Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

‘Terrifying’ Air Canada flight triggers past trauma for Thornhill mom - Global News

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘Terrifying’ Air Canada flight triggers past trauma for Thornhill mom - Global News

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
I think this is the first time everyone agrees on Flyertalk !
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:44 am

It's irresponsible journalism to even publish that stuff. There's literally no point to the story.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I think this is the first time everyone agrees on Flyertalk !
I disagree.
Fraser and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I disagree.
That everyone agrees, this is the first time, or we are on FT?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mapleg
Plenty of therapists in Thornhill. She needs to find a good one.
According to her website, she is one [and dealing with anxiety, trauma etc].
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
They should charge the husband for not following instructions. The last thing I want is some to fly into me during severe turbulence.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I listened to the interview a few times to ensure I was giving this woman the benefit of a fair hearing. My takeaway is that the complainant;
1. And her husband "walked" up to the front of the plane to find out was going on and were told to go back to their seats and,
2. Claims that AC was was "cold and lacked compassion" back in 1970 following a crash in which her older siblings and mother died.

I doubt that this woman will find any sympathy here for her alleged emotional trauma arising from Air Canada following the appropriate safety procedures. I cannot fathom why Global did not exercise some corporate social responsibility and present some facts to put the story in context. This is an inane and poorly presented story.
I said the exact same thing when I saw it last night...."How is this news?".

It's obvious, she's looking for a handout from AC for her alleged suffering. I'm surprised she hasn't enlisted good ol' Gabor to take up her cause.

What a reprehensible human being. AC should ban her for life.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:15 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I agree, staff did exactly what they were supposed to do, no time to coddle.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I said the exact same thing when I saw it last night...."How is this news?".

It's obvious, she's looking for a handout from AC for her alleged suffering. I'm surprised she hasn't enlisted good ol' Gabor to take up her cause.

What a reprehensible human being. AC should ban her for life.
She has deep rooted emotions that were sparked during a potentially traumatic event. She reacted through her emotion. That does not make her reprehensible. It also doesn't make a news story.
Orcair and 24left like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
She has deep rooted emotions that were sparked during a potentially traumatic event. She reacted through her emotion. That does not make her reprehensible. It also doesn't make a news story.
Her reaction isn't reprehensible, her decision to contact Global news and try and leverage it for compensation is.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I think her reaction was understandable given her history, but IT'S NOT NEWS! Why does everyone feel the need to tell everything to reporters and why do news outlets insist on publishing it? I know that they need to fill their content quotas, but they could have told the story of how the crew dealt with a potential problem and landed safely. This would have even had a public service aspect to it by reassuring the public that not every flight problem ends in disaster. Instead they smear the flight crew and try to add sympathy by constantly mentioning the fact that she is a "mom", even though it has nothing to do with her story since she wasn't even traveling with the kids.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:12 am

"If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the [expletive for fornicating] car." - The Wolf

In a situation of critical nature, time is certainly in short supply. On board an aircraft, fighting a fire, or any other similar situation. There is no time for long drawn out explanations, hand holding, coddling, or any other response/action which uses more time than absolutely necessary and further limits the time to actually handle the situation.

You want the shortest, most direct, clear and concise message possible when communication must occur. You do not want to leave any room for interpretation or a chance of being misunderstood.

While I'm sorry for the loss of her family when she was but a child, that has nothing to do with any of this other than perhaps she was not of sound mind to get on a flight to begin with. It's a shame, and while AC has its faults, there is nothing here that warrants any negativity towards AC in this instance. The CC did their jobs, and thankfully it was a sensor and not an actual fire. That being the case does not negate the situation and make it smaller than it was at the time during that period where it was believed to be critical.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
This is indeed a potentially landmark thread, in which we are all coming together in unison to voice a common opinion. I'm not sure I know what to do with this unprecedented harmony we're experiencing.

The crew was interpreted as being "cold", and perhaps they were. It's because the rare and most important raison of their d'être was manifesting itself, and a potentially life-threatening scenario was unfolding. They put on their no-nonsense hats, and did their jobs. Let's remember that they were likely as nervous as the passengers.

Ms. Fishman has managed to monetize a personal tragedy, and the questions over her motivation in this case, while blunt, are valid ones. I'd suggest she may want to remove "coping skills' from her declared area of expertise on her webpage, and emphasize "anxiety" as a skill in which she excels.

One nugget of dissension (because hey, that's what I do): let's agree to stop short of calling her a "reprehensible human being" and a "disgrace". That's just not called for.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Feb 16, 2018 at 10:54 am
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:50 am
Suspended

"Back on the plane, Lynda says she could not believe that history was repeating itself. “Like how could I have lost my whole family in a plane crash and now be in one?”"

So much cognitive fallacy here. Did her family dying in a plane crash give her a magical protective bubble from future crashes? Does the last coin flip influence the next?

This story seems to be another case of low grade clickbait. Hey, let's do a story about an emotional wreck who hates Air Canada..that should get some likes.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
This story seems to be another case of low grade clickbait. Hey, let's do a story about an emotional wreck who hates Air Canada..that should get some likes.

Well, it is global, soooooo...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.