Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Help please! If anyone is there. Aeroplan first segment cancelled!

Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite

Hi everyone, always appreciate the help here.

My girlfriends aeroplan reward ticket YWG-YYC-IAH-SYD is for tomorrow AM early 0600. She just got notification the flight got cancelled and now we are scrambling to try and make it to either calgary or houston. There's lots of time during the day but only one AC route via YYZ to IAH.

In terms of rebooking is this Air Canada or Aeroplan? I am pissed cuz the aeroplan number is not available in the middle of the night and won't be by the time these flights leave.

Question 1: As above who do we call to try and get to Houston on time?
2: If we just pay out of pocket to get to calgary/houston via westjet can we still continue on the aeroplan reward ticket?

Much appreciated!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
First, try https://services.aircanada.com/irrop...execution=e1s1. It may solve the whole issue.

If that fails, call Air Canada.

They will route you via YYZ, no questions asked.
pitz likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:09 pm
F 1

If the rebooking tool fails because it's an AE ticket, call Air Canada. Don't pay to book your own flight out of pocket or you risk being deemed a no-show and your itinerary will be cancelled. Good luck!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I love the additional greys added to my scalp every time I fly AC!

edit/update: The cancellation tool did not work, probably cuz AE reward. She got through to reservations after an hour wait. There was a flight via saskatoon to yyc that I hadn't found. So fingers crossed all goes well in a few hours! Thanks again!
trooper likes this.

Last edited by canadianhockey91; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:19 am
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Thanks! I love the additional greys added to my scalp every time I fly AC!

edit/update: The cancellation tool did not work, probably cuz AE reward. She got through to reservations after an hour wait. There was a flight via saskatoon to yyc that I hadn't found. So fingers crossed all goes well in a few hours! Thanks again!
So that flight did not get cancelled?

Quite a bit of snow here in Calgary so no surprise they would cancel some flights. Might have been better to stay away from YYC altogether.
canadiancow and dr_torch like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Who is responsible now to get the OP to SYD ? Can Aeroplan tell the OP he/she is SOL if there is no award availability to SYD, or is Air Canada, the ticketing airline, responsible to get the OP to SYD even if it requires buying revenue tickets ?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Cancellations within 48h of departure are the operating airline's responsibility, just like any other ticket.

Only contact the issuing agent if you need to refund your ticket, or reschedule it beyond 7 days from original departure date, or if you want to completely change destination for whatever reason.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
So that flight did not get cancelled?

Quite a bit of snow here in Calgary so no surprise they would cancel some flights. Might have been better to stay away from YYC altogether.
Ya I guess thats why the YWG-YYC one was. She just made it out to IAH so all good thus far. She said there was tons of snow in YYC though so not surprising. Thankfully looks like all will be good. *knock on wood
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Can Aeroplan tell the OP he/she is SOL if there is no award availability to SYD, or is Air Canada, the ticketing airline, responsible to get the OP to SYD even if it requires buying revenue tickets ?
In desperate IRROPS cases, just about anything goes. If there's no award availability on the alternative flight, they'll book a revenue fare (if the flight isn't completely full), sometimes in a different cabin. They'll even book non-*A flights if necessary.

It's always better to come prepared with your own proposals than relying on agents to find a solution for you.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverChris
They'll even book non-*A flights if necessary.
For paid tickets, they have to. For rewards, it's not so clear.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Stranger
For paid tickets, they have to. For rewards, it's not so clear.
This definitely strays into YMMV territory, ultimately boiling down to how helpful the agent is.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by SilverChris
In desperate IRROPS cases, just about anything goes. If there's no award availability on the alternative flight, they'll book a revenue fare (if the flight isn't completely full), sometimes in a different cabin. They'll even book non-*A flights if necessary.

It's always better to come prepared with your own proposals than relying on agents to find a solution for you.
This.

Even to reward tickets.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:07 pm

If you don't mind travelling on AC metal, they'll likely gladly put you on their YVR-SYD service if they break it. Its all AC's responsibility. They will get you to SYD. That's what I'd personally do, YWG-YVR-SYD. Hanging out in YVR all day is no big deal, just take the Canada line downtown and go do something for the day. Nicer than hanging out in airports all day, going through US CBP, or worrying about whether your bags will reach SYD after that many connections, especially if there's delays.

Last edited by pitz; Feb 8, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.