Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Connection time from Intl to Domestic at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I can't seem to force Matrix to price out a mixed AM/AC ticket from MEX-YYZ-YOW. I suspect it's because the connection time at YYZ is 65 mins because I can purchase the tickets separately. It's the last flight to YOW on any airline so the only other option is to overnight at which point I might as well take the red-eye.

Is 65 mins enough time to do this on separate tickets? I would normally have a checked bag but could switch to a carry-on/garment bag to make this work....

Merci
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:49 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
MCT applicable to this itinerary is 75 minutes, which is why you can't book it.

Whether it's enough time really depends on whether your inbound is on time. With carry-on, NEXUS and an on-time arrival, sure, it's possible, but even a small delay would throw the whole thing off.

Remember that with separate tickets that are below the MCT, AC is under no obligation to take care of you if you misconnect, so caveat emptor.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
In the summer this is risky, in winter it would be insane, in my opinion Remember to AC on time is wheels down within 15 mins of schedule, and they may then spend 15 mins getting to a gate, which may not be near customs.

Baggage can still on occasion take 45 mins at YYZ. Now while they do straight pass through on US and EU flights I don’t see MEX having this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I've managed to go from a slightly delayed LHR-->YYZ flight and make my on-time domestic flight in 26 minutes (I was the last to board - originally booking had left me 80 minutes to connect). This was before the shuttle from intl to dom was available so I had to go through security again. I would not recommend it unless you have Nexus and are travelling light.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
AM flys to T3, AC is T1. You will need to clear customs, take the train to T1 and re-clear security. Very risky. If you have bags, impossible.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is about risk tolerance, not MCT. MCT is simply a carrier's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect. Here AC has no such risk and the transfer time -- it is not a connection -- is a question of OP's willingness to accept the risk.

The question is not whether the transfer can be done in 65 minutes, but the likelihood of success and the consequences of missing the onwards flight.

Most seasoned travelers would recommend a transfer time of 2-3 x the MCT in order to account for risk. This one is below SCT (Sensible Connnection Time).
jc94 and Brendan like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Too early in the morning, I missed the bit about AM, was thinking it was AC-AC...

That makes this even crazier.

With the need to transfer from T3 to T1, that adds a bunch of time to what's actually required - and, for what it's worth, MCT is 1:45.

I certainly wouldn't chance it.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
I can't seem to force Matrix to price out a mixed AM/AC ticket from MEX-YYZ-YOW. I suspect it's because the connection time at YYZ is 65 mins because I can purchase the tickets separately. It's the last flight to YOW on any airline so the only other option is to overnight at which point I might as well take the red-eye.

Is 65 mins enough time to do this on separate tickets? I would normally have a checked bag but could switch to a carry-on/garment bag to make this work....
Merci
No. You will not make the connection if you clear customs in Toronto. You could try routing via YVR.
FYI, the normal route is MEX-YYZ direct with a 2 hour+ layover Rouge 1981 to AC 466 Leave at 13:40 arriving YOW 22:09or the 00:09 flight connecting in YYZ that arrives around 10:00
Anything other than the legal YVR options will result in a misconnect.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
No. You will not make the connection if you clear customs in Toronto. You could try routing via YVR.
FYI, the normal route is MEX-YYZ direct with a 2 hour+ layover Rouge 1981 to AC 466 Leave at 13:40 arriving YOW 22:09or the 00:09 flight connecting in YYZ that arrives around 10:00
Anything other than the legal YVR options will result in a misconnect.
Thanks to all, there seems to be no way to leave MEX after 2pm and arrive in YOW the same night. It looks like I will have to do the red-eye, maybe if I'm asleep I won't notice I'm on Rouge.

Merci
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
How strict is the 2pm? MEX-EWR-YOW on UA is 1:40pm to 11:25pm. With a decent 2.5h at EWR.

If you don’t want *A and can do 1:20pm DL gets in earlier.

But sometimes it’s hard to miss, I extended a trip a day and flew out at 6am because every other option (leaving in the afternoon) seemed to involve an overnight somewhere.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
How strict is the 2pm? MEX-EWR-YOW on UA is 1:40pm to 11:25pm. With a decent 2.5h at EWR.

If you don’t want *A and can do 1:20pm DL gets in earlier.

But sometimes it’s hard to miss, I extended a trip a day and flew out at 6am because every other option (leaving in the afternoon) seemed to involve an overnight somewhere.
I actually was shooting for late afternoon, I was just commenting as you've observed that the last ones are in the 13:00 hour. Which means leaving for the airport around 11:00 which isn't going to work....that's why the AM 5:30pm flight to YYZ was so appealing.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Last Friday I managed a 16 minute door-to-door connection ICN-YYZ-YOW. Pretty sure my previous record was 17 min.

There was a snowstorm in YYZ and the inbound from ICN was late, so I missed my original connection. I was faced with a potential 5 hour wait in YYZ as that was the next available flight.

I noticed that the 19:10 to YOW was delayed and had J seats so I hustled and then boarded16 minutes after I stepped off of the inbound.

Of course when I boarded we then waited almost 60 minutes for Pilots, who were delayed on their inbound . But I got home at a decent time.

No checked bags and have Nexus.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Bus or did you reclear security, @Plumber?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
Last Friday I managed a 16 minute door-to-door connection ICN-YYZ-YOW. Pretty sure my previous record was 17 min.
T1-T1 is very different from T3-T1 (what the OP was taking about) though.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Bus or did you reclear security, @Plumber?
No bus- I re-cleared Security at the 2nd level Connections Security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.