Wiki Posts
Search

Power to your seat ... or not.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM
Power to your seat ... or not.

5 out of my 6 AC segments in 2018 have had no power at my seat. Including the flight I am on right now ... which has the extra bonus of no working IFE.

FAs just seem to shrug when I point it out.

I don't want to write in to get a 5% off code, I just want working power to my seat so I don't arrive with 10% battery left on my laptop. Apparently this is too much to ask?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have had it happen in J and Y.

Generally, I travel with one of these https://www.amazon.ca/Belkin-3-Outle.../dp/B00ATZJ5YS and share with my neighbour if needed

Not the answer you are looking for, however it is a good backup
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
5 out of my 6 AC segments in 2018 have had no power at my seat. Including the flight I am on right now ... which has the extra bonus of no working IFE.

FAs just seem to shrug when I point it out.

I don't want to write in to get a 5% off code, I just want working power to my seat so I don't arrive with 10% battery left on my laptop. Apparently this is too much to ask?
A frustrating issue, I agree. Over the last couple of years, I'd say I'm slightly under 50% on narrowbodies and close to 100% on widebodies. Of course, it's almost always on narrowbodies that I'm trying to work and really need the power outlet to work.

​​​​I was on a 321 at one point in 2016 where I think only 3 or 4/14 outlets in J worked. Got a 10% off code for that.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Try again after takeoff?

My high power USB charger can alone brown-out the outlets when on the ground. I've never noticed an outlet not come to life after takeoff. Of course, I probably only try 10% of the time, and I've never tried to use a laptop.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
One tip I've used to some success in the past is to use a UK plug (or adapter) with "non-working" universal outlets on planes. YMMV.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Try again after takeoff?

My high power USB charger can alone brown-out the outlets when on the ground. I've never noticed an outlet not come to life after takeoff. Of course, I probably only try 10% of the time, and I've never tried to use a laptop.
Yeah, that's not it. A lot of the outlets, especially on the 320 family, are just broken and don't work. It's a well-known issue that, according to a seemingly well-informed SD, is due to a design flaw in the wiring. Maintenance regularly fixes them and they stop working again soon thereafter, or they can't find the problem and can't get it fixed.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
These inoperative outlets used to drive me crazy -- until I started using a tablet as my main travel device. I know it's not a solution for everyone, but it definitely works if you have the choice. Plus, your shoulder will thank you
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Are we talking about Dreamcabin outlets? I've barely had issues with them... but on the XM planes, I've had a ton of issues with both the power and usb ports (not necessarily at the same time).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I have been told that the outlets on the Airbus narrow-bodies only deliver 60-65W, max.

I can't speak to the accuracy of this, but I have since discovered that while my 85W Macbook charger is unusable on this aircraft - that is to say, when I plug the Macbook charger in, it acts as it would if the outlet were simply dead - my 45W Dell charger works just fine.

Take from this data point what you will.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Unplug and replug doesn't (usually) work. I'll try the travel adapter trick to see if it works though, thanks!

@Adam Smith is right though, I think it is just many of them are just inoperable. This year off the top of my head:

767: 0/2
320: 0/2
E190: 1/1
E175: 0/1

So yeah @yyznomad, all older / XMed planes. I've got a bunch of 787-9 flights coming up which, based on my experience in the last couple of years, are much more reliable.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I have been told that the outlets on the Airbus narrow-bodies only deliver 60-65W, max.

I can't speak to the accuracy of this, but I have since discovered that while my 85W Macbook charger is unusable on this aircraft - that is to say, when I plug the Macbook charger in, it acts as it would if the outlet were simply dead - my 45W Dell charger works just fine.

Take from this data point what you will.
I've had my MacBook work just fine though, so I don't know. In several cases recently (including today) I even tried my iPhone charger and it wouldn't work either, and that certainly is not drawing 85W.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
For Y

A320: 0/1
767: 0/1
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:26 am

From reading on the net and here on FT, the outlets are supposed to be rated for 90w max. My track record is pretty good, but I generally don’t ride the narrowbodies. From what I have read, it is usually because someone either inserts something not meant to be inserted or when they disconnect, they pull the module partially out and damage the socket.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Power or not? How about a third option - sort of. For example - 767... MacBook adapter plugged in directly does not work but will work when you attach it using the extension cable.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
They also only work once in flight, or at least once engines are on right?

I remember asking the SD what was up with it not working while at the gate once (waiting for someone) and was told it would start once we took off.
This didn't help given my laptop battery is good for maybe two hours and I didn't anticipate spending over an hour waiting for the aircraft so it wasn't fully charged on boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.