Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Coming soon: Air Canada to introduce Economy Basic on select Asia Pacific routes

From AC travel agent newsletter:

Air Canada will introduce the Economy Basic fare for travel over the Pacific effective February 25, 2019. The Economy Basic fare will be offered on select routes and flights to/from Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand, as of this date.

The addition of Economy Basic fares to these select Asia Pacific markets will allow AirCanada to offer a choice of products and services that best meet customers’ individual travel needs.

The last two characters of the fare basis code for the fare type on your GDS will be:
  • BA = Basic
Further information on the fare and its attributes will be communicated on February 25, 2019.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Well there goes the myth of "basic is needed to compete with LCCs". Which LCC flies across the Pacific? Other than Air Canada, of course.
The Lev, Symmetre, leoo and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:22 am

Hi, didn't want to open a new thread and figured it fits into this one. Is it possible that AC categorically prevents booking standard economy tickets on very short-notice, i.e. 1-3 days prior to departure? I've just tried a couple of routes from Germany to Canada and Chile and surprisingly, despite Expertflyer showing plenty of availability, the "Standard" option on Aircanada.com has been greyed out every time. Is AC steering people towards more expensive tickets for short-notice flights?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by altalk08
. Is it possible that AC categorically prevents booking standard economy tickets on very short-notice, i.e. 1-3 days prior to departure?
I expect the filed tariff defines the number of days in advance a particular fare is available.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by leisurefly
I expect the filed tariff defines the number of days in advance a particular fare is available.
As in, for instance: "Bucket U = available up until 3 days prior to departure"?
In that case it will be set to "U0" on Expertflyer three days prior, won't it?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:37 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Well there goes the myth of "basic is needed to compete with LCCs". Which LCC flies across the Pacific? Other than Air Canada, of course.
Hong Kong Airlines? Basically all airlines from a China? Plus, CX currently has capacity problem and is bleeding a lot of money. They are selling the YVR-HKG route at crazy low prices, including their J cabin.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by altalk08
Is it possible that AC categorically prevents booking standard economy tickets on very short-notice, i.e. 1-3 days prior to departure? I've just tried a couple of routes from Germany to Canada and Chile and surprisingly, despite Expertflyer showing plenty of availability, the "Standard" option on Aircanada.com has been greyed out every time. Is AC steering people towards more expensive tickets for short-notice flights?
Short simplified answer: yes, and most airlines do this. To book tickets that map to the "Standard" branded fare class is often going to require an advance purchase of 3 or 7 days.

You also need to have "Standard" class seats available on the flights you want to take. The airline only makes a certain number of seats on each flight available at or below a given fare level.
altalk08 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

Hong Kong Airlines? Basically all airlines from a China? Plus, CX currently has capacity problem and is bleeding a lot of money. They are selling the YVR-HKG route at crazy low prices, including their J cabin.
Low price is not the same thing as low cost. All the airlines you referenced are full service and do not have equivalent fare types to "basic economy" on AC.
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by eigenvector; Feb 19, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:09 pm
5mm
Suspended

Low price is not the same thing as low cost. All the airlines you referenced are full service and do not have equivalent fare types to "basic economy" on AC.
Yes they do, justed they are called different names, but the product is the same as AC.
pitz likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
Yes they do, justed they are called different names, but the product is the same as AC.
BS. I checked CX, HX, MU, and CA and none of them offer a completely non-changeable hand baggage only fare ex-YVR. I stopped searching after 4 airlines because that was enough to determine you have no idea what you're talking about.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:31 pm
5mm
Suspended

BS. I checked CX, HX, MU, and CA and none of them offer a completely non-changeable hand baggage only fare ex-YVR. I stopped searching after 4 airlines because that was enough to determine you have no idea what you're talking about.

