Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How do Bassinets and Business class work?

Old Jan 27, 18, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada E50K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Platinum

Hi there,

Thinking of taking the red eye in the late spring to go YEG - YYC - MCO.

First segment is on an A319 and second segment is on a 767-300.

We envision 4 of us travelling in J cabin, my wife and me, and my two parents.

So my question is, how does the bassinet work for Air Canada in general, and then more specifically for business class?

Do you request it at the gate? Are there certain J class seats that are better for a bassinet setup?

Anyone have experience with this? My daughter will be 10 months or so at the time of travelling. She has done day time runs to Vancouver without issue. We read that the red eye and early morning flight would be the best ones for the little ones.

Please share any advice you have for this upcoming trip!

Thank you!
Old Jan 27, 18, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you mean that the five of you will be travelling? :-)

(Took me a while to figure out who needed, a bassinet, your wife, your parents or yourself. Until further down a fifth person appers...)
aquamarinesteph and trooper like this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
Hot sure about narrowbodies, but for widebodies I believe that the Dream cabin (Executive pods) allows bassinets on row 1 D/G seats only, so this would apply for 77W/77L/788/789. The 330 and 767s do not allow bassinets in J.
Old Jan 27, 18, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Haha absolutely right - 5 of us, forgot to mention the daughter!

So these planes won't be wide body, so that means no bassinets will be available for these flights?
Old Jan 27, 18, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Oh the 767-300 is even on AC Rouge... so a business class ticket for that is 'premium rouge' right?
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by Erome View Post
Oh the 767-300 is even on AC Rouge... so a business class ticket for that is 'premium rouge' right?
Yes, business class equals premium rouge which will be very similar to the business class seat on the A319.
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:56 am

Programs: aeroplan
Here is the link for travel with children on AC - https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html .
The blurb re bassinets only refers to economy. I always find it funny when airlines do not address bassinets in business as I see it as a subtle message that infants belong in coach (I've taken my baby (now 8) in business so I don't fall in with that line of thinking). Note though the following:
"Bassinets can be used only for infants weighing less than 12 kg (25 lb) who are unable to sit upright;"

If your baby will be 10 months old, it is very possible (and likely) that the bassinet will not be suitable regardless of what cabin you are traveling in.
Old Jan 28, 18, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree View Post

If your baby will be 10 months old, it is very possible (and likely) that the bassinet will not be suitable regardless of what cabin you are traveling in.
That was our experience in Ethiopian J, sat in Row 1 and requested the bassinet but our 7 month old barely fit and wouldn't sleep in it. Be prepare to wear your baby or share your lie-flats with them.
Old Jan 28, 18, 7:35 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat75, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
I've done bassinets on AC and UA with my kids, and 10 months old is definitely too old for the bassinet. Rule of thumb that one FA told me was between 6 to 8 months, depending on the development of the child, and that she has refused children older than that due to the safety issue.

If you ever want a bassinet, call ahead, right after you book your ticket. Do not wait until the gate, as most likely those seats have been taken or other families may have requested the bassinet. As others mentioned they are only in certain rows in Y and J, but if you call in, you have priority on them.

My first trip was at 2 months from YYZ-GRU, and I wish I had done my research about bassinets! I was in J, and ended up just sleeping in a pod with my baby beside me.

They will be installed once you've reached cruising altitude, and have a mesh over the top you're supposed to snap down to cover your child for safety (same as us being told to wear seatbelts when seated), which is why a child who can sit up is too old. If there is turbulence, you'll probably be asked to pick up your child and hold them.

Ad for timing, there is no perfect timing! Every child is different, and what works for one parent may not work for another. At 2 months my child slept 90% of the 11 hour trek to Brazil. At 14 months to Europe we one again booked a red-eye, leaving YUL at 8pm. Big mistake - he was so excited by all the planes, flying, noise, etc., that he actually didn't sleep on the plane.

At one point it was indicated by an FA that there was a nice open area at the back of the plane to walk around and soothe him, which was a "get your child out of business class" message. My wife and I arrived in Zurich destroyed, but thankfully our family there took him while we slept. We swore we'd never fly again... but we have many times, with mixed results.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:18 pm

Programs: aeroplan - no status
With the Bassinet, it is 25lbs or if infant can sit up on their own.

787 has a integrated bassinet for 1D.
Old Mar 16, 19, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I booked 3 seats on the 787 (ICN-YVR and YUL-NRT) but it looks like the only bassinet seat 1D is taken. Since I am late to the game, I am unable to select those seats.

I'm curious how folks would react to a seat swap request (assuming they don't have their own infant of course). Having the baby in a bassinet for a long flight would make a huge difference to both the baby and the parents.
Old Mar 16, 19, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWzer View Post
I booked 3 seats on the 787 (ICN-YVR and YUL-NRT) but it looks like the only bassinet seat 1D is taken. Since I am late to the game, I am unable to select those seats.

I'm curious how folks would react to a seat swap request (assuming they don't have their own infant of course). Having the baby in a bassinet for a long flight would make a huge difference to both the baby and the parents.
That might well be a case for Mr/Ms 1D to lose his/her seat assignment.
Old Mar 16, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: Altitude 50K
Originally Posted by YOWzer View Post

How thoughtful of you to bring an infant into J on a long haul flight.
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
That might well be a case for Mr/Ms 1D to lose his/her seat assignment.
unless Mr/Mrs 1D has that seat selection for the same reason
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post

unless Mr/Mrs 1D has that seat selection for the same reason
Indeed.