Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Air Canada Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou

I am looking at LIS for next summer vacations with the family and may well end up on TS. And that is despite trying to apply a 20% discount code and a $200 voucher on AC’s fare.
Well if you don't need the 20%, I'm sure I could find a use
Indiavictorcharlie likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well if you don't need the 20%, I'm sure I could find a use
Thanks for the kind offer, but I think I will work a bit harder to find another use! It will not go to waste!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:15 am

Flying on a Basic fare with status

I am still toying with various options for the family vacation next summer but I want to make sure I understand this whole Basic fare right. Let's assume my dates are set and I buy the tickets using my Amex Plat to get insurance, I don't see a lot of difference between Basic and Standard. Itinerary would be something like YQB-YYZ-LIS and LIS-YUL-YQB.

I won't get free seat selection on either of these fares but since we will be travelling with my daughter, I can call in to ask for seat assignments. With my status, I can check more bags than I want to carry. No possibilities to eUp on Basic, but I wouldn't do it anyway. Basic yields me a total of roughly 1,710 AQM and 2 AQS for the international segments plus some AQD (no idea how to quantify that). Standard would yield something like 3,719 AQM, 4 AQS plus AQD on all segments. If we value redeemable miles at 0.2 cpm, that is a difference in value of $40. Wife and daughter don't really accrue AQM or AQD anyway so this is only valuable to me.

Since I want to book the whole family on the same PNR, everyone has to be either Basic or Standard. For the dates I am looking at, the total difference is about $200 for the whole family between the two fares. I am tempted to go with Basic and spend the difference on a great meal in Portugal instead but am wary of any hidden catch with this fare.

Is that it? Am I missing anything?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I am still toying with various options for the family vacation next summer but I want to make sure I understand this whole Basic fare right. Let's assume my dates are set and I buy the tickets using my Amex Plat to get insurance, I don't see a lot of difference between Basic and Standard. Itinerary would be something like YQB-YYZ-LIS and LIS-YUL-YQB.

I won't get free seat selection on either of these fares but since we will be travelling with my daughter, I can call in to ask for seat assignments. With my status, I can check more bags than I want to carry. No possibilities to eUp on Basic, but I wouldn't do it anyway. Basic yields me a total of roughly 1,710 AQM and 2 AQS for the international segments plus some AQD (no idea how to quantify that). Standard would yield something like 3,719 AQM, 4 AQS plus AQD on all segments. If we value redeemable miles at 0.2 cpm, that is a difference in value of $40. Wife and daughter don't really accrue AQM or AQD anyway so this is only valuable to me.

Since I want to book the whole family on the same PNR, everyone has to be either Basic or Standard. For the dates I am looking at, the total difference is about $200 for the whole family between the two fares. I am tempted to go with Basic and spend the difference on a great meal in Portugal instead but am wary of any hidden catch with this fare.

Is that it? Am I missing anything?
Basic doesn’t give you AQM or AQS.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Basic doesn’t give you AQM or AQS.
That's true for domestic or transborder flights but according to AC.com, you can earn 25% Aeroplan Miles/Altitude Qualifying Miles on select flights between Canada and destinations over the Atlantic. I would assume AQS/AQD would also be credited but could be wrong.
jc94 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
That's true for domestic or transborder flights but according to AC.com, you can earn 25% Aeroplan Miles/Altitude Qualifying Miles on select flights between Canada and destinations over the Atlantic. I would assume AQS/AQD would also be credited but could be wrong.
Just to add my 2c about the AQS/AQM part - I flew LHR-YYZ recently in basic(was dreading it but it turned out ok-loads were light) and got credited 25% AQM and the 1 segment. AQD hasn't posted yet so no idea if that will come through. Already made SE so not too bothered about that but will update if it does post in case someone is interested in knowing for the future.
jasdou and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Can you buy all basic and then call in to upsale just your seat to Standard?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:58 pm

I didn’t know or forgot this. Clearly AC are leaving scope for a new Basic Lite fare. Because five Y classes is just not enough.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Prestige
No, everyone on the PNR needs to be the same.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Prestige

I have booked a couple of flights YYC/YEG -YVR on Basic and on this past Sunday I called in to ask about upgrade fare and was told no. Basic is basic its exactly that, no thrills, just basic! Its cheap for short hauls.

Would I do this for long hauls, nope! I rather choose my seat and get the AQS/AQD but that is me!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:44 am

Oh yes for the sake of what is normally just a few dollars I’ll likely take Standard. Doesn’t mean trips on OPM won’t leave me AQM free though.

Fortunately my next potential trip is showing Standard as the lowest available fare. I wonder if I can wait until only Flex is available
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
I'm looking at the following trip : LGA-YYZ-CDG-YUL-LGA where all is booked in K class through United.
But on the booking page of United it states BASIC economy and it's K class for UAL coded flights on AC metal. I don't know if it is K class for UA or AC. Will I earn AQS for every leg and AQD ?
AC states that flights over the atlantic do earn AQS AQD but it doesn't say which ones .. some help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by royal757
I'm looking at the following trip : LGA-YYZ-CDG-YUL-LGA where all is booked in K class through United.
But on the booking page of United it states BASIC economy and it's K class for UAL coded flights on AC metal. I don't know if it is K class for UA or AC. Will I earn AQS for every leg and AQD ?
AC states that flights over the atlantic do earn AQS AQD but it doesn't say which ones .. some help would be appreciated.
Long story short : treat it like basic economy across the board. Since December 11th, 2018 (a date that will live in infamy) UA and it's TATL JV partners, AC and LH have changed the rules on their light fares so that they mimic Economy Basic fares (i.e. no checked bags, no advanced seating, no upgrades/changes, reduced milage earning).

-James
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, status still works with a Basic fare.
does status eg elite35 gives you free baggage still? just booked yyz-lhr but the AC baggage calculator site is not very specific re BAsic Economy
Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by petaling108
does status eg elite35 gives you free baggage still? just booked yyz-lhr but the AC baggage calculator site is not very specific re BAsic Economy
Thanks
Yes, 3 bags.

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.