Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94

Yeah it seems Tango is often available right up to flight dates now. Depending upon loads. Not sure if that good or bad.
I think it's bad because in the past, comparably priced last minute fares like this were at least low-mid Flex and would yield 100% AQM, free checked bag, etc. Now it's the virtually the same price for a lousy Tango fare that should really be Flex.
jc94 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by newfbc
I was on a Qantas flight the other day, SYD to MEL.. ~90 minutes, cost $160. Free seat selection, free headsets, free first checked bag, free in flight wifi, and dinner served! Got me thinking how sh*t*y Air Canada and WestJet are.. and here AC gets even worse!

Ron.
QF is fantastic, as long you don't want to change your flight.

There is no same day change unless you buy a much more expensive ticket. That is the only downside
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one thing missing here: no carryons.

Would help a good deal with OTP and the overall boarding experience. In addition to AC cash flow.

And making the flying experience even worse.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Just had my first experience with Basic Economy in the booking process. Was looking at a YEG-YVR trip in September, and a couple of the flights during the day had BE available. Decided to follow the booking process. AC has made it pretty clear that there is a difference in this fare. When you select Basic Economy, there is an additional page that loads outlining the differences between this and Tango with all the restrictions. You then have to Accept the Basic Economy or can choose to upgrade to Tango at that time.

It's definitely included in the Branded Fares. The fare I selected ended up being a K fare labelled Economy(K). There's also Tango K available on this flight.

What was interesting was the price, because I've been monitoring this for a few weeks. It's a bit of a split. Tango (K) was $170 on this route and time a few weeks ago. It's now $211 for Tango K while Basic Economy K is $111. However, to be fair, the lowest fare on WS for this day and route is now $211 as well. So, not sure if it's just revenue management playing to the competitor that makes the price adjustment.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by YEGTigger
Just had my first experience with Basic Economy in the booking process. Was looking at a YEG-YVR trip in September, and a couple of the flights during the day had BE available. Decided to follow the booking process. AC has made it pretty clear that there is a difference in this fare. When you select Basic Economy, there is an additional page that loads outlining the differences between this and Tango with all the restrictions. You then have to Accept the Basic Economy or can choose to upgrade to Tango at that time.

It's definitely included in the Branded Fares. The fare I selected ended up being a K fare labelled Economy(K). There's also Tango K available on this flight.

What was interesting was the price, because I've been monitoring this for a few weeks. It's a bit of a split. Tango (K) was $170 on this route and time a few weeks ago. It's now $211 for Tango K while Basic Economy K is $111. However, to be fair, the lowest fare on WS for this day and route is now $211 as well. So, not sure if it's just revenue management playing to the competitor that makes the price adjustment.

That is a huge difference in price and makes it more attractive especially for short-haul trips.
However- for altitude members isn't there an option to choose a minimum mile reward for short haul flights in Tango... does this basic economy fare class mean that even those 250miles or whatever it is are lost??

That price difference is huge though, I wonder if that difference (50% cheaper) applies to TPAC/TATL flights.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
That is a huge difference in price and makes it more attractive especially for short-haul trips.
However- for altitude members isn't there an option to choose a minimum mile reward for short haul flights in Tango... does this basic economy fare class mean that even those 250miles or whatever it is are lost??

That price difference is huge though, I wonder if that difference (50% cheaper) applies to TPAC/TATL flights.
Thanks for the info to YEGTigger.
I just found and tried on my phone though and there are no clear details shown up to the enter details page anyway.

For now, BE is only domestic flights. TPAC/TATL will I imagine remain BE free until other carriers start doing it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Why anybody would choose Tango over these fares is beyond me. I support BE. What's the point of paying more for a pathetic 25% accrual? Or a fare that has $200 change fees anyways? These fares would look poor if AC didn't gut Tango to the bone. Now they actually look decent in comparison, ironically enough.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by keitherson
Why anybody would choose Tango over these fares is beyond me. I support BE. What's the point of paying more for a pathetic 25% accrual? Or a fare that has $200 change fees anyways? These fares would look poor if AC didn't gut Tango to the bone. Now they actually look decent in comparison, ironically enough.
Depending on where I'm flying, I agree. My status with AC is going to rapidly fall off, so I don't care as much who I fly. If YEG-YVR is $111 o/w in Basic Economy, and I'm flying with just a personal item that fits under the seat worst case, then I'm going Basic Economy. I no longer care about the miles and the change fee from Tango is more than my BE fare in this case. I might bite on it.
Diabeetus and quantumofforce like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by keitherson
Segments as well- Tango still earns 1 AQS per flight which is how many earn status- myself included.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Back of the bus

They are probably deploying it on matching times / routes that Flair Air is running. Flair is running a $69 one way YEG-YVR.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:50 pm
F 1

This whole new thing throws a wrench in booking via Google Flights. Prior to BE, you'd click from Google Flights directly to the screen where the chosen flights are prepopulated, then all you have to do is review the fare details and proceed to booking. Now, from Google Flights, you land essentially one screen prior where you have to choose from the various fares offered. I assume that's to allow for the various warning and disclaimers to pop up. It could make booking various mileage/segment runs directly from Google Flights a lot trickier.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by F 1
This whole new thing throws a wrench in booking via Google Flights. Prior to BE, you'd click from Google Flights directly to the screen where the chosen flights are prepopulated, then all you have to do is review the fare details and proceed to booking. Now, from Google Flights, you land essentially one screen prior where you have to choose from the various fares offered. I assume that's to allow for the various warning and disclaimers to pop up. It could make booking various mileage/segment runs directly from Google Flights a lot trickier.
The Matrix power-tools script frequently breaks when AC updates their website and dump you into either the first page, or somewhere in the search process. I don't know what other airlines do, but it has not occurred to AC to publish & maintain a stable external interface to the public website into booking flights.

Google has some smart people. It'll get fixed.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Current Titanium, AC SE, x-SPG fanatic
Originally Posted by marke190
Segments as well- Tango still earns 1 AQS per flight which is how many earn status- myself included.
Agreed. For someone like me who does a lot of short haul, its easier to play the segment game than it is to worry about miles....so Tango is still works.

With our company policy of "pick the most logical fare" I might be SOL ....that means sharing more with WS (yuk) and loosing status all together in 2019.

ohh the horror
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE
Here we go! WS is joining the parade:

WestJet is the Latest Carrier to Introduce Basic Economy Airfares
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jasdou
I'm actually surprised that they didn't lead the parade in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.