yyz-pdx

Old Feb 2, 18, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 25K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles Silver and a few more
yyz-pdx

Looking to fly YYZ-PDX. Won't be able to take the direct flight, so am lookig at a choice of connections in YYC or YVR ? Any recommendation as to the better connection experience?
Old Feb 2, 18, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flying chef View Post
Looking to fly YYZ-PDX. Won't be able to take the direct flight, so am lookig at a choice of connections in YYC or YVR ? Any recommendation as to the better connection experience?
For me, the quickest possible connection offers the best connecting experience. I sometimes book a 30 minuted connection, but I wouldn't really recommend that to everyone,
Old Feb 2, 18, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 25K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
For me, the quickest possible connection offers the best connecting experience. I sometimes book a 30 minuted connection, but I wouldn't really recommend that to everyone,
I've connected to US in YVR and it was a terrible experience. I'm wondering if YYC is more user friendly
Old Feb 2, 18, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
What time of day do you want to arrive at PDX?
Weekend? Weekday?
What is your maximum connection/layover time that you're willing to do? Shortest?
Are you flying J? Y? Do you want PE?
Old Feb 2, 18, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I've connected to US in YVR and it was a terrible experience. I'm wondering if YYC is more user friendly
I'm not sure what made it a terrible experience for you. They both involve a long walk. YVR might be a little longer. They both involve going through Customs and Security.
Old Feb 2, 18, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
I'm not sure what made it a terrible experience for you. They both involve a long walk. YVR might be a little longer. They both involve going through Customs and Security.
Does YYC transborder have a NEXUS security line that is ALWAYS slower than the regular line, even when the regular line has 100 people and the NEXUS line has five people?
Old Feb 2, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum. SPG/Marriott Hilton all gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Does YYC transborder have a NEXUS security line that is ALWAYS slower than the regular line, even when the regular line has 100 people and the NEXUS line has five people?
Agreed, YVR NEXUS and Global Entry are incredibly slow, almost always slower than regular screening. I also wonder if YYC is better (have my first connection there in March).

Upside though, YVR-PDX is only in the air for 45 minutes, and during January and February the flights are never that full (I think there were 10 people on my PDX-YVR last Thursday)
Old Feb 2, 18, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
From an operations point-of-view, connecting in YVR is a better option during IROP's as YYC-PDX I believe is once daily, unless we are talking in the summer when I think it goes twice. YVR-PDX has multiple frequencies all year round. So if your transcon is late flying west, if you fly via YYC you would probably get rerouted via YVR anyways, and have to worry about availability on both YYC-YVR and YVR-PDX. If you are flying YYZ-YVR, you simply get on the next YVR-PDX flight with availability.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: