Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Electronic Boarding Pass to Nowhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic Boarding Pass to Nowhere

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Or, you can use them as decorative floor covering, like The Cow.

Me, I intend to use them hand towels on the A/C since it appears we don't get those anymore.
OH MY GOD I HAVEN'T TAKEN A PHOTO OF MY EYW BPs
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
IROPS situations posted here in this forum have also presented issues for e-BP-only passengers, who have lamented on not having a printed BP at the time.
I understand that there are situations where having a printed BP gives you an advantage. Fortunately, so far I have not been in a situation where this was the case including several IROP situations.I also make sure to have a pdf version of my BP that I can print if necessary.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:42 pm
F 1

Thanks for posting this. I travel so much now relying solely on my electronic boarding pass, this is a good reminder that a paper boarding pass is never a bad idea.

Do Indian airports still require you to show some kind of ticket or itinerary before entering the terminal? It's been 10 years since I've been there.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
OH MY GOD I HAVEN'T TAKEN A PHOTO OF MY EYW BPs
Sorry to get you in a panic. It was not my intention. Really.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by F 1
Thanks for posting this. I travel so much now relying solely on my electronic boarding pass, this is a good reminder that a paper boarding pass is never a bad idea.

Do Indian airports still require you to show some kind of ticket or itinerary before entering the terminal? It's been 10 years since I've been there.
This is what I was taught and experienced; but even people that go their regularly seem to have mixed thoughts ranging from "absolutely not" to "definitely".

Could use them as toilet paper as well.
Is this the reason you gave to the customs agent who was offended by your stack?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:04 pm
Used to be highman123

The last few times I flew out of Delhi internationally no paper BP was required. I was even allowed in by reciting my flight number and showing my passport (no electronic BP either). Defintely requires 'sweet talking' but it's not hard.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Is this the reason you gave to the customs agent who was offended by your stack?
It was the domestic security CATSA peon-worker at YYC. He wanted a reasonable explanation as to why I had all those boarding passes, and if they were all indeed with my name on them. Then he proceeded to slowly scan through all 500+ of them and kept on insisting that I give him reasonable answer.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
The last few times I flew out of Delhi internationally no paper BP was required. I was even allowed in by reciting my flight number and showing my passport (no electronic BP either). Defintely requires 'sweet talking' but it's not hard.
To be clear it's "proof" of a ticket to enter the airport; that could be a print out of your TA reference, an AC (or any other) PDF or something you made in paint.

How do the agents handle their obsessive need to stamp every BP with only an electronic one? Did your phone get stamped or have they gotten used to electronic ones?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:16 pm

Well, it isn't as bad as BR where you can get an electronic boarding pass on your phone and it will be accepted by security screening but EVA will NOT let you board without a paper boarding pass.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Could use them as toilet paper as well.
Esp since Indian airports are unlikely to have any in their domestic terminals.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:34 pm

I had a similar experience at MAD last month. Went to the (empty) priority lane for security with electronic BP, and was sent away to get a paper version that also needed to be stamped at the AC desk. Still not sure why.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by jc94
I believe, as in another recent thread, the issue here is Indian airports (the other thread was BOM related) like paper.

In the other thread I commented that I've heard/experienced needing a paper print out of my proof of e-ticket to get into the airport and heard that a BP on my phone would not be sufficient. Some people said that was incorrect, others said it was. Who knows.
If I travel around anywhere outside of US/Canada/UK ... I take paper copies. And this includes things like eTA/ESTA proofs - anything electronic. I've even had customs (US) demand to see paper copies of hotel bookings before, and a friend had the same thing in a different trip.
And while I too always try to get a paper BP from AC; in one case the agent said it was impossibru. Fortunately that wasn't in India.
I had no issue using my phone to get in to the terminal in DEL and BOM this week, showing an email with my ticket. The problem isn't the terminal door, it is the apparent need for both customs and security to stamp the BP once inside the terminal.

I prefer to just use my phone for a BP as a general policy. Less paper wasted, one less thing to keep track of. I usually don't have much of a problem but my travel is mostly US and Western Europe. I should have guessed India would be an issue given that I'd been there for a week and taken several flights, but I figured since the app issued me the BP it must be okay for an international departure. Nope. Lesson learned.

@yyznomad Apologies, I should have included DEL in the thread title. I was a bit tired and grumpy in the SQ lounge in DEL last night ;-)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by F 1

I was in BLR recently and they wanted to peruse the itinerary before they'd let me in.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by jasdou
Given the propensity of Indians for stamping things, I would never think of travelling with 'just' an electronic boarding pass.
And they prefer to use a very strong, thick ink which doesn't dry for an hour so when you put the double stamped (they have a need to stamp it at least twice) boarding pass into your passport, you get a permanent photo copy of the stamp in your passport for a souvenir.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by mendy7511
And they prefer to use a very strong, thick ink which doesn't dry for an hour so when you put the double stamped (they have a need to stamp it at least twice) boarding pass into your passport, you get a permanent photo copy of the stamp in your passport for a souvenir.
Yep, I have experienced this. The ink from the stamp on my boarding pass smeared the ID page in my passport. The next Indian officer that checked my passport would not let me through because of this. Thankfully, I had some alcohol-based wipes in my carry-on bag and was able to remove the ink stain and I was let through after several rounds of questions.

Last edited by jasdou; Feb 2, 2018 at 8:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.