Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

This cannot be real, https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html I don't like it one bit.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
No AQM and no standby/changes at all. Lol forget that.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
This cannot be real, https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html I don't like it one bit.
Ah so it’s begun, 0% AQM and presumably no segment count either. Higher price for seat selection and no change of SDC even for a cost.

Seems to maintain same prices for baggage and I don’t see mention of carry on restrictions ala UA though.

I’m going to assume this also blocks any chance of an eUp too. Presumably there is a press release or did AC IT his the release button in error (again).

Last edited by jc94; Feb 20, 2018 at 9:37 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE
Well, I hate to say it, but I called it.

Will AC follow UA's lead and introduce Basic Economy?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Looooool

The interesting thing is that if they introduce this as a branded fare (K...BE, M....BE) they're incentivizing frequent flyers moving away from AP or whatever loyalty program will exist in 2020. UA doesn't care if you have M FL/TG. Both are credited equally.

And from what I can tell, if I fly 1-2 times a year, what's the difference between BE, TG, and FL other than price? This is just an excuse for AC to charge more and deliver less.

But I'm happy to be proven wrong

Last edited by pewpew; Feb 20, 2018 at 9:27 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:24 am

Zone 6 boarding?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
At least you can pay to select a seat... unlike UA.

But who am I kidding, the people who buy these wouldn't pay anyways and would just complain that they're left with the middle seat between two land-whales. LOL
HampsteadHeath likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Ughs. No AQM means no AQS, correct? My 60+ "lowest bookable fare" annual flights are about to become much more unpleasant.
cooleddie likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
My guess is all fares will go up over the short term and Basic Economy will end up being charged at the current Tango rates.

Ancillary fees generated $1B in revenue last year, so looks like they are looking to increase that number.

Could be ok for the not-frequent traveler, though I believe they will end up just paying the same as current Tango but get less included.

Just more confusion for the masses, especially with the recent branded fare changes.
YYZ_TVGuy, ffsim and capedreamer like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Stupid fares for stupid people. Some will buy it, and then realize they will spend more for luggage, seat selection, etc.

Seriously. You should have to be able to pass an IQ test to fly.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Stupid fares for by stupid people.

​​​​​...
Seriously. You should not have to be able to pass an IQ test to fly.
FTFY
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
No upgrade at all as well
Details are here
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...omy-basic.html
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
My guess is all fares will go up over the short term and Basic Economy will end up being charged at the current Tango rates.

Ancillary fees generated $1B in revenue last year, so looks like they are looking to increase that number.

Could be ok for the not-frequent traveler, though I believe they will end up just paying the same as current Tango but get less included.

Just more confusion for the masses, especially with the recent branded fare changes.
I can’t see any fares on AC yet (or a press release) but am 99% sure than my $185 YYZ ORD Tango flight will become $185 (or more) for EB and significantly more for Tango and at the cost of Flex I may as well buy P.

Or I can spend $204 on taxes with AP. Or I can go AA and pay $35 on Avios. In J.

Haven’t been to T3 since 2015. I don’t see myself darkening T1s door more than once in 2018.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
No upgrade at all as well
Details are here
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...omy-basic.html
Thanks for the release details. Waiting for CBC to pick it up. I would like your post but I can’t like something containing details about no “Access” to upgrades. Not that paying from Tango has ever appealed to me.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by jc94

I can’t see any fares on AC yet (or a press release) but am 99% sure than my $185 YYZ ORD Tango flight will become $185 (or more) for EB and significantly more for Tango and at the cost of Flex I may as well buy P.

Or I can spend $204 on taxes with AP. Or I can go AA and pay $35 on Avios. In J.

Haven’t been to T3 since 2015. I don’t see myself darkening T1s door more than once in 2018.
For now you're safe. "Now available on select routes and flights within Canada"

My guess is these fares will be only on Swoop/New Leaf Flair routes.
WR Cage likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Feb 20, 2018 at 9:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.