FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Electronic Boarding Pass to Nowhere (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1891508-electronic-boarding-pass-nowhere.html)

RatherBeInYOW Jan 31, 2018 10:15 am

Electronic Boarding Pass to Nowhere

I am pretty sure in the past that I've had the AC app tell me that I could not get an electronic boarding pass when checking in at some AC outstations. Seems like it has been a while though, nothing in recent memory.

However, as a public service message, the AC app will happily give you an electronic boarding pass to depart DEL but customs is letting you go nowhere without a paper one. Which you'll find out after spending 30 mins in line when you get to the front and get turned away, forcing a retreat to the AC counter for a paper one and a line up all over again. So either the app doesn't block you from an electronic boarding pass any more, or it doesn't do it for DEL when it should.

KenHamer Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

So what's the problem?

RatherBeInYOW Jan 31, 2018 10:44 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 29362544)
So what's the problem?

That I spent 30 mins in line to be told to go back out to the AC counter, spend more time in line there for a paper boarding pass, then go back to the customs area and spend 30 mins in that line all over again. All because the AC app gave me an electronic boarding pass for an airport that doesn't allow electronic boarding passes.

CZAMFlyer Jan 31, 2018 10:46 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 29362544)
So what's the problem?

Some threads aren't about problems. I believe the intent of the post was to notify DEL travellers of the following:

However, as a public service message, the AC app will happily give you an electronic boarding pass to depart DEL but customs is letting you go nowhere without a paper one.

jasdou Jan 31, 2018 11:18 am

Given the propensity of Indians for stamping things, I would never think of travelling with 'just' an electronic boarding pass.

yyznomad Jan 31, 2018 11:21 am

There have been a smattering of new threads here each year regarding this.

I always have the paper BP with me for any situation such as this (but not only this, as this is only one type of situation).

(would be nice if the OP mentioned DEL in the thread title)

Plumber Jan 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29362766)
There have been a smattering of new threads here each year regarding this.

I always have the paper BP with me for any situation such as this (but not only this, as this is only one type of situation).

(would be nice if the OP mentioned DEL in the thread title)

I agree- Maybe I am just old school, but I always want a paper boarding pass for all flights, doesn't matter to me if its Domestic, Transborder or International...

KenHamer Jan 31, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW (Post 29362593)
That I spent 30 mins in line to be told to go back out to the AC counter, spend more time in line there for a paper boarding pass, then go back to the customs area and spend 30 mins in that line all over again. All because the AC app gave me an electronic boarding pass for an airport that doesn't allow electronic boarding passes.

Yes but why would Air Canada care?

RangerNS Jan 31, 2018 12:34 pm

If I don't have a paper boarding pass, how would I allow disgruntled GA's to vent and humiliate me by folding, spindling, or mutilating them?

yyznomad Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 29363081)
If I don't have a paper boarding pass, how would I allow disgruntled GA's to vent and humiliate me by folding, spindling, or mutilating them?

I usually have five or twenty printed out.

Then I put them into all of my pockets, into my socks, cracks, carry-on, etc. One gets Rip Torn? No problemo!

totti Jan 31, 2018 1:19 pm

What is so difficult to understand about the OP's post. It is indeed strange that AC sometimes does not issue electronic BPs because they claim documents need to be checked even if they don't as you got an electronic BP for the very same flight with the very same documents just a week earlier and at the same time they issue an electronic BP for an airport where electronic BPs are generally not accepted.

As for online vs. print: I personally try not to have a printed BP. For one it is a waste of paper and it is one thing less I need to worry about. Also, I never had an issue with an electronic BP and except for my phone battery being low which is entirely my fault/problem and very easy to fix.

jc94 Jan 31, 2018 1:20 pm

I believe, as in another recent thread, the issue here is Indian airports (the other thread was BOM related) like paper.

In the other thread I commented that I've heard/experienced needing a paper print out of my proof of e-ticket to get into the airport and heard that a BP on my phone would not be sufficient. Some people said that was incorrect, others said it was. Who knows.
If I travel around anywhere outside of US/Canada/UK ... I take paper copies. And this includes things like eTA/ESTA proofs - anything electronic. I've even had customs (US) demand to see paper copies of hotel bookings before, and a friend had the same thing in a different trip.
And while I too always try to get a paper BP from AC; in one case the agent said it was impossibru. Fortunately that wasn't in India.

yyznomad Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by totti (Post 29363269)
What is so difficult to understand about the OP's post. It is indeed strange that AC sometimes does not issue electronic BPs because they claim documents need to be checked even if they don't as you got an electronic BP for the very same flight with the very same documents just a week earlier and at the same time they issue an electronic BP for an airport where electronic BPs are generally not accepted.

As for online vs. print: I personally try not to have a printed BP. For one it is a waste of paper and it is one thing less I need to worry about. Also, I never had an issue with an electronic BP and except for my phone battery being low which is entirely my fault/problem and very easy to fix.

Sure, but the fact is, people have posted on here that they have had issues with NOT having a printed BP, such as the OP.

IROPS situations posted here in this forum have also presented issues for e-BP-only passengers, who have lamented on not having a printed BP at the time.

There is no difficulty in understanding the OP's post.

Bohemian1 Jan 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29363137)
I usually have five or twenty printed out.

Then I put them into all of my pockets, into my socks, cracks, carry-on, etc. One gets Rip Torn? No problemo!

Or, you can use them as decorative floor covering, like The Cow.

Me, I intend to use them hand towels on the A/C since it appears we don't get those anymore.

yyznomad Jan 31, 2018 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 29363691)
Or, you can use them as decorative floor covering, like The Cow.

Me, I intend to use them hand towels on the A/C since it appears we don't get those anymore.

Could use them as toilet paper as well.