Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Agree this fare is likely to just appear on routes where the new LCCs fly.
Of course, and rouge will just be for leisure routes
flybit likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
It's written that Elite benefits are still there with this fare.
Well, no eupgrade, no free seat selection, but still MLL and zone 1/2 boarding. Not sure about bags.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by jc94
Yes I mentioned this Has anyone noticed from the extra details page is ALSO means no LMUs or Bid offers ...
If they can make an extra dollar upselling someone in BE with a Bid or LMU, I'm sure they'll find a way.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think this is trying to solve a problem that will be going away. The new MAX aircraft how new fancy bins where the bags can go on their sides. As older aircraft disappear this problem will disapear.
Clearly you are not familiar with the ex-UA Q400s AC has been adding and their miniature overhead bins. Not everyone gets to fly on mainline planes.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Clearly you are not familiar with the ex-UA Q400s AC has been adding and their miniature overhead bins. Not everyone gets to fly on mainline planes.
I thought these were ex-Sky Regional Q400s. Huh.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think this is trying to solve a problem that will be going away. The new MAX aircraft how new fancy bins where the bags can go on their sides. As older aircraft disappear this problem will disapear.
The problem that is not going away is "How can we make people pay to check a bag instead of carrying it on?" This fare class solves this problem.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
I thought these were ex-Sky Regional Q400s. Huh.
There are 5 ex-Sky Regional and 5 ex-Republic Q400s, 9 of them have small overhead bins, one (498) has the larger bins.

The ex-Sky Regional planes are 74 seats with dark blue seats morm like tge Dash 8 100/300. The ex-republic planes are 78 seats with a slightly different dark blue seat simalar to the Q400s (no coat hooks on the side though )
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not surprised at all by this, at least within Canada due to Swoop / Flair etc.

Given that these flights don't accrue AQMs / AQDs, then AC should let Altitude members use their benefits on these fares since to get status you really need to avoid them.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Note bits "Why Air Canada’s basic economy isn’t as big of a deal as in the US"
and the part "... if Air Canada gets too aggressive with the rollout..."

Air Canada Introduces Basic Economy Fares - One Mile at a Time

Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
The only silver lining for me in this race to the bottom is that the no changes / no refunds ever in basic economy or economy basic or whatever they're calling it means I can continue to justify a higher booking class for all work travel.

And for personal travel... well, I'll fly something else if this serves only to jack up all prices instead of lowering basic tango.
RatherBeInYOW and canopus27 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by meagicano
The only silver lining for me in this race to the bottom is that the no changes / no refunds ever in basic economy or economy basic or whatever they're calling it means I can continue to justify a higher booking class for all work travel.
Won't work for me. The beancounters in accounting will calculate that even if 1 out of 8 tickets is thrown away completely we'll still be ahead of the game with these fares and will tell me to book them.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
This roll out may unintentionally hurt their bottom line. Lowest fare policy in many companies in the end wins. AC might be clever for their own good in thinking they can get more more when they could actually get less.

Swoop confirmed that it does not honor any WJ Gold benefit on Swoop flights. AC might do the same thing.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Can AC make it so that all *G and Altitude status benefits are nullified when flying on a BE fare? Is this how UA does it?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
This roll out may unintentionally hurt their bottom line. Lowest fare policy in many companies in the end wins. AC might be clever for their own good in thinking they can get more more when they could actually get less.

Swoop confirmed that it does not honor any WJ Gold benefit on Swoop flights. AC might do the same thing.
I think one of two things is going on here: 1) AC has decided that business travellers are such a small percentage that they just don't really matter any more in the age of 95% full flights; 2) AC really doesn't understand at all how businesses buy tickets and has no idea how bad an idea this is.

Either way, I don't see a third alternative. AC is forcing the vast majority of business travellers to buy cheaper fares (between BE and branded fares) than they have in the past. They are either doing this consciously (and think the savings in their loyalty program will more than compensate for the revenue losses -- which I have a hard time believing) or they don't appreciate the consequences of their actions for business travellers.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Arcanum
If they can make an extra dollar upselling someone in BE with a Bid or LMU, I'm sure they'll find a way.

I thought they from another US airlines and new built. Either way, they should be sky check. Alaska does skycheck. Why AC does not is beyond me.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by gglave
The problem that is not going away is "How can we make people pay to check a bag instead of carrying it on?" This fare class solves this problem.
The problem is going to be these passengers are in the last boarding group. Do you want agents trying to process credit card transactions at that point in the process. As a passenger I would rather they get the aircraft door closed and up and away as quickly as possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.