Does anyone like AC gate agents?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Does anyone like AC gate agents?

As per the subject.

We all have our favorite flight attendant or service director on AC, but i'm curious if anyone likes any AC gate agent? Many have been OK, some have been absolutely terrible, but I don't think I've ever met any AC gate agent whereby I'm impressed by their work/service. Curious what others feel here.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've met quite a few that I like.
Stranger likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've met quite a few that I like.
Same here. YQR has several that are stellar, and there’s a couple in YYC I’ve liked quite a bit and encountered often over the years. And yes, I have encountered my share of ordinary to less than inspired GAs, but there are some gems out there for sure.
unclepants likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:42 pm

YGK have saved my bacon many a time and are brilliant. Same generally in YYZ tho there is always someone having a bad day in any walk of life
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Sure. Like most front line staff at AC, some are great, some suck. Some are indifferent. Kinda like almost all employees in almost all jobs? Frontline staff are generally about the best part of AC, and if you treat them with respect and give them a smile, don't act like an entitled prick, you will likely get courtesy in return. Mostly what I would expect of anybody paid what they are. And yes I am willing to make an exception for people having a bad day too. Lets face it, the requirements you have of a gate agent these days should be vanishingly small. Not hard to live up to?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Clearly as a FOTSG I don’t have that much interaction so I don’t actually recognize them, but I remember one as being extremely friendly. And apologetic for their IT.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jc94
Clearly as a FOTSG I don’t have that much interaction so I don’t actually recognize them, but I remember one as being extremely friendly. And apologetic for their IT.
As an E35K I usually have the same experience. A few YHZ agents have stood out as this is usually where I am checking in most often. As for agents at large stations I occasionally recognize faces, however have never really had much interaction.

EDIT: Not sure if I really fit FOTSG lol. More like FHFRW (Fly Home for Reading Week).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: TK *G
There are some good ones. But to me the odds are lower comparing to a good SD/FA.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Their mom will like them, moms like every child!
ne52 and quantumofforce like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I got know many of the YVR agents last year, having seen them about 200 times in a few months. I like many of the YVR GAs.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
There are a few in YOW (especially at Rapidair it seems) that seem to be a bit surly most of the time, but then sometimes you get a gate crew like the one that operated AC888 last night that are great.

Like everything with AC, YMMV.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm not sure any have been memorable enough for me to consider them one way or another. A few at YHZ I'd recognize, but not if the weren't in uniform and behind a podium, and I'd not remember a single employee from my hub-away-from-home, YYZ, from week to week.

Lounge dragons, I might be able to pick out of a line up, OTOH.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I guess overall it's a mixed bag. I've run into surly, disinterested and downright unhelpful agents, especially at the larger stations, but as @ridefar mentioned above, treating them with a little respect and smile goes a long way. Still, if I'm being fair, I'd have to say the onboard experience is consistently superior to the on-ground experience.

Last edited by ffsim; Feb 12, 2018 at 12:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: *$ Green
Boarding, and ground handling in general is the worst part of my flying experience.

If I can, I try to avoid as much of it as possible. OLCI to avoid talking to any check in agents, and showing up right as boarding starts and zip through priority, or wait for boarding to be completed so I board last when it's not crowded (don't care if I don't get a 3oz cup of OJ).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
There are a few in YOW (especially at Rapidair it seems) that seem to be a bit surly most of the time
Like accusing you of using your dad's Aeroplan number?
RatherBeInYOW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.