Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

‘Terrifying’ Air Canada flight triggers past trauma for Thornhill mom - Global News

‘Terrifying’ Air Canada flight triggers past trauma for Thornhill mom - Global News

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

This one is a bit different and I wasn't sure I wanted to post, but I figured someone would anyway.

You might want to read up on AC 621 from July 1970 to understand a bit more about this person's experience on her recent AC 34. If you choose to wiki, you'll see her name listed.

That said, I get the sense that her experience n AC 34 brought back memories she might had preferred not to remember, and thus the resulting panic and perhaps perception of the crew.

Also, based on posts in other social media from others who were on that AC 34, it seems opinions of the captain and perhaps crew were different and more positive, along with their unplanned delay in HNL.

I am also curious if she called Global or Global was looking for people on that flight.

-----

Global News - February 15, 2018 9:03 pm - By Jamie Mauracher

https://globalnews.ca/news/4029192/t...thornhill-mom/
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
“The staff was being so cold… even after my husband proceeded to tell them I already have a fear of flying.”

Yeah no.

In an emergency, that's exactly how I want the crew to behave. I don't want them spending 2 minutes per passenger reassuring them. "Sit down, shut up, listen to instructions, pull out your life vest" etc.
JBauer, SFO777, awayIgo and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
“The staff was being so cold… even after my husband proceeded to tell them I already have a fear of flying.”

Yeah no.

In an emergency, that's exactly how I want the crew to behave. I don't want them spending 2 minutes per passenger reassuring them. "Sit down, shut up, listen to instructions, pull out your life vest" etc.
Agree.

I don't know what she was expecting, I don't know if her history altered her perception of the communication and while others saw it as professional, she saw it as cold.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
"self published" is suspicious. Perhaps it was horribly written, or poorly sourced, had no audience, or was obviously slanderous lawsuit bait. Her Amazon bio opening sentence betrays her target of rage. It might be real to her, and to her all the support she need to lead a healthy life. TPAC on AC metal is not that for her.

Many a poster here avoids Air Canada because they screw up zoned boarding. Why would this trauma victim who has a deathly life line grudge with AC have been aboard AC 34 at all?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In contrast, these guys - including Air Canada's reply:

-
Fraser and JBauer like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Yeah no.

+1. You're in an emergency situation and the crew have a plane full of pax to deal with. Sounds absolutely fine to me.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:45 pm
Original Member

How many panicked passengers does it take to make things go sideways in a hurry?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
While it is incredibly unfortunate what happened to this woman's family with AC621, I can't think of anything the crew did wrong in this situation. They had duties and checklists to perform, and to ensure the safety of 300+ pax. As a pilot I would have done the same thing, albeit on my Cessna. If I have an engine failure or fire, I don't have time to calm down everyone in the plane. I've got to focus on running my checklists and flying the plane. As they teach us right from the start; Aviate, Navigate, then Communicate.
DrunkCargo and 4sallypat like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
TLDR most posts but I GENERALLY can't understand why people would ever contact a news service to complain about their petty issues rather than deal with it privately.

I empathize for her but I always feel like they intend to do this for some sort of cash grab with help from publicity. Especially with airline issues.

​​​​​​Doesn't help that news stations are hurting to find interesting stories to entertain their reader so they take the easy way out by hating airlines on whatever issue they can write about. It's silly, and I stopped paying attention to it.
Diabeetus and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
While it is incredibly unfortunate what happened to this woman's family with AC621, I can't think of anything the crew did wrong in this situation. They had duties and checklists to perform, and to ensure the safety of 300+ pax. As a pilot I would have done the same thing, albeit on my Cessna. If I have an engine failure or fire, I don't have time to calm down everyone in the plane. I've got to focus on running my checklists and flying the plane. As they teach us right from the start; Aviate, Navigate, then Communicate.
Absolutely. Unfortunately, they don't teach that to passengers.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Not only does it sound like the crew did their job, but I can't help but question the woman's motivation and the reliability of her characterization. Motivation since she may well have thought this would draw attention to her business of writing and speaking about an AC-caused tragedy. Characterization because she sells herself as "a survivor of an unspeakable tragedy". While the crash that killed her family members clearly was a tragedy, and I'm sure it made her life extremely difficult, that phrase is clearly distortive.

P.S. RCHHMP, flame away at me for my victim-blaming and not acknowledging what an unspeakable tragedy AC has forced this woman to endure yet again!
Diabeetus and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I listened to the interview a few times to ensure I was giving this woman the benefit of a fair hearing. My takeaway is that the complainant;
1. And her husband "walked" up to the front of the plane to find out was going on and were told to go back to their seats and,
2. Claims that AC was was "cold and lacked compassion" back in 1970 following a crash in which her older siblings and mother died.

I doubt that this woman will find any sympathy here for her alleged emotional trauma arising from Air Canada following the appropriate safety procedures. I cannot fathom why Global did not exercise some corporate social responsibility and present some facts to put the story in context. This is an inane and poorly presented story.

All Global needed to do was to point out that it is not acceptable to charge up the aisle and to make demands of cabin crew during a crisis. I'm quite certain that the seat belt lights were illuminated and that pax were told to take their seats and to buckle up. I applaud the AC crew restraint as I would have let loose a torrent of abuse on this couple. Selfish and ignorant behavior that put other people's safety at risk all because they were only concerned about themselves.

As for the alleged AC conduct 48 years ago, I don't think she communicated with Air Canada as she was still a child. I am of the view that the allegations of coldness from that time, are a product of her own emotional instability. I get it, she was hurt by the initial incident. However, it's a stretch to try and link the two events. If she is that traumatized, she should not fly let alone use Air Canada.

I don't understand why AC doesn't shut this story down. Now's the time a strong comment clearly and politely stated would be appropriate.
pmaclell, longtimeflyin and KDS777 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Posted on Global. Interesting.

Diabeetus likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Plenty of therapists in Thornhill. She needs to find a good one.
B747-437B, lcohen999 and Diabeetus like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
These kinda stories...I just can't.

She assumed she was involved in a plane crash by being told to practice to brace. If you read the safety info on the plane they tell you how to do that, the flight attendants are doing it again because they know no one reads that stuff. That's called being prudent. No one TELLS you to brace for a car crash because they don't know it's coming.

I feel bad that her family died in a crash all those years ago, but that's been nearly 50 years and AC has had 1? crash with fatalities since then? I'd be much more concerned with THAT than with their level of sympathy in a situation such as this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.