Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No leniency for changed medical plans for family members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum

Looking for some advice here-
I have tickets for 2, YVR --> YYZ in premium economy cabin (outbound flight was result of AC bid upgrades, return flight purchased).

I leave Jan24 and return Jan28.

My father was scheduled to have surgery today in Toronto, hence me arriving a few days after to help out. Now, due to hospital/surgeon issues, his new OR date is rescheduled for January 29. The office provided documentation regarding the change.
Called AC- they are quoting me 600$ to return on Tuesday/Wednesday per ticket... that seems crazy.
I cannot find specific policy on this issue as its not any travelling party that is sick, but still, hospitals change dates for surgery often and this must impact visiting family members plans. I was given no help from AC, after complaining they considered waiving the change fee of only 50$ making my fee to stay an extra 48hrs still over 500$.

Secondly, as the outbound premium cabin was the result of an bid upgrade, I was told that the initial seat fee charge would be refunded. The agent had no idea about this and said if it will happen it would occur on the date of travel.

Any thoughts? As a fairly new frequent flyer, I find AC and I'm sure the industry at large very difficult to deal with and get any valuable customer service.. maybe when i'm SE that will change haha
Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:59 pm
F 1

Sorry to hear about your dad's surgery. Knowing that surgery times are routinely moved around, this is one of those unfortunate situations where you can't win either way and I don't think this is something that only AC is guilty of. If you book it far in advance, you may save money by hoping the dates don't change. Or wait until the day before surgery and pay the last minute higher fare. It's no different than me booking client meetings, which also get shifted around all the time. They cancel last minute and I get stuck rescheduling my tickets at whatever cost that is. At least AC waived the change fee for you, which shows some leniency. Hope your dad recovers quick!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks
At that price though I would just book a tango or west jet flight last minute, especially if they rebook it again! My issue is with the amount of the change fee, which I think when there is good reason for the change they should really bring it down. (even if one of your clients had to reschedule a meeting because of surgery/death/crime etc and had documentation I would hope airlines would view that as different than someone who cancelled for other reasons). Especially for altitude members from whom they should expect continued revenue.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
There are two things they are charging you: a change fee (penalty for making a change), and the difference in fare from you booked to what’s currently available.

It it seems they are giving you some consideration by waving the change fee. One way a premium economy fares for YYZ-YVR on 31/01 are showing as $1500 (1274 base fare plus taxes). Most cheaper fares for PY on the route are available at 30, 21, and 14 days out, so assuming you booked much earlier, the fare difference you are being quoted is in line with that. By waving the change fee you are paying what you would be paying for booking a last minute ticket (in the PY cabin)
You could downgrade to a Flex fare in Y and probably only pay a minimal difference (if any).

if you have travel insurance you could try to see if this is covered, although since you are not the one who is having surgery, I think this is probably unlikely.

Have there been any schedule changes since booked? If so you might be able to use that to get a change or refund (and then buy a different flight).

Beaides all that, I honestly wouldn’t expect AC or any airline to make exceptions for things like this as it’s really not their fault, and they do offer flexible tickets for sale. It never hurts to try though.

i hope your dad makes a speedy recovery.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I mean... the CBC is always an option
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I mean... the CBC is always an option
Well, I haven't seen an AC article on CBC for months now. Maybe AC ad CBC have somewhat reached a secret agreement. Miss the days when we get a CBC article almost on a daily basis
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This should be an easy claim on most travel insurance policies, e.g. changed medical needs of immediate family.

AC seems to have waived the change fee which is quite decent. The fare difference is what it is. Would not be any different had you booked for these dates in the first place.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
This should be an easy claim on most travel insurance policies, e.g. changed medical needs of immediate family.

AC seems to have waived the change fee which is quite decent. The fare difference is what it is. Would not be any different had you booked for these dates in the first place.
Trying to see if any credit card policies would cover this, and I acknowledge other responses above regarding the reasons for the change fee and difference fee. I just think the cost benefits of booking early shouldn't be completely negated if a change is requested...
I'll look at this as a mile gaining opportunity and just book a separate flight in economy and hope to use my Eups on the second flight.

