FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1894882-introducing-air-canada-basic-economy.html)

lcohen999 Feb 20, 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 29438291)

I can’t see any fares on AC yet (or a press release) but am 99% sure than my $185 YYZ ORD Tango flight will become $185 (or more) for EB and significantly more for Tango and at the cost of Flex I may as well buy P.

Or I can spend $204 on taxes with AP. Or I can go AA and pay $35 on Avios. In J.

Haven’t been to T3 since 2015. I don’t see myself darkening T1s door more than once in 2018.

That is my concern.

I don't care if they want to bring out a basic economy other than to see more CBC articles how AC didn't help Person X because they purchased the cheapest fare, blah blah

However, if this pushes prices up, that will be frustrating

reminds me of when they introduced Tango on TPACS. Made a SYD go from $2000-$2500 to $4,500 in flex

trek604 Feb 20, 2018 9:43 am

What about AQD? If the company only spends on lowest-fare, I wonder if these will count towards the annual spend? If not, quite a few people, including myself would be royally screwed.

jc94 Feb 20, 2018 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 29438301)
For now you're safe. "Now available on select routes and flights within Canada"

My guess is these fares will be only on Swoop/New Leaf routes.

And yet the release says up to 50% on Tango and the small print details US. The same release also says Basic Economy twice instead of Tango of course so it’s clearly flawed in many ways.

I did check YYZ YEG too but I guess that’s not a Swoop route. And while they don’t block carry on at the best it’ll be guaranteed Z5.

I wonder if you can pay for a preferred seat. At great cost.

canopus27 Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am

In the Skift interview with Mark Nasr (AC’s VP for loyalty and e-commerce) that was published less than a month ago, he stated:

Skift: What do customers tell you they want from a loyalty program?

Nasr: One of them is the ease of doing business with a program, understanding a program. Many of these programs have become incredibly complex.
Now, with the introduction of Economy Basic, AC has the following fare classes:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...82ca9f4160.png

... and of course, that is the simple view. The branded fare fiasco adds additional complexity, making it even harder to ensure that you're getting the right fare brand.

Good job, AC. Way to follow Mark's guidance.

smallmj Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am

If Tango prices remain the same and Basic Economy is less, then I am all for it.

As if that's going to happen...

gokeeper Feb 20, 2018 10:15 am

Did a few search and seems AC has not start selling BE fares, curious which booking code they will use, UA uses N which is occupied by discount PE on AC.

InTheAirGuy Feb 20, 2018 10:16 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 29438269)
FTFY

No, I meant what I said.

We will have people without a brain who will buy these "low" fares. Then they will pay extra for a seat, for luggage, and one day, a fee to probably call a 1-800 number with a question.

Then, when they see the total, they might realize they paid more than they would have if they bought another fare class. And so they will whine and complain, etc.

nave888 Feb 20, 2018 10:23 am

Wow. AC really likes to overcomplicate things. I like how Tango was supposed to be the "restricted Y" fare, but now its a more flexible Y fare, but not "flex."

At this rate, navigating AC's fares will become a full time job. I already have to call my corporate TA whenever I book because I don't want to end up in a "low flex" fare and be stuck with a massive co pay on a domestic eup.

Jebby_ca Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 29438451)
Did a few search and seems AC has not start selling BE fares, curious which booking code they will use, UA uses N which is occupied by discount PE on AC.

No need for Air Canada to use specific booking/fare codes. With the Branded Fares they've introduced, Economy Basic fares can span the entire alphabet if they wish.

gglave Feb 20, 2018 10:36 am

I assume this is in response to Canada Jetlines, FlyToo and Swoop. Allows Air Canada to offer a similar product to those carriers - Particularly once they start flying Rouge narrowbodies between major Canadian city-pairs.

ffsim Feb 20, 2018 10:38 am

It looks like they’re trying a bit of a hybrid approach compared to what we’ve seen in the US. AC is allowing a carry-on and permitting advanced seat selection for a fee. I guess it’s “better” :rolleyes:

gokeeper Feb 20, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 29438506)
No need for Air Canada to use specific booking/fare codes. With the Branded Fares they've introduced, Economy Basic fares can span the entire alphabet if they wish.

I believe this won't be the case, it will be a disaster for corp travel portal users as well as travel agents. Also BE won't earn any AQM make it impossible to share fare codes with other fare types.

jc94 Feb 20, 2018 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 29438556)
It looks like they’re trying a bit of a hybrid approach compared to what we’ve seen in the US. AC is allowing a carry-on and offering advanced seat selection. I guess it’s “better” :rolleyes:

To be clear they aren't offering advanced seat selection, they're offering to let you buy it at twice the price of Tango advanced seat selection.
I wonder if seat selection is free at T-24.
I also wonder if SE will get free selection like with Tango. I doubt it.

SKYEG Feb 20, 2018 10:59 am

Wowwwwwwwwwww

Jebby_ca Feb 20, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 29438560)
I believe this won't be the case, it will be a disaster for corp travel portal users as well as travel agents. Also BE won't earn any AQM make it impossible to share fare codes with other fare types.

Branded fares have already been a disaster for my corp travel portal. My corp portal is restricted to showing FLEX and LATITUDE fares only. However, if low FLEX fares are available, my portal only shows LATITUDE and I have to call in.

I don't see why this would make it impossible to share fare codes with other fare types. With the same fare code, AC is already able to determine how many AQMs and AQDs you receive. And only the fare basis (TANGO / FLEX) shows up in your Altitude dashboard. It'd be very easy for AC to say WxxxBasic earns 0 AQM, 0 AQD, 0 AQS.