Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Ebb and Flow of AC 33 YVR - SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ebb and Flow of AC 33 YVR - SYD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by flybit
if you are in economy, the flight is high density horrible experience, and you should shoot yourself now for booking AC.
If its Business class and you got a crazy deal, then the experience will be wonderful! hehehehe!
Sarcasm or serious

I am debating changing my Australia award from 2-stop (TK+TK+SQ) to 1-stop (AC+AC) to have a shorter overall flight duration, but YQ on AC is killing me and there is skepticism about AC's soft product qualify as well.

You think I can have an SE friend call Aeroplan on my behalf to change the award to AC flights and get the YQ waived ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Feb 12, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Sarcasm or serious

I am debating changing my Australia award from 2-stop (TK+TK+SQ) to 1-stop (AC+AC) to have a shorter overall flight duration, but YQ on AC is killing me and there is skepticism about AC's soft product qualify as well.

You think I can have an SE friend call Aeroplan on my behalf to change the award to AC flights and get the YQ waived ?
Give Ben Smith a call , and I am sure he would open up I space for you
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Give Ben Smith a call , and I am sure he would open up I space for you
oh the award space in Business Class is already available for my desired date. The problem is the deception scam-charges ($500+ per person).

The question is whether it's worth paying it for less stops, shorter overall trip duration but inconsistent FA attitude and "soft product"
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

oh the award space in J is already available for my desired date. The problem is the deception scam-charges ($500+ per person)
Srsly man, I flame AC all the time, BUT... 500 surcharge is not exactly unfair for a oceanic route.
Just place a value on your time per hour, then see if the length * hourly rate is > YQ surcharge difference.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by lcohen999
SYD, I find is probably one of ACs best flights.

Crews for the most part enjoy it and people seem happy (for lack of a better word) to go.
I found the same for BNE, but equally the other ex-YVR TPACs that I fly - NRT, HKG and TPE. I've flown with a few of the same crews and one SD in particular on NRT, HKG and BNE, as well las a few FAs.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
The alternate I can compare it do is AC15, which is very much cold, paint by numbers. Its 'fine' but it is missing that friendless/warmth you get on the SYD/MEL/BNE crews.
THIS. Absolutely this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Here how I do it

board early in your group and change into some PJ
get sorted and start watching a movie
have 2-3 pre drinks while watching movie
big meal will be served in about an hour so works out well that your movie and meal will finish about the same time
lay the seat flat
take an imovane
wake up 8 hours later
start another movie
eat breakfast
change into street clothes
land
take train to circle quay
check in at marriot
take boat to manly
drink your jet lag away at manly
return to marriot have a few drinks
sleep
lol, very similar to our experience this past Dec. Except for the Marriott, we were at the Autograph Collection. Bad choice, I much prefer the Marriott, which we stayed later on in our trip.

One thing I would add to the AC33 flight discussion. Although we were in J, and the service was fine, I found this flight to be very 'tough', can't imagine for the folks in Y. I guess part of the reason was we started the flight in YYZ, and this December was terrible for weather delays. We were delayed getting out of YYZ by 2 hours. By the time we landed in YVR, it was 11pm PDT, and the YVR-SYD was further delayed. We didn't take off till well past 1am PDT. Now my EST body was already 4am. Not sure if it wants to sleep or wake up, and now have a heavy meal to digest. lol

I understand there is no getting around a Oceanic flight like this. But even if my flights weren't delayed, the scheduled departure of the YVR-SYD for the EST folks is already past midnight. I wonder if the next time I go back to Australia, and I will; love it there, if its better to do some connections first to get to Australia, maybe a lesser extend, fly YYZ-YVR the day before to get adjusted to time, or think about a YYZ to HKG, and stop for a couple of days, then onwards to SYD/MEL.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Commie
lol, very similar to our experience this past Dec. Except for the Marriott, we were at the Autograph Collection. Bad choice, I much prefer the Marriott, which we stayed later on in our trip.

One thing I would add to the AC33 flight discussion. Although we were in J, and the service was fine, I found this flight to be very 'tough', can't imagine for the folks in Y. I guess part of the reason was we started the flight in YYZ, and this December was terrible for weather delays. We were delayed getting out of YYZ by 2 hours. By the time we landed in YVR, it was 11pm PDT, and the YVR-SYD was further delayed. We didn't take off till well past 1am PDT. Now my EST body was already 4am. Not sure if it wants to sleep or wake up, and now have a heavy meal to digest. lol

I understand there is no getting around a Oceanic flight like this. But even if my flights weren't delayed, the scheduled departure of the YVR-SYD for the EST folks is already past midnight. I wonder if the next time I go back to Australia, and I will; love it there, if its better to do some connections first to get to Australia, maybe a lesser extend, fly YYZ-YVR the day before to get adjusted to time, or think about a YYZ to HKG, and stop for a couple of days, then onwards to SYD/MEL.