Any word on whether I can expect a refund of seat selection fee once bid upgrade was successful?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by songsc
Well, I haven't seen an AC article on CBC for months now. Maybe AC ad CBC have somewhat reached a secret agreement. Miss the days when we get a CBC article almost on a daily basis
Perhaps it is because other media outlets are scooping the CBC?
Family frustrated with Air Canada over Jamaican vacation plans - CityNews Toronto

In respect to the OP, it's all in the fare buckets. I often buy discounted business class fares because that's the only way AC is competitive with my preferred airlines of EVA, KLM and Cathay. When I want to change, wham, bam I always have to pay for a higher fare class since there are no P,Z left. Sorry.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
I agree with the replies. Waiving the change fee is reasonable given the circumstance and I give AC credit for making this gesture. This is the type of empowerment the company is now giving their staff to keep and retain customers and is something that should be applauded.

However, waiving the fare difference is not a reasonable request. I always give this example... if you book a hotel the week before Superbowl it is $99. Superbowl weekend it is $399. Just because you change your plans, you shouldn't expect to be able to keep the $99 rate. Supply and demand.

Same here, the cost to fly on that day is different than the cost for the flight you originally booked. So the fare difference should apply. The value of the seat on a different flight can be higher or lower - in this case it is higher.

Insurance *may* cover this - you would have to check your policy.

Best wishes on the speedy recovery.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If they were willing to give you a credit to use later as you wished, you could book Flair Air for just over $500 cad return. There are also Aeroplan award options if you have miles.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Trying to see if any credit card policies would cover this, and I acknowledge other responses above regarding the reasons for the change fee and difference fee. I just think the cost benefits of booking early shouldn't be completely negated if a change is requested...
I'll look at this as a mile gaining opportunity and just book a separate flight in economy and hope to use my Eups on the second flight.

Any word on whether I can expect a refund of seat selection fee once bid upgrade was successful?
If changing from that advance purchase cheapie was NOT going to cost more than a later purchase, then wouldn't EVERYONE with half formed or uncertain plans book "on spec" and change close in.....???
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
If changing from that advance purchase cheapie was NOT going to cost more than a later purchase, then wouldn't EVERYONE with half formed or uncertain plans book "on spec" and change close in.....???
Yes- but its not like I'm cancelling and asking for a refund or a major change.

I do think if someone books a flight early and as the date approaches a relatively minor change is requested (+1-2 days, with good reason (medical etc)) then the change fee + fare difference should be mitigated in some way. Clearly I'm not trying to scam AC or just get a good deal by booking very early.

There's no win here, as I said I'm using this ticket and just booking another and counting it all towards AQM.

Now, no one has responded wrt getting some seat selection fee refunded after getting a successful bid upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
I do think if someone books a flight early and as the date approaches a relatively minor change is requested (+1-2 days, with good reason (medical etc)) then the change fee + fare difference should be mitigated in some way. Clearly I'm not trying to scam AC or just get a good deal by booking very early.
Airlines were early adopters of extracting every penny from every customer at every possible moment... to their advantage, but also to the advantage of those with fewer pennies to be extracted. Any single point is explainable, the system is chaos. The system makes sense, any single point is absurd. Take your pick. It is neither, it is both.

You got a cheap flight because people who book long in advance are only able to spend a small amount. You got the change fee waved because there is some "compassion". The rates available today are bigly compared to when you booked because the business people who make snap decisions to fly within a week aren't spending their own money.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
OP, if AC is waiving the change fee, and just charging you any difference in fare, consider

1) ask them to cancel the ticket but leave funds open to rebook the same routing (which should be allowed within a year of original travel date). with any luck you will be able to do an advance booking 21+ days out and get the same fare
or
1a) same as above, except confirm the new dates all on same call
2) doing NOTHING until a couple hours before your flight. If it is delayed, or there is a weather warning on AC.com for your origin or destination, you won the 'didn't buy travel insurance' lottery, and may be entitled to make your change with zero fare difference.

EDIT: SO CLOSE, OP! Daily travel outlook for Jan23, but not Jan24, YYZ - low ceilings. free rebooking using our online rebooking http://services.aircanada.com/irrop/...rebook?lang=en

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 23, 2018 at 11:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.