Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Toronto family out $8K after AC booking goes wrong in Iran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto family out $8K after AC booking goes wrong in Iran

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I have had all 3 kids as lap kids on AE tickets at some point or other to and from Asia, with multiple airlines including AC, UA, TG, and CA that I can recall, No issues.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Has anyone here with aeroplan tickets on multiple airlines had issues with their lap infant not getting out on all their tickets properly?
I've had issues with infant tickets at least 3-4 times last year, despite them having their own eticket number and attached to one of the parents. On AC, always during check-in, but they were able to resolve it in about 5-10 mins. No issue on Thai Aiways. Issue on EVA, which took around 40-45 mins to resolved in TPE.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
You bet you I will respond. You are off on a delusional assertion based upon false assumptions. First, did you notice the part where I stated that I believed that the Iranian ground staff acted appropriately? Secondly, whatever my views are on EK, they have no relation to the subject at hand. EK provided a flight that went to Dubai. This did not require AC or BA's consent or approval. EK can do whatever it wants in its own space. And anyway, I don't know why you assume that I have an issue with EK, other than the fact that it receives direct state support since it is owned by the state Investment Corporation of Dubai. Nor are the rules that apply for travel from Iran to the UAE necessarily the same as those that apply for Tehran to an EU airport. How about, not assuming incompetence on the part of the local Iranian BA personnel?

The local EK ticket agent provided a ticket. We don't know how it was purchased do we, but they plaintiffs are posing for a photo in the business class cabin, so that should give you an idea that the people involved were not simpletons incapable of caring care for themselves.
Newsflash, the chap does rather well for himself and he isn't going to be having a garage sale anytime soon to raise money.

You ever do business or deal with compliance issues in that region? Security is significantly tighter on flights to the EU than it is on the regional flights. The paper work is reviewed ,the head counts are checked and the passenger manifestos are filed and cross checked. Rather than criticize the local Iranian BA staff, I am giving them the benefit of the belief that they were doing their jobs.
You could have said all of that without stating: "EK isn't the most detail-oriented of airlines in that neck of the woods is it?"

Instead, given the context (ie- my post on the exit visa nonsense, that you quoted), you concluded with a statement that clearly suggests that:
  • the pax may have been responsible for an exit visa issue.
  • That he may have gotten around this visa issue because "EK isn't the most detail-oriented of airlines in that neck of the woods is it?", which is a gratuitous swipe, albeit consistent with the antipathy you've expressed towards EK elsewhere in this forum. Given that you haven't substantiated that claim (yet), it's not a leap of logic to see it as a reflection of bias, rather than an assessment of the facts at hand. Which makes your views of EK relevant.
As for the rest:
  • He didn't buy an EK ticket to Dubai. He bought an EK ticket to LHR, where he caught his original AC connection. The "rules that apply for travel from Iran" would take his final destination into account.
  • Do you actually know if the rules are or aren't "necessarily" the same? Why not check instead of speculating?
  • You assume that I assume incompetence on the part of the local Iranian BA personnel. I don't. I assume that there is no exit visa issue (despite that valiant attempt by a poster to obfuscate), and I assume that this was a simple case of two systems not communicating properly.
  • Given that he was already at the airport and made his connecting AC flight in London, I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to assume he bought his ticket at the EK ticketing office at the airport. That would be the simplest explanation anyway.
  • His financial affluence is irrelevant here. A ticket was issued and one segment was not honoured. I don't know why that happened, but given that he departed the country in time to take his LHR connection flight without visa issues, I don't think accusing him of not sorting out exit visas amounts to anything other than obfuscation. Nor do I think that EK overlooked this phantom visa issue because of its lack of attention to "detail".
  • I don't know what point you're making about compliance. He's a pax heading to LHR. His paperwork would need to be in order. I don't know what you think you know about the region, but security is tight for all international flights there. Do you have any proof that Iran-UAE flights aren't subjected to the same paperwork reviews/head counts/passenger manifesto cross-checks as any other international flight? I somehow doubt that any country with exit controls would allow that, your assumptions about "that neck of the woods" notwithstanding.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by YOWzer
I've had issues with infant tickets at least 3-4 times last year, despite them having their own eticket number and attached to one of the parents. On AC, always during check-in, but they were able to resolve it in about 5-10 mins. No issue on Thai Aiways. Issue on EVA, which took around 40-45 mins to resolved in TPE.
Good to know.

We're planning a trip with my sister and her lap infant and we were looking at flying EVA!

After adding the infant on aeroplan, do you think it would be worthwhile to call EVA as well?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:06 am

Can we separate this issue from Aeroplan and Star Alliance tickets? Tickets involving different (non same alliance) airlines are pretty common with those issued by travel agencies. Basically they are contract/wholesale rates with options on different airlines if the major airline cannot get you to the final destination.

For example - before codesharing was widespread AC ticket between YYZ-SIN will involve AC to HKG or NRT, then another airline of choice between HKG/NRT - SIN..... CX, SQ, NH, UA etc etc...

I think you can still find them on ITA Fare Matrix by selecting the Multiple Airlines option
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Good to know.

We're planning a trip with my sister and her lap infant and we were looking at flying EVA!

After adding the infant on aeroplan, do you think it would be worthwhile to call EVA as well?
Definitely call to confirm the infant eticket number and booking reference.
1) Is EVA your first leg or connection?
2) Are you taking EVA from YYZ or TPE?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So in the end, whose fault was it?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
So in the end, whose fault was it?
No new information.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by YOWzer
Definitely call to confirm the infant eticket number and booking reference.
1) Is EVA your first leg or connection?
2) Are you taking EVA from YYZ or TPE?
I'll give EVA a call once we've added the lap infant.

1) EVA connection
2) Taking EVA from TPE
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
No new information.
Per media BA and AC are pointing fingers at each other right now.....so the passengers will have to sue everyone in court for reimbursement & damages (which i assume its court & legal related costs)
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
With internet access, should even be possible online? But who knows, for departures from Iran, how these things work, what the cutoff would be?

Also, it is possible that the infant needed an exit visa.

I would not be surprised if at the end of the day, the mess was the guy's fault really.
More reading and less posting is advisable.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by KenHamer
But then AC is always confident that it is always someone else's issue.
one thing about AC they never do anything to help a customer they just blame someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.