Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AP Mixed Cabin Awards TATL?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

AP Mixed Cabin Awards TATL?

What is up with the AP website search engine for TATL J awards? Every result I get for this autumn (first week of October) shows some bogus mixed itinerary award for 220K with economy for the over-water sector and some pitiful J intra-Europe connection or J intra-Canada feeder, regardless of origin in NA or destination in Europe. Where are the real over the pond J redemptions? They are even trying to sell crap mixed itineraries on bogus market fare awards. WTH? What did I miss? Do I need to go to UA or LM now to locate flights?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sp4294
What is up with the AP website search engine for TATL J awards? Every result I get for this autumn (first week of October) shows some bogus mixed itinerary award for 220K with economy for the over-water sector and some pitiful J intra-Europe connection or J intra-Canada feeder, regardless of origin in NA or destination in Europe. Where are the real over the pond J redemptions? They are even trying to sell crap mixed itineraries on bogus market fare awards. WTH? What did I miss? Do I need to go to UA or LM now to locate flights?
This could be related to the recent expensive-TATL threads... perhaps availability in J is actually scarce? Of course, nobody actually took a look at loads and just complained about high prices.

What is up with TATL fares in mid March?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ts-2018-a.html
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC 75K
If you tell us where you're going and when, you might actually get some help in finding some options.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
If you tell us where you're going and when, you might actually get some help in finding some options.
I'm looking for west coast to EDI in first week of October and back on 8th
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage
What I dont understand is how I searched the aeroplan website for a business class ticket yyz - yeg. I had no issue getting a direct J flight on the outbound. However when I attempted to book my return, the only option available were flight with a connection in Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, etc. The short leg(under 1 hour) would be in J, and the transcontinental portion would be in economy. I get the full J class charge but only 1 hour in J and 4 in economy. Can anyone explain how one can get around this.?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by chauffeurboy
What I dont understand is how I searched the aeroplan website for a business class ticket yyz - yeg. I had no issue getting a direct J flight on the outbound. However when I attempted to book my return, the only option available were flight with a connection in Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, etc. The short leg(under 1 hour) would be in J, and the transcontinental portion would be in economy. I get the full J class charge but only 1 hour in J and 4 in economy. Can anyone explain how one can get around this.?
There is no way to get around it ... Its Aeroplan....

You can try reseraching individual legs of the itinerary, see if you can find anything in full J. You can then (in theory, because wait times are infinite) call and have them stitch it together segment by segment for a $30++ booking fee.

Also, pretty sure its better to book these as one ways, due to lower taxes in Alberta.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Errorplan has been doing this for a long time, it's their way of stinging you for the full cost of a J redemption and not living up to their end of the deal. Sadly, most people don't notice, and only find out they're stuck in Y after they board the plane. By then of course, it's far too late.

Sleazy? You bet. But it's been standard operating procedure for years.

Try booking a two one-way trips, as rankourabu suggests ... you never know.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by sp4294
They'll have J/J awards for one pax at least 6 times per week. For two pax it's usually 3 times. Looking for 3+ pax, it's actually pretty rare. Forget any J/J TATL reward on Fridays.

I agree that it's absolutely insane. Please AC, don't let this happen in your new program.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chauffeurboy
You can search for an all-Y routing.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You can search for an all-Y routing.
Or, Aeroplan could deliver what the customer asked for instead of trying to sneak one by.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Or, Aeroplan could deliver what the customer asked for instead of trying to sneak one by.
If you don't want mixed-cabin, uncheck that box. Otherwise, it is exactly what they asked for.

If you simply don't want them to offer short-haul J long-haul Y, then you'll end up with "no availability", which is strictly worse.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you don't want mixed-cabin, uncheck that box.
Here's the thing. If you're starting at a smaller airport (in my case, YQB), your itinerary will include a connector flight to a larger airport. And 98% of the time those flights are on smaller planes with Y seating only*. So if you uncheck the box nothing shows up in your search. The solution is of course to search starting from YUL or YYZ and then try to find a connector flight afterwards.

*I have seen a particularly sneaky exception to this. A couple of times I have noticed itineraries pricing out as J awards, but with the only flight actually in J being the YQB-YUL flight... on a Dash-8, which has no J seating. So essentially you have an all-Y itinerary, but are paying J rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.