You do know CX discounts are not available online and Chinese airlines charge differently for NA to Asia? You should not call BS if you don’t know what you are talking about. Looking online, does not give you answer like many people think on FT. Quick examples, my Jan flight on CX to HKG. CX J ticket online was $7000 CDN. One quick call to Hong Kong, got ticket for $3900.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

You do know CX discounts are not available online and Chinese airlines charge differently for NA to Asia? You should not call BS if you don’t know what you are talking about. Looking online, does not give you answer like many people think on FT. Quick examples, my Jan flight on CX to HKG. CX J ticket online was $7000 CDN. One quick call to Hong Kong, got ticket for $3900.
Your example has nothing to do with what we are talking about.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:36 pm

Different airlines treat BE fares differently, particularly for their dime a dozen elites. For instance, I'm travelling in June on UA's brand-new TATL BE fare and have the following benefits as UA Gold:
  • 3 Checked Bags of up to 70 lbs each
  • Complimentary E+ seat assignment at booking (whilst the loophole exists)
  • Zone 1 boarding and the usual priority benefits
  • Lounge Access
  • 50% milage accrual
Meanwhile other airlines, namely AC and LH want to make the experience as miserable as possible for the BE Elite flyer by limiting or even outright prohibiting bag allowance depending on the itinerary and preventing seat assignments altogether! Which begs the question, why should I remain loyal to the airline/alliance if I can't use my benefits with them?! If I'm on the status treadmill requiring me to fly x number of miles and fork of $X to the airline, clearly they shouldn't be nickel and dimming me on the rare occasions that need a rock bottom flight out.

All that being said, I'll be extremely worried the second AC or the other * partners implement Economy Basic on TPAC routes. It's one thing to make the experience miserable on a short-haul TATL flight, it's a whole other to make the experience miserable on an 18 hour long haul TPAC flight!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:20 am

If an airline makes a fare ineligible for any FF benefits, they are effectively saying "if you are in the market for this kind of fare, we do not care about your loyalty". Which is entirely their prerogative to say. Travellers can then be free to choose the lowest fare without the psychological encumbrance of worrying about mileage accrual.

UA has made certain business decisions about who they want to target with their FF program and AC has made different ones. Remember AC dropped accrual on the lowest fares domestically to 25% quite some time ago. Going from 25% to 0% isn't much of a leap.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

I completed a AC transatlantic basic economy flight to London. Overall, no big difference from AC Standard/Tango economy as E75K:
  • 3 Checked Bags
  • Zone 2 boarding
  • Lounge Access
  • 25 % Miles (vs 50% for Standard)
  • Seat selection at check-in or paid advance

On the other hand, restrictions are,
  • No chance of change/cancel (200 CAD for Standard vs No possibility )
  • No chance of e-upgrade (** I am not sure if upgrade from Standard will sustain, I won't take as far as co-payment exists )

Considering the price difference, it is not a bad option at least for me.
As for the upgrade, e-upgrade is not applicable but surprisingly I received voluntary upgrade in domestic part legs for each

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Different airlines treat BE fares differently, particularly for their dime a dozen elites. For instance, I'm travelling in June on UA's brand-new TATL BE fare and have the following benefits as UA Gold:
  • 3 Checked Bags of up to 70 lbs each
  • Complimentary E+ seat assignment at booking (whilst the loophole exists)
  • Zone 1 boarding and the usual priority benefits
  • Lounge Access
  • 50% milage accrual
Meanwhile other airlines, namely AC and LH want to make the experience as miserable as possible for the BE Elite flyer by limiting or even outright prohibiting bag allowance depending on the itinerary and preventing seat assignments altogether! Which begs the question, why should I remain loyal to the airline/alliance if I can't use my benefits with them?! If I'm on the status treadmill requiring me to fly x number of miles and fork of $X to the airline, clearly they shouldn't be nickel and dimming me on the rare occasions that need a rock bottom flight out.

All that being said, I'll be extremely worried the second AC or the other * partners implement Economy Basic on TPAC routes. It's one thing to make the experience miserable on a short-haul TATL flight, it's a whole other to make the experience miserable on an 18 hour long haul TPAC flight!

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.