Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
A new set of data for OTP. 66.1% on time.

https://www.oag.com/on-time-performa...r-ratings-2018
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

Will they proudly announce before each flight "AC - a proud 2* on time airline!"
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:52 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
And both Toronto airports are at the bottom, both of the list in general and of all airports referenced in Canada.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

I think that's fairly typical for AC. Their OTP hits an atrocious low point then they take action to correct it.

I think the problem is they then say "well that problem is solved" and stop worrying about it. Then the start to slide back to poor OTP again.

I think this cycle has repeated several times over the past 6-7 years.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: aeroplan - no status
AC turn around time is too short with their FINS..one delay is going to ripple through the rest of the day.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I think that's fairly typical for AC. Their OTP hits an atrocious low point then they take action to correct it.

I think the problem is they then say "well that problem is solved" and stop worrying about it. Then the start to slide back to poor OTP again.

I think this cycle has repeated several times over the past 6-7 years.
If by take action you mean waited for snow to melt, then yes, they certainly did
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If by take action you mean waited for snow to melt, then yes, they certainly did
Eh, can they blame (the) god(s)? Who makes the snow?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Will they proudly announce before each flight "AC - a proud 2* on time airline!"
Not before Allegiant proudly proclaims their 76.4% OTP and *3 rating (presumably in OTP and not safety)!

All joking aside, I'd be curious to see how much of it is MX versus WX versus other factors. One thing to keep in mind is that other airlines have younger fleets (i.e. WS's fleet averages under 10 years whereas AC's fleet averages 13 years) and younger aircraft generally means less maintenance and downtime (unless it's a 787 with a Rolls Royce). Also, AC has a large fleet with a variety of different aircrafts from Airbus and Boeing to Embrarer which means they have to keep a variety of parts and specialized staff on hand to repair the different aircrafts they have potentially slowing down repair times. Compare that to the likes of WS which primarily operate the 737 and 767.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Not before Allegiant proudly proclaims their 76.4% OTP and *3 rating (presumably in OTP and not safety)!

All joking aside, I'd be curious to see how much of it is MX versus WX versus other factors. One thing to keep in mind is that other airlines have younger fleets (i.e. WS's fleet averages under 10 years whereas AC's fleet averages 13 years) and younger aircraft generally means less maintenance and downtime (unless it's a 787 with a Rolls Royce). Also, AC has a large fleet with a variety of different aircrafts from Airbus and Boeing to Embrarer which means they have to keep a variety of parts and specialized staff on hand to repair the different aircrafts they have potentially slowing down repair times. Compare that to the likes of WS which primarily operate the 737 and 767.

Safe Travels,

James
While that serves as a reasonable explanation, it's not an excuse.

If AC's fleet is too old to have a good OTP, that's their fault.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:53 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Safe Travels,

James
I think a better comparison might be made to UA, which runs a broad mix of aircraft (even more than AC when you include Express), with similar average age, and operates out of some interesting WX-sensitive bases like DEN and ORD.

Speaking of which, YYZ is even lower than ORD in terms of OTP on this list. How much of that is related to AC's record, or vice versa, is probably open to speculation.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Speaking from the (live) perspective of a 5 hour delay which could have easily been avoided with a bit of proactive help at Toronto, I will be enjoying the €600 compo.

Utter shambles,
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I think a better comparison might be made to UA, which runs a broad mix of aircraft (even more than AC when you include Express), with similar average age, and operates out of some interesting WX-sensitive bases like DEN and ORD.

Speaking of which, YYZ is even lower than ORD in terms of OTP on this list. How much of that is related to AC's record, or vice versa, is probably open to speculation.
YYZ RWY 33 Ops is pure garbage.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
And here I sit today on 1672, 3.5 hours late. Boarded an hour and a half ago, yet we’re still at the terminal waiting for fuel.

How is is this even possible? I appreciate that it is cold outside. But AC runs this flight every single day. They should know enough to order the gas.

The AC apologists will blame the weather, of course. But it’s January in Canada - cold weather shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.

Yet another AC flight, and yet another delay attributable to nothing more than simple incompetence.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:23 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
And here I sit today on 1672, 3.5 hours late. Boarded an hour and a half ago, yet we’re still at the terminal waiting for fuel.

How is is this even possible? I appreciate that it is cold outside. But AC runs this flight every single day. They should know enough to order the gas.

The AC apologists will blame the weather, of course. But it’s January in Canada - cold weather shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.

Yet another AC flight, and yet another delay attributable to nothing more than simple incompetence.
This is not a AC problem, but a YYZ operational problem. AC only orders the fuel. They can't control anything else. This problem happens at a lot of airports. It has personally happened to me at 20 plus airports on different airlines.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:29 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 5mm
This is not a AC problem, but a YYZ operational problem. AC only orders the fuel. They can't control anything else. This problem happens at a lot of airports. It has personally happened to me at 20 plus airports on different airlines.
Most flights in terminal 3 this morning are also delayed by 3 hours+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.