Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Toronto family out $8K after AC booking goes wrong in Iran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

A Toronto family returning from a trip to Iran had to spend almost $8,000 in extra tickets and expenses because of a mix-up that prevented their infant daughter from getting a boarding pass.

“The guy told me ‘your ticket has an issue,'” said Amir Chegini, explaining the response at the British Airways ticket counter in Tehran on Oct. 27 last year.

Chegini, his wife Tannaz and nine-month-old daughter Niki were returning from Iran after a vacation when suddenly they faced an intractable problem: British Airways refused to permit their daughter on the aircraft, even though both parents had valid tickets and their daughter’s name appears on the tickets and itinerary.

“They said the Air Canada record doesn’t match the British Airways record,” said Chegini, explaining the first of several conversations at the airport.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3994459/air-canada-booking-mixup/?utm_source=GlobalEdmonton&utm_medium=Facebook

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 29, 2018 at 10:52 pm Reason: Brief article summary as per FT Rules
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like AC is very confident the issue is totally BA's....
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Why would anyone buy a run-of-the-mill, non-codeshare BA flight on 014 stock? Is there any advantage at all? It seems like a really good way to set yourself up for a headache... or worse.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
Why would anyone buy a run-of-the-mill, non-codeshare BA flight on 014 stock? Is there any advantage at all? It seems like a really good way to set yourself up for a headache... or worse.
Alternative is probably Iran Air. So, makes sense I would say. Not many options.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
Alternative is probably Iran Air. So, makes sense I would say. Not many options.
Wouldn’t the alternative be to book the BA flight with BA directly? The BA flight wasn’t a codeshare, so presumably there wouldn’t even be a price benefit (ie round-trip savings) to buying from AC.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Wouldn’t the alternative be to book the BA flight with BA directly? The BA flight wasn’t a codeshare, so presumably there wouldn’t even be a price benefit (ie round-trip savings) to buying from AC.
One advantage is the ability to through check luggage, and if there is a delay then it's better to have things on one ticket than on separate tickets.
I've bought combined AC/BA tickets before, although from BA. That preserved my BA baggage allowance from the long haul on an AC domestic flight; otherwise I'd have had to pay bag fees on AC.
Depending on the routes, there can be a cost advantage to booking as one ticket; the domestic add on is basically free.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
When a novice flyer (someone who hadn't spent hours and days reading FT), buys a ticket from A to B, and one airline will sell them the ticket, how are they to even suspect that it could be complicated?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
One advantage is the ability to through check luggage, and if there is a delay then it's better to have things on one ticket than on separate tickets.
I've bought combined AC/BA tickets before, although from BA. That preserved my BA baggage allowance from the long haul on an AC domestic flight; otherwise I'd have had to pay bag fees on AC.
Depending on the routes, there can be a cost advantage to booking as one ticket; the domestic add on is basically free.
Cool, thanks for that ^ I figured interline agreements were just ways for airlines to be glorified OTAs with little or no benefit to the customer. Glad to know it’s nore nuanced than that.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:11 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Stranger
Sounds like AC is very confident the issue is totally BA's....
But then AC is always confident that it is always someone else's issue.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
When a novice flyer (someone who hadn't spent hours and days reading FT), buys a ticket from A to B, and one airline will sell them the ticket, how are they to even suspect that it could be complicated?
Flying halfway around the world to a place (that while might be "home") that is suspicious at best, with an infant, is an inherently complicated process.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Article does state a FF with AC. That notwithstanding, I suspect someone who tosses 18k without much concern is someone who has bought the privilege to act as a "novice" flyer, and both AC and BA should be so lucky to have customers like this.

​​​​​A PR nightmare for both, and mud slinging is just immature.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
How else would one get a through-fare?
Millions of these tickets are sold daily.
My last Asia trip was on an AC ticket, but included ( non-codeshared) flights on CA and KE.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Millions of these tickets are sold daily.
My last Asia trip was on an AC ticket, but included ( non-codeshared) flights on CA and KE.
My understanding is the gentleman bought an AC ticket that was a combination of AC and BA flights. AC frequently offers good P fares where you fly AC across the Atlantic and then connect to BA for the onward leg. I have flown Canada-LHR-PRG and Canada-LHR-JNB this way in the past 2 years. The cost of both tickets (with the connection in LHR) was significantly less than AC business class Canada-LHR alone, never mind the additional BA flight.

{Update to add: a PRC90 fare YYZ-Tehran-YYZ on AC, including flights on BA from LHR, is C$3644. YYZ-LHR-YYZ alone, potentially on the same AC flights, is C$5245. All before surcharges and taxes.]

I also empathize with the frustrations of a multi-airline ticket with no-one taking responsibility for a snafu. About 5 years ago I nearly got stranded in BOM when an AC-issued Canada-(AC)-LHR-(9W)-BOM return ticket got messed up, though this was a code-share. In my case, a combo of being able to phone my travel agent, and a proactive 9W check-in lead who put me on "non-rev, to be sorted out later" saved the day. I think these issues get magnified whenever one is at an outstation where local staff are more worried about losing their job due to not following the rules than customer service.

Not sure this gentleman had an alternative, but I've carefully limited my use of the "pull out my credit card and pay and sort it out later" to paying more to the *same* airline that screwed up. Getting a charge reversed/refunded, at worst treated as a write-off by the airline, is always significantly less difficult than persuading Airline A to fork over cold hard cash to a passenger to reimburse what he/she paid to Airline B.
DrunkCargo likes this.

Last edited by montrealer; Jan 30, 2018 at 6:26 am Reason: add
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Originally Posted by montrealer
My understanding is the gentleman bought an AC ticket that was a combination of AC and BA flights. AC frequently offers good P fares where you fly AC across the Atlantic and then connect to BA for the onward leg. I have flown Canada-LHR-PRG and Canada-LHR-JNB this way in the past 2 years. The cost of both tickets (with the connection in LHR) was significantly less than AC business class Canada-LHR alone, never mind the additional BA flight.
Thanks folks, that's the part I didn't quite grasp. I had always (clearly wrongly) assumed that interline connections were offered out of convenience and had no impact on fare. Basically, I thought it was like buying separate one-way fares on a single ticket. As far as I'm concerned, the one good thing to come out of this thread is I learnt a little something. Just a shame that it cost that family an extra $8k

{Update to add: a PRC90 fare YYZ-Tehran-YYZ on AC, including flights on BA from LHR, is C$3644. YYZ-LHR-YYZ alone, potentially on the same AC flights, is C$5245. All before surcharges and taxes.]
Thanks for the quantitative example ^
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
{Update to add: a PRC90 fare YYZ-Tehran-YYZ on AC, including flights on BA from LHR, is C$3644. YYZ-LHR-YYZ alone, potentially on the same AC flights, is C$5245. All before surcharges and taxes.].
Similarly, I have done in J:
YYC-YYZ (AC) YYZ-LHR; LHR-LIN (BA) for ~$2100, while YYC-LHR was ~$6K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.