Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
We've not seen the exact fare rules yet. Basic Economy may only be available for purchase 14+ days out. If that's the case, I won't even see the option for my business travel.

My corporate policy is "lowest logical fare". I latch on to that middle word with great relish. My practical policy, when its not internal (that is, when it will be passed onto a customer) is "what I'd do with my own money", which usually is low-flex.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Yes I do a ton of webex. But nothing beats human interaction, isn’t something like 55% of communication non verbal? Video conferencing doesn’t cut it.

Ah yes, logical fare. You can fly me AC direct and I’m out 4 hours. Or you can pay $200 less and lose me for 8 hours on two flights. Neither of which I’m working on with my 30” leg room and shared (if operable) power port.

Still missing details on this Economy Basic purchase limitations (14 days or what), fare class, elite benefits ignored or not (MLL passes?) and so on.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think it is a mixed bag. I also love join.me. What I have noticed over the last couple of years, is as the technology improves there are more people working from home. That is step one. Once you have more people working from home, step two in the evolution is they don't need to be in the same city anymore. It is a completely different dynamic. It probably is creating as much new travel as it is displacing.
speaking of working from home, today's work was great, had lunch with the little one, watched the women's gold medal game... from the corner of my eye as I worked real hard.
jc94 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
So what happens if I buy BE, board late and my carry on doesn’t fit? AC will check it, for free it appears but what if there’s a laptop or other things not allowed in checked baggage in there?

The one time I’ve had this, ignoring sky check (when laptop and camera did both go) I had a bag in my roller so pulled laptop and camera out into that. Not everyone has a spare bag especially if going somewhere for just the day.
How is this any different from what happens today? Nearly every AC flight I'm ever on has full bins and travellers forced to check their carry on.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by drgmobile
How is this any different from what happens today? Nearly every AC flight I'm ever on has full bins and travellers forced to check their carry on.
It’snot really, but I’m still curious as the chance of it occurring increases, for me, if I buy BE.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by AC681
There are 5 ex-Sky Regional and 5 ex-Republic Q400s, 9 of them have small overhead bins, one (498) has the larger bins.

The ex-Sky Regional planes are 74 seats with dark blue seats morm like tge Dash 8 100/300. The ex-republic planes are 78 seats with a slightly different dark blue seat simalar to the Q400s (no coat hooks on the side though )
Sorry. A gate agent at YQG said they came from UA and I didn't bother to verify.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Can AC make it so that all *G and Altitude status benefits are nullified when flying on a BE fare? Is this how UA does it?
My free bag as *G is the one and only reason to take AC over PD. Get rid of that and I'll probably do 10-15 fewer AC flights per year. PD has better legroom, nicer crew, tasty snacks, and a better connecting experience. Plus AC's evening flights to YQT are reliably unreliable, so even with the operational challenges at YTZ I'm still more likely to get home on time with PD. There's nothing quite like waiting to board AC8530 (05:00 departure) and watching the previous evening's AC8547 (scheduled arrival of 01:19) just pulling into the gate.

Cranky's been a big fan of AC's branded fare experience for years. I understand his rationale, I've just never agreed with his enthusiasm. The change fees with Tango are already so high and the mileage earning so low that it isn't much different from Basic, and the price difference from Tango to Flex almost never seems justified for the few extra miles I'd earn. Of course, I travel on my own dime, rarely make changes, and haven't played the e-Up lotto since leaving AP, so I'm probably not the target market for Flex and Latitude anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:23 pm

South of the border, the success of basic economy is judged buy how many avoid it.

Make basic economy sound so unattractive that buying up is the lesser of the evils.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The problem is going to be these passengers are in the last boarding group. Do you want agents trying to process credit card transactions at that point in the process. As a passenger I would rather they get the aircraft door closed and up and away as quickly as possible.
Agreed with this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
South of the border, the success of basic economy is judged buy how many avoid it.

Make basic economy sound so unattractive that buying up is the lesser of the evils.
South of the border there are airlines with websites that make it easy to avoid buying it in error. Do we suspect AC will ensure their website has the same quality?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is typical. Just book all flights a week out
There is a Tango M fare published on YVR-YYZ with no advance purchase requirement. Don't assume that strategy will work. It already doesn't guarantee Flex.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
My corporate policy is "lowest logical fare". I latch on to that middle word with great relish. My practical policy, when its not internal (that is, when it will be passed onto a customer) is "what I'd do with my own money", which usually is low-flex.
I've wondered about that too. "With my own money", I always find the cheapest way to sit in J. Sometimes that's Flex/PY+eUps, sometimes it's paid J, sometimes it's an LMU. But I doubt that argument would make any beancounters happy.

"Logical" has different meanings to different people. If I have enough room to work (15 inch MacBook Pro means Y is a non-starter), the upfare to J starts to look really cheap compared to my average "hourly" rate.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"Logical" has different meanings to different people.
Indeed it does. And as I said in another thread, if I was obligated to fly buckets that gave me no status next year and thus in the back, I'd question how long I could sustain 10-20 hrs/wk in airports or metal tubes.

Its not quitting tomorrow, but it isn't long.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I was on a Qantas flight the other day, SYD to MEL.. ~90 minutes, cost $160. Free seat selection, free headsets, free first checked bag, free in flight wifi, and dinner served! Got me thinking how sh*t*y Air Canada and WestJet are.. and here AC gets even worse!

Ron.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Arcanum
The change fees with Tango are already so high
Not saying that your opinion should change, but don't forget about some of the recent changes to change fees, dependent on how far out the changes are made. The further out, the lower the fees.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There is a Tango M fare published on YVR-YYZ with no advance purchase requirement. Don't assume that strategy will work. It already doesn't guarantee Flex.
Yeah it seems Tango is often available right up to flight dates now. Depending upon loads. Not sure if that good or bad.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry

Yeah it seems Tango is often available right up to flight dates now. Depending upon loads. Not sure if that good or bad.
Just checked YVR-YYZ, leaving this afternoon, returning tomorrow.

Lots of Tango options.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.