Others here who fly to Australia more often might have some different advice. Still, I fly the northern Pacific routes frequently enough to have a method that works for me.

My own choices for my BNE flight were to fly YYZ-YVR on the early morning flight and I booked a room at the Fairmont. Since the BNE and SYD flights depart at similar times, I found the break in YVR to be really nice and it worked for me. I am not sure if others can do it. Similarly, when I flew AA LAX-AKL, their flight departs after 11pm, so I flew out to LAX a day ahead and that worked out perfectly.

In terms of meals, on both these Pacific trips, I advised the crew I would be sleeping first and asked that my meal be held until I woke and I also mentioned that I may or may not eat the hot main portion but that I would give them plenty of time to heat it up. I find (oddly) some crews think that we expect the hot meal right away.

For AC to BNE, having flown with the SD on a few other TPACs, he actually asked me if I prefer to sleep first, which was impressive as he remembered the other flights.

I would add that every person who flies across Atlantic or Pacific time zones has their own managing process. None of us are alike and clearly, what works well for some, may not work well for others.

Happy Travels.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I generally skip the main meal, salad, something sweet plus a glass of wine or 3 and I am out cold.

I have been happy enough mostly with the mid meal snack over the years that I don't worry about the hot portion and just grab that option.

As for going earlier, I generally, with a young family don't get that option. So it is 33 all the way. Plus I usually eUpgrade from PE. So starting off in YYZ gives me a better chance of clearing than from YVR.

Put those together, I do the 20 hours at once.

The 4am local departure is tough when that happens, hence the wine...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No, that's not how it works.

The question is whether it's worth paying it for less stops, shorter overall trip duration but inconsistent FA attitude and "soft product"
AC's FAs are generally fine. I've had very few negative experiences, especially in long-haul international J. In fact, none stand out in my mind.

That being said, approach them with a pissy, over-entitled attitude and the response will likely be less than positive, the same as any other front-line customer service position.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC's FAs are generally fine. I've had very few negative experiences, especially in long-haul international J. In fact, none stand out in my mind.

That being said, approach them with a pissy, over-entitled attitude and the response will likely be less than positive, the same as any other front-line customer service position.
I like to complain about AC as much as anyone but this is certainly true. The FAs on long-haul flights tend to be great, and my experience AC33/AC34 was especially stellar. Next time I have to go to Australia (which isn't too often) I'll do it that way again.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
that was the least useful post I have seen in a while. The least you could do is add a joke .
joke added.
AC serves excellent food.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 24left

I would add that every person who flies across Atlantic or Pacific time zones has their own managing process. None of us are alike and clearly, what works well for some, may not work well for others.
The huge advantage of AC 33 is the morning arrival. Forget what has gone before, go through the day in a relatively normal fashion, collapse into bed early evening, and you are good. Yes, it's a long haul, but remember that the night/early morning departure from YYZ/YVR is afternoon/early evening in Sydney. So you have dinner(s) in accordance with destination time, snack mid flight as needed, have breakfast at an actual breakfast time, and it will all work.

AC 34 is a different story - breakfast before arrival in YVR, breakfast en route to YYZ - and suddenly its nighttime. Never works.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

oh the award space in Business Class is already available for my desired date. The problem is the deception scam-charges ($500+ per person).
Following on @Jumper Jack's suggestion, you can call Ben Smith to have the scam charges removed for you.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by fin 645
The huge advantage of AC 33 is the morning arrival. Forget what has gone before, go through the day in a relatively normal fashion, collapse into bed early evening, and you are good. Yes, it's a long haul, but remember that the night/early morning departure from YYZ/YVR is afternoon/early evening in Sydney. So you have dinner(s) in accordance with destination time, snack mid flight as needed, have breakfast at an actual breakfast time, and it will all work.

AC 34 is a different story - breakfast before arrival in YVR, breakfast en route to YYZ - and suddenly its nighttime. Never works.
34...especially with catering is not great. That said. It used to be worse. On the int' portion you can get a lunch/dinner on the brunch/breakfast and then the omelette special on the domestic (ugg).

Once, in my 30+ times doing 33/34 were we delayed in YVR that they actually served lunch on 34 (domestic). It was wonderful (in context). The pasta on the bunch has been a good compromise.

Getting in at 4pm though is tough. Especially because the gang always wants to hit the Keg upon my return from a TPAC
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:09 pm

Quick question : Thinking of booking my pops on AC J from YYZ to SYD using my Aeropesos before they become actual pesos! Is it worth flying on AC in Executive Class or is UA Polaris still the better? Who has the better hard product (pun intended on deflategate)?

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.