Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yay! More domestic Rouge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by willflyforfood
I hate to be the nerd that points out just how awful the state of journalistic writing has become, but this passage is just so poor I have to make an example of it.

"Ben Smith, president of passenger airlines at Air Canada, said Rouge Airbus A320s and 321s can be converted to high density single class cabins or possibly another airplane type such as the Boeing 737 Max."

Now granted, this is from YAHOO finance, so it's not quite the NYT or WAPO, but seriously?
I note no one commented on your comment willflyforfood. I suspect they missed your point. I too would like to see how Air Canada could convert an A320 or A321 into a Boeing 737 Max.

Maybe they plan on hiring David Copperfield.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
No. Very bad idea. Someone needs to work on convincing AC that YXE-YYZ needs a minim frequency but does not have sufficient traffic to fill a high density A319. It needs to go to C-series. The rouge A319 need to stay off routes I fly from time to time. Perhaps the route should go back to the CRJ 705 or whatever it is called these days.
I agree!! Right now the E-90’s are full on almost every flight I am on. But the frequency sucks. There’s are times in the April/may schedule where there’s not a yyz-yxe flight for 9 or 10 hours. We don’t need a decrease in frequency!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If Q400s get swapped for rouge 319s, then it means I get J where I had Y before. I fail to see a single issue with this from the premium passenger's perspective.
Unless they go to a high-density Y-only configuration on the Airbus. Then you get all the discomfort of a Q400 with less frequency.

A Jazz captain told a friend of mine that there were plans to replace one of the 6 daily Q400 flights on YQT-YYZ with Rouge. We’ve often wondered why this route hasn’t been upgauged since some of those flights are always packed. Maybe it wasn’t financially viable or allowed contractually with mainline, but it works with Rouge somehow. Initially I was excited because I thought we’d finally have J seats on the route, but now I suspect we’ll get the all-Y configuration.

Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by tracon
My prediction, Rouge will be folded into mainline within a year of Rovinescu announcing his retirement.
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Meaning? That they'll axe Rouge altogether? I'm not sure I follow your train of thought.
Other way around kids, mainline will be folded into rouge .... or, in plain English, replaced with it altogether on ALL domestic and transcon routes.

And that "premium long haul" service? How are you enjoying the 777HD? That's the future boys and girls, the only difference between AC's "premium long haul" and domestic rouge will be the colour of paint on the outside of the plane.

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
At least with Swoop you'd pay less. That's seems to be the difference - yes it sucks but it least it saves money. I'll bet money the Rouge planes will cost the same as mainline!
Talk about a safe bet! AC's rouge planes have cost the same as mainline on every single route they've been introduced to so far, why would this further enhancement be any different?

Remember, it's ALL about Calin's bonus. AC couldn't give a flying f*ck about any of you folks.

My one regret? Looks like I'll continue to see even more AC luggage tags on my Westjet flights. Damn.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE
I would rather fly in a Jazz Q400 Y seat with a higher frequency than a Rouge (or ML!) J seat with lower frequency for any flight less than two hours.

Rouge taking over the YQB-YYZ route means that I will now have a least one more night one the road for just about every trip I take since they will be axing the earliest and latest daily flight of the schedule.

That’s the tragedy in my book. I honestly couldn’t care less about seat pitch, wider/comfier seat, red or white plane if it means I will be sleeping away from my family a dozen additional nights per year.

Best case scenario, I will still get home the same day but will lose half a day of work and get to enjoy longer layovers in YYZ Dom MLL.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Member

I hate to be the nerd that points out just how awful the state of journalistic writing has become, but this passage is just so poor I have to make an example of it.

"Ben Smith, president of passenger airlines at Air Canada, said Rouge Airbus A320s and 321s can be converted to high density single class cabins or possibly another airplane type such as the Boeing 737 Max."

Now granted, this is from YAHOO finance, so it's not quite the NYT or WAPO, but seriously?
I think they use the same lavatory doors.

So yeah, it could be done.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Mainline narrow body aircraft have a real J product I can upgrade to, Y seats up front that have extra legroom, and Y seats in the back with less (where less is even less on the 7M8, but still). Current Rouge aircraft have a J-ish product up front
Aside from the IFE, what is different on rouge?

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I note no one commented on your comment willflyforfood.
I did
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Is that a problem with journalism, or the language skills of AC execs?

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I note no one commented on your comment willflyforfood. I suspect they missed your point. I too would like to see how Air Canada could convert an A320 or A321 into a Boeing 737 Max.

Maybe they plan on hiring David Copperfield. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAI_Lsor8vk
AC is good at making aircraft vanish on their own.

Where's C-FTJP?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Other way around kids, mainline will be folded into rouge .... or, in plain English, replaced with it altogether on ALL domestic and transcon routes.
I think you're close but not quite right. I see Rouge eventually taking over all narrowbody flights including the "low-end" intercontinental routes like DUB operated by the 737. Mainline evolves into an exclusively widebody carrier operating the big intercontinental routes as well as a few premium transcon and positioning flights that need widebody service. Basically, we'll end up with a model like QF in Australia where the international and domestic operations were split into separate divisions back around 2012.

Here why I think the model works:

1. Pilots and cabin crews will like it - Mainline crews all move up to widebodies, which I believe pay better. Rouge crews get more route options and an expanded employee pool (= more seniority for current staff). Make it a gradual transition so mainline crews upgauge with international capacity growth or are reduced through attrition without the need for layoffs. All new hires go to expand Rouge until the transition is complete and the mainline employee pool is "right-sized".

2. Fleet segregation - Mainline operates the 777, 787, and A330. Rouge operates the 767, 737, A32X, and CSeries.

3. AC Express savings - Cheaper domestic operations with Rouge reduce the cost advantage of the regional carriers. That means AC gets to put the screws to Chorus, Sky Regional, etc. when their contracts come up for renewal.

