Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why do AC agents insist on posting/announcing information that they know is untrue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do AC agents insist on posting/announcing information that they know is untrue?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
So here's another (common?) scenario: you book and often pay for a specific seat. Often AC will switch you out of your chosen seat, usually without telling you. You find out when you check in and look at your BP, only to find you're not in the seat you selected. You try to change back and find your chosen seat is occupied. So you talk to the GA or phone in, only to be told, "We can't move another passenger to give you the seat." Well (ahem), that's actually not true. Someone booted me to give it to them, so there's no reason at all why you can't boot them to give the seat back to the rightful occupant.

A variant on this scenario is that you check in and your chosen seat number appears on the BP. All is good, apparently. When you get to your seat you find it's not the exit row or the preferred seat you booked. Looking around you suddenly realize they've done the old aircraft switcheroo, but left you in the same seat number, so it looks like nothing happened. And now it's too late to do anything.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Although, when you selected the seat, how do you know someone else hadn't already selected it and been hiccuped out of it?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Reminds me of the "I'm AC*SM in full J, can you put me on the standby list?" "No, you won't clear."
Yep, I get this often when doing standby.
And by some random act of nature, I get my J seat. Miracle.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Not really an option in BOS is it?

Anyway, as I went from FOTSG to SE quickly, and even have "premier line" for UA, I don't know how useful the generic phone agents would be. With a particularly obstinate GA in front of them, is it worth suggesting to the FOTSG's to call up in a time of crisis, or would that only add to the burden of the stressed PAX?
OK, so I've been around here for a while, but "FOTSG" is a new one to me (and neither the FT glossary nor google is helping)...can someone translate? My best guess is “fly only to see grandkids”.

Last edited by RevvedUp; Feb 13, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by RevvedUp
OK, so I've been around here for a while, but "FOTSG" is a new one to me (and neither the FT glossary nor google is helping)...can someone translate? My best guess is “fly only to see grandkids”.
I think it should actually be an H, as in "Flying home to see Grandma", i.e. a once a year traveller.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RevvedUp

Flying once to see grandma aka a infrequent traveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.