked every one of them and they've stated that they've switched over to WS as their primary carrier because of AC's OTP?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
The only flights I can rely on for reliability are the Toronto to Ottawa flights - usually on an E190 which are reliable frames (for their age) and always use Toronto crews. It's really quite hard to screw up - unless it goes tech. ( the crew are usually very junior - AC should offer sneakers to them for what they achieve in 40 mins in the air!!)
With only four bases - YVR, YUC, YYZ and YUL - for crew and pilots in all of Canada, there is way too much zig zagging of crew and aircraft to make it work.
Most of the YYZ to LGA flights I use are where the aircraft and crew appear to operate YUL - YYZ - LGA - YYZ - YUL and so the fragility and yet rigid nature of the rostering of aircraft and crew leave AC so vulnerable.
When you add in Long Haul Aircraft to fly to / from Europe and then do a cheeky Vancouver and back - it is no wonder that these schedules which are no longer compartmentalised into discreet groups of sectors then deliver such low OTP. (mind you - good for the shareholders).
Spoiler alert - OPT was c**p before the max debacle and so I really don't see it as a valid excuse
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:32 pm
Original Member

I am certain their abysmal OT performance vs the competition is being taken seriously by management,
Absolutely.

They know that good OTP costs money. If OTP improves it's a clear sign that additional cost savings are needed.
rankourabu, Bohemian1 and mellon like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by 5mm

Or, maybe because of the Max? Just looking at AC performance to WS tells a different story.
Nope, started seeing more and more of them long before the Max issue arose.

Originally Posted by cedric
There are many reasons that you might see expired Altitude tags on WS. Without any data, there's no way to determine if OTP is a contributing factor.
The most likely reason I see people with AC status / former status on WS flights is because they are flying on WS and not on AC. Im no rocket surgeon, but my guess is if they were completely thrilled with and loyal to AC, then they would keep their business there.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:56 am

duplicate post, pls delete
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS

Nope, started seeing more and more of them long before the Max issue arose.

The most likely reason I see people with AC status / former status on WS flights is because they are flying on WS and not on AC. Im no rocket surgeon, but my guess is if they were completely thrilled with and loyal to AC, then they would keep their business there.
I am 100K and still take WS from time to time. If an AC fare is too high vs WS , Ill book a flight on WS. I will also book a WA flight if the AC flight times are not convenient.

Look, we can complain at length about OTP, but at the end of the day, if AC believes they can better invest their $ on other initiatives that will provide a better ROI, then they will do that.

Im not saying OTP is not a problem - I am routinely waiting 10-20 mins on the tarmac at YYC for ground crews. However, there are likely other initiatives that produce better returns.

If OTP is a serious enough that makes your business travels a problem, by all means travel on the competition. If enough business travellers move to WS and indicate OTP as a primary concern, I trust resolving their lacklustre OTP will be prioritized.

Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Follow up question: Why would anyone attach/keep expired tags on their bags?
We are getting OT but you can think of many reasons. Mine is that have several bags. AC only give me two tags. I use the current ones on my most frequently used bags and leave the expired ones on the less frequently used ones to avoid swapping tags all the time.

Of course, for other people, pick one: laziness, clinging to past glory, ego, newer tag broke so had to use an old one or any other legitimate/illegitimate reason. Whatever.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm

The most common def for mm or MM is millimeters. Caps have nothing to do will milli or mega.
No.

Caps have everything to do with it.

https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

m is milli
M is mega

In terms of units, m is meter/metre.
M is often used as shorthand for mol/L.

mm, mM, Mm, and MM are all quite different.

Originally Posted by jasdou

We are getting OT but you can think of many reasons. Mine is that have several bags. AC only give me two tags. I use the current ones on my most frequently used bags and leave the expired ones on the less frequently used ones to avoid swapping tags all the time.

Of course, for other people, pick one: laziness, clinging to past glory, ego, newer tag broke so had to use an old one or any other legitimate/illegitimate reason. Whatever.
Especially in years where the only design change is the year, I often find myself noticing a previous year's tag after 6 months. I attempt to swap them out, but sometimes I just don't notice.

They serve as an identification document. A 2019 SE tag doesn't mean the holder has SE status any more than a 2018 E50K tag means they do not.
ffsim, D582 and jasdou like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.