Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Crediting to another program - how to use *G status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold

I'm currently an AC 50K and am planning to "migrate" to Asiana's program (which I have no status). My question is - how will I be able to take advantage of my AC Star Gold status when I'm crediting to Asiana's program (tickets will have my Asiana membership number on them)? For instance, will I be able to just show my Star Gold card and use the business class check-in and get into lounges? What about priority boarding?

I know there are a number of board members who have done the same in previous years. How was your experience during the transition year?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
I think it depends upon the benefit. I don't think it should matter for lounge access - show the card. I know a lot of people keep one number on the record (with their *G) then once at the gate ask the agent to update to the program they're building up.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
My guess is that after the outbound flight, I would have to once again update the program back to AC so that I can take advantage of Star Gold benefits during my return flight?

How hard is it to ask the gate agent to update the program? I assume it's easy but I wonder if they get annoyed by a request like this...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
In our experience we used the card to get all benefits except baggage. AC check in agents were either unable or unwilling to allow bags on our AC status while our UA number was on the itinerary. In contrast Thai and United were able and willing to do it. In our case, as my wife and I were travelling together with equal status we used her account to get bags with AC and mine to collect points with UA. The plan was to reverse the process the next year but it proved unnecessary, as we found we could get the agents in the United Clubs to make the change at our first transfer point. They did it in seconds without any hesitation. The Lounge at YQR is also accessed by scanning your boarding pass. That wouldn't work either, if not for the workaround regarding one with AC and the other with UA described above. At all other lounges and priority boarding at gates the card was enough.

With regards to your last point it would depend if Asiana is able to give you baggage etc based on your AC *G while crediting Asiana . The card works for all other benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.