Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
So, does this mean that we can't trust AC reservation centre agents to know the difference when a customer asks for Standard and not Basic?
This means call centre status quo.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
This means call centre status quo.
You could also remove the 2nd half of @24left's quote there and have it make sense.

I suspect this is yet another reason changing the wording from "Tango" to "Standard" sucks. But perhaps me implying that AC staff get confused between a "Standard fare" and a "standard fare class" is too subtle.

Defining your request as "the fare class that means I get AQM and a checked bag (regardless of status)" may help. Although that doesn't fix the underlying issue.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
You could also remove the 2nd half of @24left's quote there and have it make sense.

I suspect this is yet another reason changing the wording from "Tango" to "Standard" sucks. But perhaps me implying that AC staff get confused between a "Standard fare" and a "standard fare class" is too subtle.

Defining your request as "the fare class that means I get AQM and a checked bag (regardless of status)" may help. Although that doesn't fix the underlying issue.
I'll just ask them to spell out the fare basis over the phone the next time I call in to book. Of course, this doesn't stop them from doing something (that I can't see) before or after I hang up.
canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Does anyone have experience trying to credit AC basic economy to other programs like TK? I've noted (like others have here) that the fare bucket appears to be K for both Basic Economy and Standard Economy on some TATL flights, and of course, if one were earning on AC, the accrual rate is lower for basic economy. But on TK (and presumably other programs), the only differentiating factor appears to be the class and fare bucket. On the face of it, K appears to be K. But it seems somewhat surprising that Basic Economy and Standard Economy would credit the same on TK.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeaSouper
Does anyone have experience trying to credit AC basic economy to other programs like TK? I've noted (like others have here) that the fare bucket appears to be K for both Basic Economy and Standard Economy on some TATL flights, and of course, if one were earning on AC, the accrual rate is lower for basic economy. But on TK (and presumably other programs), the only differentiating factor appears to be the class and fare bucket. On the face of it, K appears to be K. But it seems somewhat surprising that Basic Economy and Standard Economy would credit the same on TK.
There have been reports in this forum of "incorrect" crediting to other programs (for better or worse) because of this.

The Basic (K) and Standard (K) [there's also a Flex (K)] stem from Branded Fares; AC changes booking classes/fare classes for Tango & Flex
tcook052 and PeaSouper like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
I credited an AC Basic Economy fare to OZ last month and got 50%, just as I would with Standard. I think it was A fare code.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:29 pm

Adios érrCanada!

Spotted this on the home page whilst managing a flight pass reservation:

Looks like Economy Basic has finally crept into TPACs ;( . Here's to hoping NH and UA have the decency not to jack up fares the way AC is doing now!

-James
Old May 13, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
YVR-HKG showing basic economy seat chart starting mid-August RIP
Old May 14, 2019, 7:31 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Spotted this on the home page whilst managing a flight pass reservation:

Looks like Economy Basic has finally crept into TPACs ;( . Here's to hoping NH and UA have the decency not to jack up fares the way AC is doing now!

-James
Your going to find that all flights will have basic economy sooner than later. Plus, this will be for almost every airline in the world that issues points. I think airlines now know low end pax fill seats, but are not profitable.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: hahaha
I'm flying to YOW in basic economy and connecting via YUL. I'm on the first YUL YOW flight of the day in the timetable excerpt here. I have a 43 minute connection at YUL (MCT is 40 min)

Thing is, a friend freed up her availability at around noon in Ottawa, and it'd be awesome if I can meet her. If I misconnect at YUL and AC rebooks me, does being basic economy mean I lose some clout asking them to fly me to YYZ and then to YOW in order to make it downtown by noon? Long shot question, but any advice is appreciated.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fricking FT quote editor is farting on me
@asovse1

If it's IRROPs for the reason, then you have some flexibility regardless of fare paid.
YMMV depending on the agent you speak to, but I have been able to reroute something similar to your ask in the past given the gap between the morning and afternoon YULYOW flights. The only caveat with that is that I was SE on a Tango fare (before it was renamed to Standard) at the time and I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by asovse1
I'm flying to YOW in basic economy and connecting via YUL. I'm on the first YUL YOW flight of the day in the timetable excerpt here. I have a 43 minute connection at YUL (MCT is 40 min)

Thing is, a friend freed up her availability at around noon in Ottawa, and it'd be awesome if I can meet her. If I misconnect at YUL and AC rebooks me, does being basic economy mean I lose some clout asking them to fly me to YYZ and then to YOW in order to make it downtown by noon? Long shot question, but any advice is appreciated.
Its possible, but there are sufficiently frequent flights in that triangle that going the long way is quite unlikely to be the faster way on any given day.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: hahaha
Fricking FT quote editor is farting on me
Yeah I saw your original edit, I'm not sure why my pic of the scheds aren't loading either. It's intermittent

YMMV depending on the agent you speak to, but I have been able to reroute something similar to your ask in the past given the gap between the morning and afternoon YULYOW flights.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Its possible, but there are sufficiently frequent flights in that triangle that going the long way is quite unlikely to be the faster way on any given day.
I'll have to take my chances with the desk then, they'll see if I can beat the 7h20 minute gap between the only morning and first afternoon flight! Thanks to you both!
Old May 22, 2019, 6:36 am

Apparently domestic basic fares are upgradeable?
Is this new? Thought it wasn't the case.
Anyone tried it?

Old May 22, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Apparently domestic basic fares are upgradeable?
Is this new? Thought it wasn't the case.
Anyone tried it?

It seems that AC IT have screwed up again. Especially given it's < Standard co-pay. Given https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...omy-basic.html still shows Upgrades No access
I can't find the screenshot above either on the standard eUp listings page. Maybe it was a brief glitch as IT rolled something out after neglected to test it on a development environment. Assuming AC have one of those.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.