Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anyone Know When AC Up/Downgauges YYC-NRT?

Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold

Hey guys,

AC most definitely flew the 787 from YYC-NRT and has since downgauged to a 767. I expect that this is a seasonal up/downgauge but trying to determine when it happens.

Trying to book a J seat for September/October and want to make sure we are on the 787 and want to use past history to get a sense of whether we will be stuck on a subpar product (767). Cheers
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: TK *G
767s are unlikely to fly this route in September. They are in the process of retirement.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by songsc
767s are unlikely to fly this route in September. They are in the process of retirement.
Hmmmm ... interesting. Anyone have any idea of how to tell if 767 routes might be replaced with A330s ... or any way in general to tell what planes service which routes and expected changes?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hmmmm ... interesting. Anyone have any idea of how to tell if 767 routes might be replaced with A330s ... or any way in general to tell what planes service which routes and expected changes?
there are website like this one announcing new routes, schedule/equipment change:
https://www.routesonline.com/

Also periodically checking AC website works too.

And I haven't seen A330 operated YYC-NRT. It will most likely be 787 after 767s are gone.

On another note, the only time I recall AC A330 flew TPAC routes was during 2011 Japan earthquake. The 773 for AC1/2 was switched to A330 for a short period of time.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

there are website like this one announcing new routes, schedule/equipment change:
https://www.routesonline.com/

Also periodically checking AC website works too.

And I haven't seen A330 operated YYC-NRT. It will most likely be 787 after 767s are gone.

On another note, the only time I recall AC A330 flew TPAC routes was during 2011 Japan earthquake. The 773 for AC1/2 was switched to A330 for a short period of time.
Much appreciated! This is great information and helps alleviate my concerns about flying an old product. Cheers
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys,

AC most definitely flew the 787 from YYC-NRT and has since downgauged to a 767. I expect that this is a seasonal up/downgauge but trying to determine when it happens.

Trying to book a J seat for September/October and want to make sure we are on the 787 and want to use past history to get a sense of whether we will be stuck on a subpar product (767). Cheers

Hmmmm, I am looking at AC.com, random dates Sept/Oct YYC-NRT
This is what is showing now. I'm not sure who other than AC would know which aircraft will be used

Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Inaccurate.

The latest AC fleet plan (see January 11 investor presentation) shows 5 763s still in the fleet at the end of 2018. It's therefore possible that the YYC-NRT route could be a 763 in September/October.

It's also possible that the route could go back to 787, but there's no guarantee one way or the other.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Inaccurate.

The latest AC fleet plan (see January 11 investor presentation) shows 5 763s still in the fleet at the end of 2018. It's therefore possible that the YYC-NRT route could be a 763 in September/October.

It's also possible that the route could go back to 787, but there's no guarantee one way or the other.
We'll know more on Friday with the release of their results. I've seen rumours on more than one forum that AC is picking up 6-7 used A330s. Could be to replace the remaining 767s. But, it's still a rumour at this point.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AC 75K
Looks like based on the timetable that it's currently a 763 right through to the end of the schedule (Feb 2019).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Flightmapper Calgary to Narita, Tokyo. shows 763 running this route for all scheduled periods. Doesn't mean that won't change later of course.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Well I for one, will miss the old girls. I understand the economics behind the decision to retire the 767s, but from a passenger comfort point of view, and a dash of nostalgia thrown in as I recall many of my initial Trans-Pacs were aboard '67s, she was a hard plane to beat.

I don't mind the 787 line, but they simply fail to excite me, and are marketed to passengers using gimmicky features (dimming windows, cabin mood lighting, lower cabin altitude etc). Outfit a 787 in a 2-3-2 economy layout with 33" seat pitch, and my mind could conceivably change.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Well I for one, will miss the old girls. I understand the economics behind the decision to retire the 767s, but from a passenger comfort point of view, and a dash of nostalgia thrown in as I recall many of my initial Trans-Pacs were aboard '67s, she was a hard plane to beat.

I don't mind the 787 line, but they simply fail to excite me, and are marketed to passengers using gimmicky features (dimming windows, cabin mood lighting, lower cabin altitude etc). Outfit a 787 in a 2-3-2 economy layout with 33" seat pitch, and my mind could conceivably change.
They sell 2-3-2 (premium) economy.

They offer what customers want: cheap Y tickets.

If you want a bigger seat, they have 3 different options on the 787. Preferred, PY, and J.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They sell 2-3-2 (premium) economy.

They offer what customers want: cheap Y tickets.

If you want a bigger seat, they have 3 different options on the 787. Preferred, PY, and J.
Charging 2X, sometimes 3X is not exactly viable option for most people when the seat is just slightly better.
Prefered is not exactly bigger either.

There need to be sth in between hell known as AC Y and PY, a 2-4-2 offering for 10 to 15% more
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Charging 2X, sometimes 3X is not exactly viable option for most people when the seat is just slightly better.
Prefered is not exactly bigger either.

There need to be sth in between hell known as AC Y and PY, a 2-4-2 offering for 10 to 15% more
10% more would lose money over the current offering.

15% more would be interesting, and I suspect if there were enough customers who cared, they would do it.

You're talking about an insanely small niche here. You want to pay more for more space (so you're already in the 1% of travelers), but you are not willing to pay for the next cabin.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
10% more would lose money over the current offering.

15% more would be interesting, and I suspect if there were enough customers who cared, they would do it.

You're talking about an insanely small niche here. You want to pay more for more space (so you're already in the 1% of travelers), but you are not willing to pay for the next cabin.
I am not sure its an insanely small niche, JAL and DL are not crazy to keep their 773 9abreast

I guess we are treading off the topic at hand though..........

Its not crazy for them to add two rows on a 773 and sell them as economy plus for 15% more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.