Weird Flight Pass Upgrade behavior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Weird Flight Pass Upgrade behavior

YYZ to south....

Latitude flight pass.

In 48 hour window.

I've got Expertflyer open in one window, watching J. So it goes from J0 to J1.

So I hit the flight booking for Mrs. ITAG to grab the complimentary upgrade .... and it can't do it, and 5 seconds later, Expertflyer hits J0 again.

This has happened 5 times in the last 2 hours for a flight tomorrow.

Anyone seeing weird flight pass behaviour like this?

I called in and got a nice agent (imagine that!) and we talked and I wondered if the flight file was messed; he couldn't see anything but intimated that with a bunch of recent changes 'some things are messed up.'

Thoughts?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've seen this before.
J4, attempted upgrade, error, J3.
Attempted upgrade, error, J2.
Attempted upgrade, error, J1.
Attempted upgrade, error, J0.

15 minutes later, it reset to J4, and i reproduced the whole thing.

I actually got a hold of someone in RM who was perplexed by it.

​​​​​​In the end, I had to get a phone agent to do the upgrade.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This doesn't just happen with North American Latitude FPs. This also happens when you need to upgrade based on Z, P, or R space. I've only seen this when I set an EF alert and it goes from 0 to 1, and it gives errors but only very close to the flight, like minutes within the gate cutoff... I simply chalked it up to the inventory being "held" for last last second stuff in the system. ("held", for the lack of a better word)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC S100K
My thoughts on OP's observation:

Most occasions I fly on Latitude FPs I cause this kind of behavior when I cancel my R eupgrade and grab the complimentary one. It will go from J0 Y(x) to J1 Y(x-1), then back to J0 Y(x). Lately the phone agents have been getting good at this transaction, taking only a few seconds, but it used to be a trial with the J space up for grabs for minutes. I've had my seat sniped before (for which I'll now blame OP).

Having written that, it seems odd that this would happen more than a couple of times on one flight but who knows.

The whole website upgrade process has been very temperamental recently to the point I just phone reservations for everything.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
My thoughts on OP's observation:

Most occasions I fly on Latitude FPs I cause this kind of behavior when I cancel my R eupgrade and grab the complimentary one. It will go from J0 Y(x) to J1 Y(x-1), then back to J0 Y(x). Lately the phone agents have been getting good at this transaction, taking only a few seconds, but it used to be a trial with the J space up for grabs for minutes. I've had my seat sniped before (for which I'll now blame OP).

Having written that, it seems odd that this would happen more than a couple of times on one flight but who knows.

The whole website upgrade process has been very temperamental recently to the point I just phone reservations for everything.
If you request the complimentary upgrade, it fails, and J drops by 1, it's a bug in the upgrade system. I've reproduced this numerous times on various people's accounts, while in an active conversation with RM.

It's not someone sniping it or changing the upgrade, it's a bug in the FP system.
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you request the complimentary upgrade, it fails, and J drops by 1, it's a bug in the upgrade system. I've reproduced this numerous times on various people's accounts, while in an active conversation with RM.

It's not someone sniping it or changing the upgrade, it's a bug in the FP system.
I have little doubt there are many bugs in the system including this one (but I know I have been sniped before ).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm inclined to think its a bug. It happened with repeatable occurrence today, and the thing between J0 to J1 was fairly consistent - around 15 minutes. Must be some kind of inventory sweep that their system does.

If only Air Canada could hire competent IT people. Thank god they don't fly the planes.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I have noticed this as well.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

This is definitely a bug. It happened again this morning with my booking and that of MrsITAG.

As soon as J=1, the complimentary upgrade is not available with online.

The solution seems to be a) call in or b) have an advance strategy to effectively change the math.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:12 am
Original Poster

A question with respect to this ongoing bug.

I've got a flight coming up that I've got a confirmed e-ugprade on, and at 48 hours, want to flip it into the Flight Pass upgrade.

J=0 currently.

I'd like to hear stories, successful and non-successful, on phoning in to get it done (since it can't be done online; normally if J>2, I'd cancel the ticket, rebook, and get the J upgrade) when J=0.

Did you lose the upgrade in the 2 minutes it took the agent to do it? Keep it?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

I've got a flight coming up that I've got a confirmed e-ugprade on, and at 48 hours, want to flip it into the Flight Pass upgrade.

J=0 currently.

I'd like to hear stories, successful and non-successful, on phoning in to get it done (since it can't be done online; normally if J>2, I'd cancel the ticket, rebook, and get the J upgrade) when J=0.

I used to do the comp 48 hour u/g with latitude passes, however, have stopped as I have plenty of ecredits I toss annually.
Was never able to effectively do online u/g ,due to issues/bugs you have already discussed.

Whether I end up at R or J is irrelevant to me. What matters is the seat.
Too many hoops, lectures from agents, unqualified agents or lengthy amount of phone time with push 1 or 2 or 3 .....
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

There are good reasons to move it from R to J: first off, totally different treatment protecting your upgrade in IRROPS. Among other "benefits."

So ... still interested in other views...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are good reasons to move it from R to J: first off, totally different treatment protecting your upgrade in IRROPS. Among other "benefits."

So ... still interested in other views...
You just reminded me of an event a few years ago where the J made a huge difference over R class.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:38 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I call in and ask/tell the agent that under no circumstance do I want to loose the seat. Some say , oh, they can't, others say , yes, I'll cancel the e-uped flight and change it to the comp: ie: no danger of loosing the seat.

J is much better than R for Irrops or if you need to change flight.

The e-ups I have left in Feb , if any , I use to upgrade friends I travel with or strangers at the airport.

Used some for friends who never travel , Yul-yyz , in a pod. They were over the moon
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

J=0 currently.

Asking agents to switch it always takes me a long time. I sit up on FP bookings page, call, and ask them to cancel the eUp.

As soon as they say "done", I click into the booking, and do the comp up. Much faster.

And with the new app, I suspect it would be even faster.

However, it is always POSSIBLE someone else could grab the seat. Unlikely, but possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.