4. Product commonality - Flying on mainline? You get lie-flat seats in J and seat-back IFE. Flying on Rouge? You get recliners and streaming IFE (they'll eventually pull it off the 737s to save money).

5. Premium cabin reductions - Many of the current 2-cabin A32Xs will be replaced by 1-cabin 737s, probably with "Euro-business" (blocked middle seats) up front. I predict AC's new FFP will offer free elite upgrades to these seats to lure people in from AP, but to keep costs down the hot meals in Premium Rouge will be replaced by free selections from the BOB cart a la WS Plus.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Arcanum
I think you're close but not quite right. I see Rouge eventually taking over all narrowbody flights including the "low-end" intercontinental routes like DUB operated by the 737. Mainline evolves into an exclusively widebody carrier operating the big intercontinental routes as well as a few premium transcon and positioning flights that need widebody service. Basically, we'll end up with a model like QF in Australia where the international and domestic operations were split into separate divisions back around 2012.

Here why I think the model works:

1. Pilots and cabin crews will like it - Mainline crews all move up to widebodies, which I believe pay better. Rouge crews get more route options and an expanded employee pool (= more seniority for current staff). Make it a gradual transition so mainline crews upgauge with international capacity growth or are reduced through attrition without the need for layoffs. All new hires go to expand Rouge until the transition is complete and the mainline employee pool is "right-sized".

2. Fleet segregation - Mainline operates the 777, 787, and A330. Rouge operates the 767, 737, A32X, and CSeries.

3. AC Express savings - Cheaper domestic operations with Rouge reduce the cost advantage of the regional carriers. That means AC gets to put the screws to Chorus, Sky Regional, etc. when their contracts come up for renewal.

4. Product commonality - Flying on mainline? You get lie-flat seats in J and seat-back IFE. Flying on Rouge? You get recliners and streaming IFE (they'll eventually pull it off the 737s to save money).

5. Premium cabin reductions - Many of the current 2-cabin A32Xs will be replaced by 1-cabin 737s, probably with "Euro-business" (blocked middle seats) up front. I predict AC's new FFP will offer free elite upgrades to these seats to lure people in from AP, but to keep costs down the hot meals in Premium Rouge will be replaced by free selections from the BOB cart a la WS Plus.
I am with you on all points except the last. They are currently standardizing on 4 row J cabins -- my prediction is this is the standard to differentiate from WS go forward. Without it, they don't have enough differentiation to retain a strangle hold on the business travel market. And I do think they can sell 25-50% of their J cabin as actual revenue; half of that for pax transiting to an international flight, half for people on OPM who actually pay for it/afford it. My other prediction is that the number of preferred seats in Y will be significantly reduced to compensate (reduced from the initially much larger pool we are saying on the 737 Max to 2 -3 rows).
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
I am with you on all points except the last. They are currently standardizing on 4 row J cabins -- my prediction is this is the standard to differentiate from WS go forward. Without it, they don't have enough differentiation to retain a strangle hold on the business travel market. And I do think they can sell 25-50% of their J cabin as actual revenue; half of that for pax transiting to an international flight, half for people on OPM who actually pay for it/afford it. My other prediction is that the number of preferred seats in Y will be significantly reduced to compensate (reduced from the initially much larger pool we are saying on the 737 Max to 2 -3 rows).
Yeah I don't see the all-Y configurations going anywhere but to augment capacity on the leisure-heavy transcons (YVR/YYC/YEG-YYZ) where slipping in a few all-Y flights means, at worse, an extra hour or two in the lounge for those who absolutely must travel in J.

The J customer base is not really the business traveler these days, its the people of size, the clausterphobic, the hockey players, politicians and public servants, etc., who really don't have any other choice and for which sitting in Y is not an option whatsoever no matter the cost.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Unlikely. They tried rouge with fake Euro-J and it didn't work. If Euro-J didn't work even on their most leisure-heavy routes, why would it suffice elsewhere? Remember, right now it's WS who's moving towards AC when it comes to premium product. Years ago, Plus was just a seat at the front with more leg room. Then the food, the blocked middle seat, later priority security, etc.

Meals, not sure. I don't really care though, the snack box on WS Plus is better than any hot meal AC has ever served me in North America.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I think bigger routes serving hubs and non-widebody transcons will retain J cabins, but smaller routes will go to a single-cabin config with "Euro-business". So the international connecting passenger on YWG-YYZ or business traveller on YVR-YUL will get proper J, but the person flying YWG-YEG will not. This is similar in a way to the LH model where all flights not going to/from MUC or FRA are operated by their low-cost Germanwings subsidiary.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:41 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I think bigger routes serving hubs and non-widebody transcons will retain J cabins, but smaller routes will go to a single-cabin config with "Euro-business". So the international connecting passenger on YWG-YYZ or business traveller on YVR-YUL will get proper J, but the person flying YWG-YEG will not. This is similar in a way to the LH model where all flights not going to/from MUC or FRA are operated by their low-cost Germanwings subsidiary.
In the next few years you may very well have a better macro environment in less bubbly, less highly indebted 'secondary' cities like YWG and YEG, than you do in YYZ and YVR due to a real estate price collapse. It might very well be a mistake to assume that there's less wealth or demand for J between YWG and YEG, than there is between YYZ and YVR. Additionally, operating all-Y in parallel with the widebody ops on the main leisure-heavy transcons will eliminate the on-going problem of "J" being an unpredictably different product depending on aircraft that is to the constant chagrin of FT'ers.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Member

As long as Air Canada perceives that they can make more money on rouge flights the rouging of mainline flights will continue.

Until rouge is mainline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.