Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

To Book or not to book advanced seat reservations for a family of 3

Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M

I was wondering if families in general tend to book advanced sear reservations while booking their tickets with Air Canada for trans-atlantic travel to ensure that they are seated together or does Air Canada generally seats families together if the tickets are booking under one booking?

Thanks for your opinions in advance
Mash
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
There's no reason not to make advanced seat selections for your family. It's free and ensures that you sit together without having to relocate others or add to the an agent's workload at the airport:

If you are travelling with children under the age of 12, you will receive complimentary seat assignment ensuring children are seated adjacent to an adult/guardian travelling with them. You should always indicate in your booking that you are travelling with children.
You may contact Air Canada Reservations directly to be seated, or go to the ‘Manage My Bookings’ tab to review your reservation 36 hours after booking to validate your seat assignment.
I don't know what families "tend" to do, but you should definitely make advanced seat reservations.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite
I have 4 kids, so my experience might be different, but I ALWAYS pay for advanced seat selection. It's not that much incremental $$, and it gives you the piece of mind that you will be seated together. There are no guarantees if you do not buy advanced selection. You might be able to get seats together at check-in, but if not, then you have to plead/argue/etc with either the gate agent or fellow passengers, either of which is not appealing to me at all. I see countless examples of families getting into heated discussions with gate agents during boarding trying to get seated together - but I have no sympathy. Everyone has the opportunity to ensure they are seated together by paying for that privilege.
So, yea, I advise paying the extra dollars for advanced seats.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by mashlakito
I was wondering if families in general tend to book advanced sear reservations while booking their tickets with Air Canada for trans-atlantic travel to ensure that they are seated together or does Air Canada generally seats families together if the tickets are booking under one booking?

Thanks for your opinions in advance
Mash
Unless one person is underage AC has no requirement to put you anywhere near each other. If there is a block of seats together theyll likely put you in then at OLCI. Likelihood depends on things like route and loads.

I assume you are flying Tango. I always pay for a preferred seat... but that can be pricey. I think generic advance seat is like $15 a head and you can get better seats that way.

If its worth $45 or whatever is up to you. The seat map may give some information as to what seats are currently free... Checking in bang on t-24h is your next best option (and free) but there could be 200 other people doing that and ACs OLCI system isnt functional 100% of the time.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Wow - I had no idea it's now free with children. Haven't traveled transatlantic in a while. When did this change?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by svirac
Wow - I had no idea it's now free with children. Haven't traveled transatlantic in a while. When did this change?
I don't remember exactly when, but I believe it was sometime in (early?) 2017.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
All depends if you like your children or not. If you do, pay the seat fee, if you don't, then don't, however not paying may subject other innocent people to your children. We have always paid it so we can keep an eye on them.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by stinger
All depends if you like your children or not. If you do, pay the seat fee, if you don't, then don't, however not paying may subject other innocent people to your children. We have always paid it so we can keep an eye on them.
See above; theres no fee to pay anymore.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
If it is 2 adults and one minor, and you don't go for seat assignment, you could end up with 2 seats together, and the 3rd seat wherever. If you want 3 seats together, don't risk it.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by ffsim

See above; theres no fee to pay anymore.
So remove "pay the seat fee", my other comments still apply about wanting to spend time with your children or not!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:56 am

Yeah I believe if it's one child you get one seat next to child. The other one is open to chance.

There was a recent thread about this also related to preferred seats I believe; I don't think it differs for 'standard' seats.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E%dK
In December, I travelled to Cancun with my wife and son (20 months old with paid seat), all three of us were offered free seat reservations on all flights. I did make the reservation over the phone with AC, so they made all of the reservations at once. Obviously that doesn't include preferred seats, and for the longer flight, paying the extra $50/seat for the preferred seats on a Rouge plane felt like fantastic value for the extra space. I realized that extra space is that much more appreciated when travelling with family than solo.

Of course, IRROPS can throw a wrench into your plans. This happened on one of the YOW-YYZ legs, where a last minute aircraft change from an E190 (2x2) to an A320 (3x3) meant we were stuck in an exit row with our son (not allowed) and the only remaining seats on the plane were middle seats (because of how they re-distribute seated passengers when going 2x2 -> 3x3). AC reservations was no help, and we solved this one by standing by for an earlier flight with more empty seats.

On the way back, we self-inflicted the same situation by standing by for an earlier flight (YYZ-YOW) that didn't have seats together. My wife and son found seats together at the back, and I was at the front. Once the seat belt sign was off, I moved myself to an empty seat closer.

Moral of the story: Don't expect AC to do anything to help you sit together if you haven't already. Even if you have, things happen...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by stinger
hahahaha THIS
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:03 pm

Oh its not just IRROPs. Even an aircraft change days out can screw it up. Ive been shifted around myself from a preferred and even a pod to a domestic J, but my colleagues four preferred seats for two kids got the kids thrown half the cabin back.

If you book seats, its worth checking there are no changes a few days out. I dont know if cows app would be helpful here?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Yeah I believe if it's one child you get one seat next to child. The other one is open to chance.

There was a recent thread about this also related to preferred seats I believe; I don't think it differs for 'standard' seats.
I fly transoceanic routes a lot with my family. With minors, seat booking is free in non-preferred seats.

I haven't flown domestic or transborder since having the second kid, but with one all three of us could select together for free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.